Boatmad.com

Old 23-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

Don Aronow Memorial race 2011

Gentlemen......we have already begun planning for the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon 2011.

We would appreciate some dates and logistical information.

First, what dates will RB11 and Cowes 11 be run on?

Second, how long would it take to ship boats to and from the States to England and back? Port of NY to which port in England?

We are trying to find a date that everyone could work with for our race....perhaps between your two races, maybe July?

Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Charlie

Our race decal and poster from this years race below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Around Long Island 2010 044 (Medium).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	26984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA Around LI Race '100001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	26985  

Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Dates

Charlie, The RYA have applied to the UIM for the 2011 Cowes Torquay Cowes as an international invitation event August 26th - 28th, hosted by the British Powerboat Racing Club.

For shipping best to speak to Mike Bontoft first off, as he has recent experience with Dry Martini & Uno in the mean time I can make further enquiries here.

I'll leave the RB11 info for Dean to reply to when he gets back.

j

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
Gentlemen......we have already begun planning for the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon 2011.

We would appreciate some dates and logistical information.

First, what dates will RB11 and Cowes 11 be run on?

Second, how long would it take to ship boats to and from the States to England and back? Port of NY to which port in England?

We are trying to find a date that everyone could work with for our race....perhaps between your two races, maybe July?

Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Charlie

Our race decal and poster from this years race below.
I be up for that if dates are good, ie school hoildays so end of July would be good, and there is a class I fit in.
RB 11, Round Long island, and C-T-C, better start saving!

I take it you do not have to have fuel stops?
2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-XS-IF View Post
I be up for that if dates are good, ie school hoildays so end of July would be good, and there is a class I fit in.
RB 11, Round Long island, and C-T-C, better start saving!

I take it you do not have to have fuel stops?
Thanks John

No, you do not have to have fuel stops. The mileage is 271. The course runs in a clockwise rotation with the start / finish near the far west and northern side of Long Island..Port Washington, NY.

We are going to try to get some kind of cut rate from a shipping company that would benefit boats from here and there, once we get an idea of dates and the number of people interested.

For your sponsors, don't forget to point out the massive press pool available just a few miles away in NYC. Great place to showcase their products or services to a big audience.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Thanks John

Hi Charlie, that's actually Nick you're talking to there. He owns the Swipewipes boat that we race together.

With respect to class structures, are you intending to set up rules for the US if long distance racing is going to be on the agenda? would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hope you can dish up some good weather for us, and 'Daredevil' can show us the way home.

Jon

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

http://www.roundbritainrace.co.uk/

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Hi Charlie, that's actually Nick you're talking to there. He owns the Swipewipes boat that we race together.

With respect to class structures, are you intending to set up rules for the US if long distance racing is going to be on the agenda? would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hope you can dish up some good weather for us, and 'Daredevil' can show us the way home.

Jon
Jon.....actually I was thanking John Moore for his reply on an earlier post.

As far as rules we are discussing them now and hope to be able to come up with a format that is acceptable to all.

It looks like the USA circuit may expand with a 220 mile race, in the great Lakes, with Chicago as one of the turns.

We have people in California working on something to resurrect an old race out there....maybe even the 400 plus miles of Long Beach to San Francisco.

And then our fourth will be in Florida....maybe Miami to Key West, if we can find a group to work with us down there.

Four races per year for HORBA over here. But first we want to get the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race all set for 2011, then we can work on the others.
Old 24-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:

As far as rules we are discussing them now and hope to be able to come up with a format that is acceptable to all.
Charlie, use the UIM Marathon rules.

Buzzi rang me yesterday, and is keen to see Marathon work on an International level - If you get the venue - (Manhasset Bay Marina), the dates - (Submit to the UIM) - You may have half a chance of attracting some exciting European entries.

Can't wait to see the look on Guy La Motta's face when FB strolls in with Red FPT.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #9

Long Island Racer

Charlie,

It was very nice to be in a race with very simple classes, The race is just fine as it is.... two classes ... two trophies one for Vee bottom & one for cats

The UIM rules will exclude a lot of American boats from turning up & having a great day out, they are biased towards diesels and there are too many classes

Please discuss the rules with us Europeans but do not set the rules for us, set them for you, we do not turn out for our own races so are unlikely to travel to the states

All European boats fit in to your current structure & most of them would have a chance at winning that race........ Job Done
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post

.... two classes ... two trophies one for Vee bottom & one for cats
Sounds like millionaires row, guess we won't be going after all.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 24-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #11

Only if thats how you want it to sound

Race was won by a 30ft boat on a tight budget, well prepared & driven even better

He came & took on all comers..... and beat them all
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
numbskull

Yes, with 4 starters, and the seemingly dead cert overall victor brand new and un-sorted. That will all change, and shipping a boat halfway round the planet in the hope that all the big stuff breaks so you can get a pot doesn't seem a great plan.

One first place for ALL monohulls means bottom feeders like us have no desire whatsoever to make the trip.

580hp in a 32 footer, or 2400hp in a 50??...hang on, let me think.....errr..taxi!.

Old 25-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, with 4 starters, and the seemingly dead cert overall victor brand new and un-sorted. That will all change, and shipping a boat halfway round the planet in the hope that all the big stuff breaks so you can get a pot doesn't seem a great plan.

One first place for ALL monohulls means bottom feeders like us have no desire whatsoever to make the trip.

580hp in a 32 footer, or 2400hp in a 50??...hang on, let me think.....errr..taxi!.
I hate agreeing with you
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like millionaires row, guess we won't be going after all.
Can you honestly see the U.S. running races with two classes.Don`t think they have ever come remotely near it.They like their silverware for every competitor even more than us.
Razzamatazz and sponsors are their stock in trade.Marathon comes for those few who want the old school racing,hence recruiting poker run boats to make the entries up,a la 2010 ( a race that nearly went down the pan,until the Brits turned up).
U.S.Marathon racing ( or to put more accurately,true offshore,not round the cans) has died out in the U.S. for so long,the new breed of racer hasn`t really sampled it,and changing their attitude to racing doesn`t happen overnight.
With our CTC virtually continually running,it`s more in our DNA to do true offshore,and with Charlie being old school,he is one of the few promoting it.
I would think he has a far harder task than we in the UK to sell Marathon racing,despite their armada of old school boat types suited to it.
Even charlie must know that if the pendulum swung such that the entry was full of souped up `Fountains` and `Outerlimits`,with `Sonic` type production hulls wanting to enter,the rules would be worked to embrace them,cos you can`t afford to turn `em away.
Now where have I heard that before.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #15

Well it is nice to see that it is just not we Yanks, who seem to agree to disagree about offshore racing.

Gentlemen and Ladies ( in case there is a young British Betty Cook out there somewhere) We have had some input from some of our more experienced HORBA board members and below is a small example.

We too agree that simpler is better and we want to make it worth everyone's efforts, but in no way intend to play the kid soccer game....over here every kid who plays soccer, even on the losing team, gets a trophy.

Charlie:

Let's not repeat the same mistakes that have bedeviled us for decades..... Adding separate classes has always diluted the overall competition model. I would simply make stopping for fuel optional...but it's the racer's responsibility as far as any time lost in the process.

Frankly, this needs to be as simple as possible..... Limit the classes to 5 or 6....internal combustion only.

Just my .02, we are starting with a clean sheet of paper. At least we should try to avoid the mistakes that put the sport in the backwaters it sits in today.

T2x
Old 25-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
numbskull

Quote:
Let's not repeat the same mistakes that have bedeviled us for decades..... Adding separate classes has always diluted the overall competition model. I would simply make stopping for fuel optional...but it's the racer's responsibility as far as any time lost in the process.

Frankly, this needs to be as simple as possible..... Limit the classes to 5 or 6....internal combustion only.

Just my .02, we are starting with a clean sheet of paper. At least we should try to avoid the mistakes that put the sport in the backwaters it sits in today.

T2x
Wise words from an old hand.

Is there a large enough pool of wannabe long distance racers over there to build this into something Charlie?.. I hope so, Marathon is fantastic!

Old 25-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #17

At this time HORBA is trying to schedule just 4 races for the year that will be spreadout across the country.

New York...Don Arononw Memorial Arould Long Island Marathon...271 miles

Chicago....From Grand Haven Michigan to Chicago and back....220 miles

California.....Long Beach to San Francisco........400 plus miles

Florida....Venue to be discussed. Maybe a Palm Beach to Key West 200 plus miles.

There will be no "World Champion" or even a series champion. Each event is open to any and all competitors, local and otherwise. If you just have a local boat and want to race this kind of racing, you have all year to prepare for it.

If you are from another country and want to leave a boat here for all four races, great, love to have you and I'm sure Mike Bontoft can watch over and move your rig between races.

There is also talk of having a shorter "inshore race" at each event, limited to boats under 30 feet. Perhaps a 75 mile distance to whet the appetite of future offshore stars. Still in discussion, but that is how we seem to be leaning today.
Old 25-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
numbskull

Charlie, here in the UK, we have a rule that to be Marathon compliant, the race must be a minimum 100nm (115 statute miles), is there a similar idea for US Marathon? (and preferably not 'laps', but a there & back (or right round as in your Long Island race). I know find the idea of a lap race completely unattractive.

Old 25-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Wise words from an old hand.

Is there a large enough pool of wannabe long distance racers over there to build this into something Charlie?.. I hope so, Marathon is fantastic!
We have a very big response from a lot of people who love the real prospect of old style offshore racing and had no desire to get involved with beach racing.

Remember these boats are going to be more like sturdy offshore boats rather than the gold plated party boats seen at many poker runs.....meaning, they will be cheaper to build and maintain.

We have drawn a line in the sand and made it clear we are not going back or mixing with the other style racing.

Below is a post I put up in response to a present day offshore racer who took offense at one of Rich's comments.......

Maybe this is the time that we should actually make the break here and say what has been on our minds for a while. I am speaking about the older racers. I know Rich caught some heat from a racer who thought he criticized the modern racers. Let me be very clear and I share this with the other guys I know……..We welcome all racers as brothers in a very special fraternity. Our complaint is with the major sponsors and organizers. They have taken what we all love with a deep passion and made it into a very poor reflection of what it was.

Let me use as an example major sports…pick either football or hockey, whatever you happen to like best. Now you loved that sport as you grew up and you waited every year for the finals…the Superbowl or the Stanley Cup….. and you watched the battles down to the end. Years pass and now football is played without helmets or pads and to get a goal you are only allowed to pass. Or hockey can only be played without pads and there is no checking allowed. The athletes just coming into the sport don’t know any difference, they are playing according to the new rules and they are playing their hearts out. No one is criticizing the athletes the criticism goes to those who changed the rules of the game.

Beach racing is not Offshore Racing !!!! You know it, we know it, but we all dance around the fact that everyone has latched onto that title because it carries a certain cache’ with it. We don’t disrespect in any way the racers who run hydros or Jersey skiffs or SK’s boats or any other type of racing. But don’t run 7 liter hydros and call them Unlimiteds because they really aren’t.

Real open ocean offshore racing doesn’t need a million dollar boat or team. It just takes heart and determination and lots of preparation. That was just proven this past weekend. Too many potential racers are sitting on the beach not participating because they go to the “Offshore” race and see all the equipment and think they can’t afford that. This excellent equipment with great people on every team, pour their hearts out to be there and then they are asked to race around on a 6 mile loop for ten laps. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is not Miami to Nassau or Long beach to San Francisco or Cowes to Torquay to Cowes. It is boat racing for sure, but it is not offshore racing.

All of us have been duped by the organizers who say we need this to attract sponsors and TV coverage. If you race offshore no one can see you and they will lose interest. Really? The Benihana race in New Jersey had so many spectators in the 1970’s, that the Coast Guard required the race to be run on a Wednesday as to try to limit the crowds. Estimates of crowd sizes were in the 400,000 range.

Allof us have been duped by the boatbuilders who let sales drive their designs. Real improvements on new boats haven’t made them any more seaworthy or the owners any more confident in taking on the ocean. New developments have centered around how many logos could be fit into the cockpit of the latest version of the XYZ Craft plus 6, or whatever…you fill in the blank. The fastest boats that are termed offshore now run on a lake in the middle of the country and run for a measured mile. It is a great party and great event that does good things, but…Offshore???

The World Championships of offshore run on a course that can be seen by standing on the dock…..what happened to the run to Dry Tortugas???

It is time for the people that are interested in getting the sport of offshore back to it’s roots to step up. The Around Long Island Race will be run next year. We encourage anyone with a boat capable of running in this event to come. Find out what the mystery is all about, find out what you really have inside you when the going gets not just tough, but to anyone else, impossible.

We have waited and hesitated and tried to be cordial to everyone, changing our date to help others and then they changed to hurt us. Enough. We are starting a real open ocean offshore circuit. We encourage the industry people to come forward and get involved. Enough of the exotic uber engines that shut down to “save” the engine. Build something that doesn’t need to shut down but will still be seaworthy and last the whole race. Boat builders…build them simple and strong and leave off the Gold Frankincense and Myrrh and drop the retail price, but build them seaworthy because these new customers won’t just be showing them off at the local waterside bars, they will be using them in the real ocean out where the bad things live.

Rich, Bobby, myself and others have nothing more to gain from this sport. Our reputations have been cast.

Racers, we do respect you and we offer an invitation to come and try this real shot o history. If you choose not to, we fully understand and respect your decision, you are still racing in the area you have chosen. Good luck and good racing to you all.
Old 25-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
numbskull

Good post.