Boatmad.com

Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #41

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

If you are racing down in the western solent between the West Lepe Buoy and Lymington - which is where they were going to race - then there ain't no spectators, that's the rub!!!!!!!

If you want to impress your possible sponsors, who are primarily interested in the "corporate aspect", then there could be no better or impressive place in the world than Cowes with all it's history and tradition.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #42

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Class 3 will be racing at Torquay and not at Cowes.

Sorry for error and any competitors that have booked accommodation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I find the fact that the Class 3 fleet and the V24’s don’t want to support what is effectively the celebration of one of the greatest offshore powerboat races of all time very disappointing and disturbing.

Times change and so do people but I can’t help feeling disappointed in what is the lack of support from fellow clubs. So how can they expect the Marathon boats to support their races if they can’t do the same?

ML.

I'd have thought that the above quote from Ciao, which I read as him not realising that class 3 and V24 were going to be racing in Torquay, is possibly the very reason why they decided not to go to Cowes. It makes him seem like he's totally out of touch with what he no doubt perceives to be the "less glamorous side" of offshore racing!

For years now, the smaller classes have had to play second fiddle to the larger boats, and is the very reason why I disliked the venue when I raced in the 90's.

All IMHO of course

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
I'd have thought that the above quote from Ciao, which I read as him not realising that class 3 and V24 were going to be racing in Torquay, is possibly the very reason why they decided not to go to Cowes. It makes him seem like he's totally out of touch with what he no doubt perceives to be the "less glamorous side" of offshore racing!

For years now, the smaller classes have had to play second fiddle to the larger boats, and is the very season why I disliked the venue when I raced in the 90's.

All IMHO of course
Ciao only raced the "less glamorous side" of racing - so a Flawed Argument?

As to Class 3 & V 24 I am sure you have better snouts.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #44

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Ciao only raced the "less glamorous side" of racing - so a Flawed Argument?

More reason for you to know their needs!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
More reason for you to know their needs!
Thanks and more reason for you to know the whole story -

Now, go have a curry, drink a heavy glass of wine and come back when you have got the facts.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #46

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

cowes

in reply to OldMans comments, class3 are supporting v24 and ocr because they have supported us at our events! When in the last 3/4 years have marathon supported us!
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
in reply to OldMans comments, class3 are supporting v24 and ocr because they have supported us at our events! When in the last 3/4 years have marathon supported us!
NEVER - But we would have like to have tried in 2010.

Water under the bridge now mate.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #48

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

cowes

as usual too little too late!
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #49

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

I feel the most important part is that we are keeping the Torquay end of the event very much alive !! To that end we, OCRDA & ORDA are fully supporting and will be very much a part of the Cowes - Torquay 50th anniversary celebrations.

Bob
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #50

Thanks Bob, will ping you over the poster ideas tomorrow.
Old 13-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #51
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
When in the last 3/4 years have marathon supported us!
'Marathon' didn't exist until 2009, so it would have been somewhat difficult to support Class 3 in 2006/7/8.

Remember, Marathon was only born in '09, out of the interest from RB08. It's very much still in it's infancy. Give it a chance!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #52

The destruction begins

That was the first day of tearing the sport apart,and will keep going until there is so much bad feeling that to repair it will take years.
Here we are with a bad economy,Honda Boats already in dissarray,sponsorship hard to come by,health & safety rampant,lack of people with the capability to organise races and now we add shop stewards to split it even further.The smaller classes gripe has been festering for years and years,just waiting to poke Cowes in the eye.
Forget `we have a race in Torquay at the same weekend unfortunately`.Good grief,do you honestly think that argument is credible.If one believes that,then just talk it through for heavens sake.
Every sport needs it`s showpiece event and this does nothing to enhance it whatsoever.Even a blind man, when seeing the split in classes over 100 miles,could see it`s the result of a fued within the ranks.
The sport will go on, but it could have been so much better under a united organisation.Utter madness.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #53

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
That was the first day of tearing the sport apart,and will keep going until there is so much bad feeling that to repair it will take years.
Here we are with a bad economy,Honda Boats already in dissarray,sponsorship hard to come by,health & safety rampant,lack of people with the capability to organise races and now we add shop stewards to split it even further.The smaller classes gripe has been festering for years and years,just waiting to poke Cowes in the eye.
Forget `we have a race in Torquay at the same weekend unfortunately`.Good grief,do you honestly think that argument is credible.If one believes that,then just talk it through for heavens sake.
Every sport needs it`s showpiece event and this does nothing to enhance it whatsoever.Even a blind man, when seeing the split in classes over 100 miles,could see it`s the result of a fued within the ranks.
The sport will go on, but it could have been so much better under a united organisation.Utter madness.
As usual the "voice of reason" FF and 100% on the button but you can't stop the Green Eyed Monster unfortunately. You can only put on events, as I have over the last three years, in the hope that the rest of the sport will respond and until now they have.

Also there are certain forces at work who would prefer that the CTC never ran again in its current format and would prefer a TCT but I am not going to go there. Not yet anyway!!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
I feel the most important part is that we are keeping the Torquay end of the event very much alive !! To that end we, OCRDA & ORDA are fully supporting and will be very much a part of the Cowes - Torquay 50th anniversary celebrations.

Bob
I see it that way too.

Even better if we had a compulsary 30 min stop for a nice cup of tea just like the old days.

After all Torquay these days only get to see a flash of boats go by.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Thats the trouble with getting old 1 year blends in to another
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #56

You what!!!!! Green Eyed Monster???

Brian, Pat & Shirley, to name a few, have been consistently and reliably supporting the rest of the classes by putting events on for several years. And they do it with the minimum of thanks and sod all cash - much like you did the RB08.
I think you need to consider carefully before accussing people of jealousy - there's nothing to be jealous of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
...you can't stop the Green Eyed Monster unfortunately....
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #57

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Have just been told that was cancelled due to European calender.
lucky you!!! shame i havent!! but i guess you are more important than the actual competators!!
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #58
numbskull

Can we stop the bickering already! You lot sound like feckin Honda.

I've no idea what politics might be at work re: Torquay / Cowes 50th, all I know is, I'd be mortified if we were to lose Cowes as an event, not least because of it's historic value. If you ask someone from another part of the world if they've heard of the Bournemouth Grand Prix, or Southern Speed Trophy, they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about. But ask if they've heard of the Cowes Torquay Cowes, and invariably, they have. That is a great 'brand', and one that needs supporting and maintaining, ESPECIALLY a milestone event like the 50th. Why is it so bloody hard to get everyone smiling at each other?

Events like Cowes must surely have a better chance of attracting overseas competitors, so I feel we should all push to make it (as Graham says, a showpiece) race, and at least 'try' to put ego's and differences of opinions to one side for the good of the sport.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 13-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #59

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I see it that way too.

Even better if we had a compulsary 30 min stop for a nice cup of tea just like the old days.

After all Torquay these days only get to see a flash of boats go by.
Dont see where all the bad vibes are coming from !! surely this way we can entertain both ends !! the past couple of years might just as well have been the Cowes-Cowes race as there has been very little Torquay about it !! So this year I felt that rather than just go to torquay as marshels and Safety (Yes there are a team of helpers at Tq) then why not have a race ?? so that is what we are doing. The fact that Class 3 & V24 would rather do TQ than Cowes is irrelevant. The Icing on the cake would certainly be a compulsory stop over in Torquay to let Joe Public dribble over some of the boats as they used to. Surely the object of an Anniversary event is to make it as near as possible to the original.
WE ARE DOING THIS TOGETHER as we keep saying its not them & us its just US !!
Old 13-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #60
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Surely the object of an Anniversary event is to make it as near as possible to the original.
The 'Original' didn't return from Torquay.