Go Back   Boatmad.com > The Muster Area > General Racing Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 13-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #21

Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
I have just noticed that the P1 race in Tunisia is June 20/21/22.

So that will mean a conflict with the 2008 Round Britain race.

So that "knocks" four boats off the entry list for the 2008 Round Britain race.

So in the above post you say "as far as I'm concerned we'll be using the RB08 classes as a start point", and then you hold an event the same weekend as the 2008 Round Britain race.

that's the reason why we didn't payed anything yet for the RB, as they told me P1 would calculate this in their calendar.... guess not Would love 2 race RB, but hey.... also wanna race P1 and Bahrein looks a nice venue.

ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #22

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Damned poor show if you ask me.
O'Toole's reputation as a gentleman is shot to bits, by going back on his word and handshake not to put on any P1 event during the RB 08. Means not just 4 boats out bt a loss financially of more than 40000.
As much as I want the CTC to be back on O'Toole should be black balled from Cowes.
Count your fingers if you shake his hand

TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #23

[
Quote:
QUOTE=ForTwo;123756]that's the reason why we didn't payed anything yet for the RB, as they told me P1 would calculate this in their calendar.... guess not Would love 2 race RB, but hey.... also wanna race P1 and Bahrein looks a nice venue.[/QUOTE
]

I'm a huge fan of P1 how ever agreement or no agreement to arrange a P1 race the same time as RB8 is scandelous.

Why would you want to do a P1 race when the RB will probably never be organised again. Your loss.

Hopefull the MD of P1 will explain seeing as he posts on here.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #24

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

While not wanting to defend P1 management on their race allocation planning, it is possible there was little choice available to them, after all it seems likely they also pondered the eventuality of many boats missing on their own starting grid should it coincide with RB 08 this in turn would damage their own promotional series...would it not be better to shoot Jim O'Toole an email and discuss it away from the negative aspect of an open public forum and when it's all been beaten out and all party's now exactly what transpired then perhaps enlighten on a public forum thereby taking away this negativity that was so prevalent in last years postings...Sorry guys just my take on things
Old 13-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #25

Really we should be happy as all the main contenders could be out of RB8

But were not in it for the glory. Were in it to have Fun, Adventure,Team Spirit and to be part of offshore Powerboat History.
Old 13-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #26

Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

Would be a shame not racing RB08, realy looked foreward to it, but it will be my 3th P1 season and improving every year, now that we will have a competitieve Evolution boat we have to race P1... but hey, let's chill, afterall it's a provisional calendar, maybe it's better not skinning the bear before it's shot. (or however you Brits say that )
ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
No UK P1 venue

On another note, I see how P1 used to the CTC announcement to cloak the fact that the UK will not be hosting a P1 event this year.

Why was Cowes not financially viable for a P1 event, but just fine for a P1 backed CTC?
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #28

I applaud P1 resurecting the CTC, even tho I spent several months find a way of putting it on and allowing to run either as a poker or even under some form of basic with an entry fee of approx 150 per boat. But what I am deeply annoyed about is that the person has broken his word.....................
Old 13-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #29

[
Quote:
QUOTE=cfun;123767]While not wanting to defend P1 management on their race allocation planning, it is possible there was little choice available to them, after all it seems likely they also pondered the eventuality of many boats missing on their own starting grid should it coincide with RB 08 this in turn would damage their own promotional series...would it not be better to shoot Jim O'Toole an email and discuss it away from the negative aspect of an open public forum and when it's all been beaten out and all party's now exactly what transpired then perhaps enlighten on a public forum thereby taking away this negativity that was so prevalent in last years postings...Sorry guys just my take on things[/QUOTE
]

Couldnt agree more. However he could just make a public statement instead of talking behind closed doors.
Old 13-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
marketing guy

Engines: huge
Cruising area: bath

Send a message via ICQ to Jim O'Toole Send a message via Skype™ to Jim O'Toole
ctc/cows/p1

I have never been accused of being a gentleman, so not too worried that my reputation on that front has been shot to pieces.

a couple of facts:

-the p1 british GP was a serious loss maker, we made no secret of not having a British event, in fact we fronted up with
it on Friday
- we have a cordial relationship with IOW/Cowes but not the relationship we enjoy with other venues
-the budget for the ctc will be lower therefore addressable by sponsorship and entry fees
- my undertaking to the rb08 was to do my damndest not to conflict, sadly money talks and we have to go where/when the venue invite us/pay us.....usually to extend their tourist season
- per our press conference on Friday I gave a further open and very public undertaking to endeavour to persuade our Tunisian hosts to work with us to move the date back to facilitate the rb08 date
- I have 24-30 teams who needed a schedule to help their planning and investment for the 08 P1 season, not just the 4 provisionally entered into the rbo8.....most of whom I have been able to reach to discuss the problem, we may well see some reserve drivers in play, which as long as they are registered is fine, so a potential solution on that front.

I hope this helps, personal e mails welcome, with honest and even gentlemanly responses.

JOT
Jim O'Toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Toole View Post
I have never been accused of being a gentleman, so not too worried that my reputation on that front has been shot to pieces.

JOT
Let us hope your friends and business connections take careful note!
Old 13-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #32

Your comments on reserve drivers is
1, is not allowed under UIM rules, but then you write rules to suite.
2, even if Vee, Yan and co do want to run RB 08 how the hell can they afford 2 bloody boats??????????????
Sorry sir you reasoning dosen't wash....
Old 13-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #33
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Toole View Post

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #34

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Your comments on reserve drivers is
1, is not allowed under UIM rules, but then you write rules to suite.
2, even if Vee, Yan and co do want to run RB 08 how the hell can they afford 2 bloody boats??????????????
Sorry sir you reasoning dosen't wash....[/QUOT
E]

1 Give the guy some slack. I asked him to respond and he has. My concern was they would block P1 guys from RB8 he obviously hasn't give him some respect

2 How do you know that can't afford 2 boats.

3 If they write there own rules as its there series then let them allow reserve drivers on this very special occasion

4 I would never do CTC under P1 if they were being unreasonable. If they back up what has been said today then were in.
Old 13-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #35

[QUOTE=hunton69;123797]
Quote:
E]

1 Give the guy some slack. I asked him to respond and he has. My concern was they would block P1 guys from RB8 he obviously hasn't give him some respect

2 How do you know that can't afford 2 boats.

3 If they write there own rules as its there series then let them allow reserve drivers on this very special occasion

4 I would never do CTC under P1 if they were being unreasonable. If they back up what has been said today then were in.
With respect, 2 boats, special rules and reserve drivers is delving into the world of fantasy league powerboat racing.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #36

[QUOTE=ciao!;123806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post

Quote:
With respect, 2 boats, special rules and reserve drivers is delving into the world of fantasy league powerboat racing.
Whats wrong with Fantasy's.......Ropes cuffs mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 13-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #37
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

To be perfectly honest, I think there was always a chance that the P1 boats hoping to enter RB08 might fail to make the start line, certainly the petrol powered ones. The setup for P1 is pretty different to what is required for RB, particularly with respect to range.

I think it's perfectly feasable for the Hustler, and Buzzi diesel boats to convert, but whether they would actualy want to, in-between races in Europe is another matter (assuming that is, that the currently conflicting race were moved by a week or so).

Ho hum

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
To be perfectly honest, I think there was always a chance that the P1 boats hoping to enter RB08 might fail to make the start line, certainly the petrol powered ones. The setup for P1 is pretty different to what is required for RB, particularly with respect to range.

I think it's perfectly feasable for the Hustler, and Buzzi diesel boats to convert, but whether they would actualy want to, in-between races in Europe is another matter (assuming that is, that the currently conflicting race were moved by a week or so).

Ho hum
Point taken on the technical issue. (You know far more than I on these things.)

But P1 told RB it wanted to work with it.

Now "money talks", (thread above from Jim O' Toole.)

Surely this is the point ?
Old 13-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #39

Interests: Extreme Sports, Cars, Boats

Send a message via MSN to Rupert Munro
It is very sad that there will be p1 boats missing from the start line for RB08, however, is there not a weekend set aside for p1? If so could this not be used and the reserve date be set for the rb08, therefore allowing the boats to race rb08 if the weekend is not used for another p1 race?

Regarding Cowes - it seems that the lack of a British GP is fully down to the coordinators - the RYA and Cowes harbour master. It is very sad but hey, P1 is a company and can't just payroll the GP to make it nice for us - if the figures don't add up then they simply can't run it - however sad it if for us. I will miss being down there and seeing the P1 boats run but lets hope its more than made up for by RB08 and CTC.
Rupert Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Munro View Post
It is very sad that there will be p1 boats missing from the start line for RB08, however, is there not a weekend set aside for p1? If so could this not be used and the reserve date be set for the rb08, therefore allowing the boats to race rb08 if the weekend is not used for another p1 race?
The RB race has been advertised on the net for the last year or so.

P1 need to race in Tunisia due to funding $.