Boatmad.com

Old 02-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #21
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Zapcats and to a slightly lesser amount V24, are like Formula 1 cars and rallying run as a dictatorship - not run by 3/4 different clubs and a toothless governing body.

IMHO the only way the sport will ever succeed is for it to be organised by one body / person who has an interest in how it turns out.

It was pointed out to me that people go to meetings, travelling miles and miles to organise 1 or 2 races a season, surely if they were organising all the races thier time would be better spent and 4/5 different committeess weren't discussing the same issues?

So many of the races aren't even promoted locally so that even the locals are suprised when a bunch of powerboats turn up, but looking at zapcats, they arrive with drums banging and flags waving - so it can be done!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #22

Interests: Cruising
Boat name: Blue Ice
Boat make: Scorpion 7.5m RIB
Engines: Yamaha 200 hpdi
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookee
Zapcats and to a slightly lesser amount V24, are like Formula 1 cars and rallying run as a dictatorship - not run by 3/4 different clubs and a toothless governing body.
This is probably not very relevant but I'd be interested to know how this situation (3/4 different clubs organising the events) evolved and whether Cookee's idea has ever been seriously considered. I guess the difficulty would be in getting the clubs to agree which of them should take on the sole responsibility. Would they all fight over it or all try to walk away, I wonder?

Old 02-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #23
BananaShark Member

I believe UKOBA tried to do something this year, and they now organise Hondas races for them but the clubs all want to be in charge is what I've been told - true or not I believe it is unlikely to happen unless there is a crisis situation.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #24

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
IMHO the only way the sport will ever succeed is for it to be organised by one body / person who has an interest in how it turns out.

It was pointed out to me that people go to meetings, travelling miles and miles to organise 1 or 2 races a season, surely if they were organising all the races thier time would be better spent and 4/5 different committeess weren't discussing the same issues?

The only problem with that is you would need to employ someone/a group of people to do the whole job, as it would be far to time consuming for a volunteer.

It used to be done that way by UKOBA back in the 90's with Iain Stewart-Ross, and we had some excellent racing, but with the lack of entries and competitors, where would the money come from to pay for it. Obviously a series sponsor is whats needed, but I can't see that happening as what has the sport got to offer!

Bit of a chicken and egg situation. What does suprise me is how almost all forms of motor sport are so well supported, with the exception of Powerboat Racing.

I still think that the biggest problem in our sport is the governing body, when we launched the Honda series in 99 I desperately tried to steer them away from being involved with the RYA, but the head honco at Honda liked the Royal part, and was brainwashed into believing that without them it couldn't happen!

My honest opinion was that they were only interested in licence fees, even tried to charge a measurement fee, (didn't pay that one as it was a "one design" out of one mould so they'd all be the same length)

And then look at Rib racing, they had enormous entries for their club races and then they get sucked up by the RYA and they're fckd.

I don't know what the answer is, but I've a pretty good idea wot it aint!!!
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #25

Please forgive me if I'm being naive, but couldn't each club take responsibility for one of the classes of racing? Or is that entirely unworkable? Sorry if that's a stupid question!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Davis
What does suprise me is how almost all forms of motor sport are so well supported, with the exception of Powerboat Racing.
Surely this is because the vast majority of adults own a car or at least can drive (and a proportion of them will be enthusiastic enough to want to watch it as a sport) whereas only a very small minority own/drive boats? The number of boat owners/drivers who will want to follow the sport of powerboat racing becomes a tiny one.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #27

No, it wouldn't work. Powerboat racing is unique in that each race often has 6 or more classes running at the same time, with the same rolling start and finish.

It's one of the things that make it so difficult to explain to the holiday maker who happens to be on the beach when it's happening.

Another problem would be that there are so few entries that you quite often get only 1 or 2 boats in a class.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Powerboat racing is unique in that each race often has 6 or more classes running at the same time, with the same rolling start and finish.

It's one of the things that make it so difficult to explain to the holiday maker who happens to be on the beach when it's happening.

Another problem would be that there are so few entries that you quite often get only 1 or 2 boats in a class.
But maybe these aspects are part of the problem? Why can't the races be run separately? How can there be a race if there is only one boat in a class? It's not just the poor tourists who get confused - at the Torquay racing earlier this year, even the commentator couldn't keep track of what was going on!

Once again, apologies...
Old 02-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Nobber
Surely this is because the vast majority of adults own a car or at least can drive whereas only a very small minority own/drive boats?
Almost certainly, but take a ride round the country and count the amount of "motor" powered boats in marinas etc, and you realise that there's an awful lot of people who could be attracted, but aren't.

A possible solution would be to have a "club house" situated in say the Solent area, and organise club racing at a weekend or in the evening. This has proved very popular at the RM. Again the problem of funding arises, so we need a rich bloke like Jono to put his hand in his pocket and buy us a property, beach front location, big slipway and a bar licence!!!!!

One of the guys who works for me is into sailing, he races on a tues and weds night, and some weekends in R19's (dunno what it is, but it's probably 19' long). It's club racing in Poole Harbour, and most events around 100 people turn out to compete or do safety!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Why can't the races be run separately?
Most races last around an hour, so six races = 6 hours...

Major problems would be tides, disruption of sail boat racing, BOREDOM, getting safety fleet to stay out that long, etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #31

You're right about the chicken and egg! Why would a clubhouse etc be necessary, though? Yes, it would be nice and might persuade a few people who otherwise wouldn't leave their cosy homes, but to start with surely just a few enthusiastic people with boats are needed?

How are things done in other countries (especially the US)? Are there any lessons to be learned there?

P.S. I know absolutely nothing about British powerboat racing and even less about US powerboat racing so please don't beat me up too much!!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Most races last around an hour, so six races = 6 hours...

Major problems would be tides, disruption of sail boat racing, BOREDOM, getting safety fleet to stay out that long, etc, etc, etc.
OK so how can the boats be better distinguished from one another or the races be made easier for spectators to follow? A simple answer would be all boats of a certain class to be painted a certain colour but I can't see the likes of Carly Baby and Cookee wanting to go down that road (or passage, if you prefer )! A good commentator would be a start - someone who actually knows about the boats s/he is talking about. Maybe boards placed at popular spectator points which enable the boats and their classes to be identified? There could also be printed fliers with these kinds of details. I know, it all costs money! But it needn't cost much to begin with (limit the number of boards and fliers). Any other thoughts, anyone, or shall I just go away now...
Old 02-09-2004, 09:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Why would a clubhouse etc be necessary, though?
Loads of reasons, somewhere to meet, get pissed, talk bollix, get pissed, get changed, pre race briefings, get pissed, prize giving, the list goes on & on....

Did I mention getting pissed.

The racing me mate does in Poole is organised by his yacht club, a members club jointly owned by the members. A large part of it's revenue comes from its dining and drinking facilities!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #34

Quote:
or shall I just go away now...
No, not at all, all input is most welcome. The colour thing would be a problem, boats that have sponsorship have corporate colours, logos etc. The commentator bit is always a problem, the only people with the knowledge aren't always public speakers.

The Americans are suffering the same as us, but to a lesser extent due to the enormous amount of people in the country.

The one thing they have done is move the course inshore, and have multiple laps up and down the beach.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #35

Yeah, and a clubhouse would be a nice luxury to get at some time in the future but it is just that - a luxury! In the meantime, surely the local pub will do for "somewhere to meet, get pissed, talk bollix, get pissed, get changed, pre race briefings, get pissed, prize giving"? OK, so maybe not the getting changed bit but you get my point? A tent will do as a changing room!

The Poole racing - this could happen at other yacht clubs, surely? Has anyone approached any of the Solent based YCs? Or could the Poole races be expanded?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #36

Quote:
The commentator bit is always a problem, the only people with the knowledge aren't always public speakers.
There must be someone out there??? Does one commentator travel to all the venues or are there different commentators at each venue?

Quote:
The one thing they have done is move the course inshore, and have multiple laps up and down the beach.
Is this the answer for the UK? It seems a shame not to have the longer distance races (part of powerboat racing heritage, and all that) and I guess most if not all the racers enjoy the long stretches but maybe in the short term 'beach lap' races would help to get more of the public interested, then longer term the longer races could be reintroduced?

How well (if at all) do the national newspapers cover powerboat racing? And the TV stations? Why don't we see charter boats taking people out to watch the races?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:09 AM   #37

Quote:
?

How well (if at all) do the national newspapers cover powerboat racing? And the TV stations? Why don't we see charter boats taking people out to watch the races?
I've taken the day off to do me vat, tidy me office, clean me truck. Well not entirely true as my wife in Scotland and she said I've got to walk the dogs, feed the horses, hoover, clean the windows etc, but I'm having fun and you ask intelligent questions, something that is lacking at the AGM.

It was once said by Chris Lewis that tonights AGM will be a good one, Max is going to ask some "probing" questions, Max said F all!!! But anyway, I'm going a bit off track....

You very rarely see any coverage in National news papers, used to read a bit in the Mail when they were a sponsor, and the Telegraph used to print results on a Monday.

Local papers do their bit if someone can be bothered to tell them, perhaps we need a press officer.

Cowes event had one, didn't read much about that!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #38
BananaShark Member

It is often the same guy that comentates.

We offered a spectator boat for a couple of races but it requires comitment and when races are cancelled, the information on race times etc arrive sometimes the week of the race (I once returned after a race weekend to find information in my letterbox) it is an uphill battle I was unwilling to carry on with.

As with any event of this sort advance planning and the disemination of information is key to success.

We have managed to get some local news stations to cover us in the past but the clout of a big orgainsation like the RYA are needed to get more coverage.

Companies like Fastrax need paying if they are to cover events such as ours because they can't recover all of thier costs otherwise!

Old 02-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #39

Quote:
I've taken the day off to do me vat, tidy me office, clean me truck.
Oops! Sorry. I'll shut up in a minute!

What about getting into schools and getting kids fired up about it. They'll then persuade their parents that they really HAVE to go and watch a race...

Do any of the racers do anything like that? I know schools are usually very glad to have volunteers who will go in and talk in assembly or take part in a special event or whatever. Not everyone's cup of tea and, of course, it may interefere a little with the working day but most racers can be a bit flexible, I'd have thought? And what kid wouldn't like the chance to sit in a race boat and talk to a real racing driver?

Also, I don't remember there being much of a 'racing presence' at LBS in December. If every racing team did a stint, each team would only need to cover half a day at most. Videos could run of past races, next year's dates publicised, a race boat on show for people to have a look at, info on how to get involved, etc.

Sorry if these ideas have already been tried!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #40

Quote:
It is often the same guy that comentates.
If it's the one who did Torquay, he didn't seem very knowledgeable (sorry if he's reading this). I don't know whether he just doesn't know much about the racing, or whether he hadn't been briefed very well, or whether he was finding it difficult to listen to his radio and talk at the same time...even Richard and I knew more about who was racing and in what class! He seemed to be just trying to relay what he was hearing from other people, prsumably further along the course. He didn't give any 'additional info' as they do on, say Formula 1, when the commentator has facts and figures about the car, driver, track, previous races, championship points, etc.

Quote:
We offered a spectator boat for a couple of races but it requires comitment and when races are cancelled, the information on race times etc arrive sometimes the week of the race
How do the yotties get on with this? They seem to have charter boats out for spectators.