Boatmad.com

Old 29-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #1

Thumbs down CTC Race - What Gives ????

I have been reading these threads over the past few days and have to say the pathetic attitude of many of those involved in powerboating in the UK is amazing.

You bitch and complain that you want the CTC race back, then P1 comes along and tries to make it happen, then none of you can be bothered getting off your backside and enterting it, supporting an organisation that by rights doesnt have to support this race at all since its not even part of the P1 championship.

Then when they finally decide its not cost effective to run it to their high standards, and yes I have been to one of their races so I can comment on that, you all again bitch and complain that you are being hard done by. Like Jon Fuller said, it isnt their fault, its your own fault for not supporting the event.

And now some of you come out saying that you are going to run the event anyway, under the auspicies of BP something club. If this race was so important to UK offshore racing then why didnt this club just front up in the beginning and put on the event. And all of you that are now saying you are going to enter the race, where the hell were you before.

I have a lot of respect for people like Mike Lloyd who ran the round britain race, it takes a lot of cajones to organise an event like that for a group of boaters that from what I have seen are more interested in bitching and moaning, than helping to keep a tradition going.

Anyway get your act together guys and try and support those who support you, as the amount of people out there to keep offshore racing alive in the UK is dwindling by the day.

Just my two cents worth.

Ned

H2O - Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Ned, there certainly was some moaning about prices & rules before the race was cancelled, and a good amount of heel dragging and apathy, but I don't see too much moaning about P1 'for' dropping the race. I think most realise exactly why it's happened.

Hopefully we can get an event on in the time we have (read, finance it!) we already have some extremely generous pledges in place from a few people who understand the importance of this race to our calender.

cheers

Jon

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #3

Jon - It would be great to see the race still go ahead but the pathetic attitude of a lot of the powerboat racers over there has to change before the sport will ever have a chance of recovering.

There are a few of you out there, ie: you, Mike Lloyd, John Puddifoot (who I met in Malta) who have the best interests of the sport at heart, but there are too many of the "couldnt find their ass if it was in their hands" brigade who fit into the coulda should woulda catergory. These are the same ones who are now coming out of the woodwork saying "I will enter, lets make it happen".

Where were they before when entry deadlines for the race kept getting extended. ??

I for one would love to see offshore racing gain momentum there in the UK but sadly I fear that with the attitude of many of those involved these days it will continue its downwards spiral.

Take care Jon.

Ned
Old 29-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
numbskull

Well, I can't argue too much with that, except maybe about Puddifoot.

However, we now need to pull together as it's the only way forward.

It's certainly interesting the way people (generally) pull together when faced with what seems to be an 'Against all odds' situation. I don't know if this is just a British thing, or if it knows no international borders, but I've witnessed it a good few times. A bit like supporting the underdog I guess.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 29-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O - Full Throttle View Post
I have been reading these threads over the past few days and have to say the pathetic attitude of many of those involved in powerboating in the UK is amazing.

You bitch and complain that you want the CTC race back, then P1 comes along and tries to make it happen, then none of you can be bothered getting off your backside and enterting it, supporting an organisation that by rights doesnt have to support this race at all since its not even part of the P1 championship.

Then when they finally decide its not cost effective to run it to their high standards, and yes I have been to one of their races so I can comment on that, you all again bitch and complain that you are being hard done by. Like Jon Fuller said, it isnt their fault, its your own fault for not supporting the event.

And now some of you come out saying that you are going to run the event anyway, under the auspicies of BP something club. If this race was so important to UK offshore racing then why didnt this club just front up in the beginning and put on the event. And all of you that are now saying you are going to enter the race, where the hell were you before.

I have a lot of respect for people like Mike Lloyd who ran the round britain race, it takes a lot of cajones to organise an event like that for a group of boaters that from what I have seen are more interested in bitching and moaning, than helping to keep a tradition going.

Anyway get your act together guys and try and support those who support you, as the amount of people out there to keep offshore racing alive in the UK is dwindling by the day.

Just my two cents worth.

Ned
What an insult

1: When ever i watched CTC the class1 and 2 fleet were made up or european boats.

2: I never understood the entree fee for Class1 and 2 ( not a problem if you charge more for a larger boat but please explain what you get for your money P1 never done that )

3: How many P1 boats were entered. Why

4: All the guys who entered RB8 have spent a fortune

5: Some off us still have busted boats and spares are like rocking horse sh-- over here

6: Possible politics played apart in the entree list.

Just a few points.

Watch this space CTC i'm sure will go ahead without P1.

The Bandit team fully supports you Mike and co.
Anything we can do please ask.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
numbskull

OK look, there really is nothing to gain from dissing P1. For them the event didn't stack up finacially, they pulled, end of. But we need their cooperation in picking up the pieces and anyway, who's to say they won't run something out of Cowes in the future. I really wouldn't want to see any bridges burned over a few harsh words said in the heat of the moment.

Lets move on from here and deal with the situation in hand.

Are you on top of it with your replacement block? Can I humbly suggest you funnell some angst into getting the Arse Bandit to the start line off the Royal Yacht Squadron on the 23rd rather than fighting here with Ned.

You have to admit that from the outside, it probably doesn't look all that good.

Old 29-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #7

Hunton69 - Take it as an insult as that was the intention.

I find it pathetic that there is now talk of there being over 40 boats entered for an event that less than one week ago was struggling to have 20 entered. Where the heck were all these entries when P1 was going to run it in a totally professional event way.

Also some of your fellow members here attack P1 for pulling out but how convenient that the BP whatever club never put their hand up in the last year to keep the event running, but now are looked on as the saviours of this historic race. What a load of bullshit.

Mike - Good luck and hope you do run the event but to be honest with the pathetic attitude of a lot of UK powerboaters why the heck would you bother. You did an awesome job on Round Britain and congrats on that.

Ned
Old 29-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
numbskull

Ned, before you get too carried away with ripping the shit out of the racers here, ask yourself why there are now two firm entries from Italy & Austria, that weren't anywhere to be seen during the P1 organisation of the event? You can't blame that on the 'pathetic' British contingency. One must assume, that for their own reasons, two of the biggest names in powerboating, and certainly THE biggest designer name this side of the pond, chose to stay away, after all, it's unlikely that he didn't realise the event was on. I don't see you knocking Fabio.

Right, can we drop the venom now please, it's non productive and I think it's safe to say, everyone knows what everyone thinks.

Like everyone here, I too hope the weekend shapes up as it should.

regards

Jon

Old 30-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #9

Ned, A word of advice from someone who knows sweet FA about powerboat racing because if i did i would never of chucked 1/5 of my huge fortune into RB8

Why don't you wait untill the facts come out before you shoot your mouth off

A Didn't appear to me that any P1 boats were supporting there own P1 event Why?

B Why weren't some off the biggest names in European offshore racing involved

C Why now could there now be 40 boats involved. Questions on a stamp please?

D same advive i gave to trickie dickie with the V-- icky bat boat. Wait for an official annoucement

E Yes the scorpions did ..................................... in my humble opinion
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O - Full Throttle View Post
There are a few of you out there, ie: .... John Puddifoot (who I met in Malta) who have the best interests of the sport at heart.

So you do not have a clue about Powerboat racing then do you?

John Puddifoot has the interests of John Puddifoot at heart, and will manipulate ( and destroy if required ) anything that stops his own adgenda.

Rule manipulation, straight out lies, promices made and then retracted, 'memory lapses' are all part of his adjenda.

The faster he is removed from office- the faster the recovery can begin.

( and yes - I was one of the first paid entries in the event. )

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote