Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 13-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #241
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Best to check the tech side with the ORC Tech Man. I’m not in the food chain just a bottom feeder with my own interpretations.
It’s just to date basic races have followed existing class structures but also have added classes for boats that fall outside of the norm, hence I reckon that’s a slot you would fit, same sort of thing you had with the 28 Phantom.
But we are refering to normal basic not the new Marathon or endurance events
They have always required full 508 compliant both boat and crew if there is a canopy / restraints there are differences between the US and Europe. In addition there have been rumours of upgrading other add- ons, they do not appear as a safety bulletin so guess that’s still in the melting pot.

IMHO Yep red tips with the SOB marked on each

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #242

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Back late, last summer I had a meeting in London with Charles Finch.

His dad Peter won an Oscar for Best Actor (the only posthumous award ever presented).

Charles looks after lots of Hollywood stars, smokes big cigars and is a joy to be with.

He and Kevin Spacey asked me to pen an article for their paper about Tim Powell.

Ray Bulman helped me out in a big way, Graham Stevens (flyingfish) on here sent me the picture of Limit Up.

http://www.finchsquarterly.com/featu...king-the-boat/

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #243
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I would have thought that if "John Moore is webmaster for the major UK offshore powerboat racing sites", he'd supply accurate information, or at least 'proof read' such a web publication.

However, Tim has certainly 'done a bit'.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #244

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
Back late, last summer I had a meeting in London with Charles Finch. His dad Peter won an Oscar for Best Actor (the only posthumous award ever presented). Charles looks after lots of Hollywood stars, smokes big cigars and is a joy to be with. He and Kevin Spacey asked me to pen an article for their paper about Tim Powell. Ray Bulman helped me out in a big way, Graham Stevens (flyingfish) on here sent me the picture of Limit Up.

http://www.finchsquarterly.com/featu...king-the-boat/
Tim Powell is simply an amazing man and our sport owes an awful lot to him. I once read an article which called him the "Ultimate racers racer". To me that is the ultimate accolade.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #245
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
Back late, last summer I had a meeting in London with Charles Finch.

His dad Peter won an Oscar for Best Actor (the only posthumous award ever presented).

Charles looks after lots of Hollywood stars, smokes big cigars and is a joy to be with.

He and Kevin Spacey asked me to pen an article for their paper about Tim Powell.

Ray Bulman helped me out in a big way, Graham Stevens (flyingfish) on here sent me the picture of Limit Up.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #246

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Tim Powell has certainly been a great inspiration for the powerboating sport of the UK

Quote ...
The Italians Renato Della Valle and Fabio Buzzi, in their much larger craft, had come to win: Della Valle’s boat was the trial horse for the inaugural marinised Lamborghini engine, whilst Buzzi was using the already proven Seatek diesels.

Not for me to mention but Buzzi ran as well documented with Iveco engines in the RB 84
Old 17-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #247
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Not for me to mention but Buzzi ran as well documented with Iveco engines in the RB 84

MMMnnn, I wonder if that's why he named it "White Iveco"?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 17-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #248

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
MMMnnn, I wonder if that's why he named it "White Iveco"?...
NAA it's a known fact he called it that cause he couldn't spell SEETAX
Old 17-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #249

Tim Powell

Dad said that T.P was Mr power boat racer of all time he has racer since 94
and race at Cowes from 94 to 2001 was the best racing he has done and
the social events that T.P. put on we the best form Northwood House to the
bbq at Osbourne House on the private beach was top banana. Dad said you
wood never be late for his Drivers Briefing on Friday evening at RYS.
V24 Rocks
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #250

Quote:
I would have thought that if "John Moore is webmaster for the major UK offshore powerboat racing sites", he'd supply accurate information, or at least 'proof read' such a web publication.

However, Tim has certainly 'done a bit'.
Sadly, I don't have the chance to edit, delete and change posts as some people.
Old 20-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Dad said that T.P was Mr power boat racer of all time he has racer since 94
and race at Cowes from 94 to 2001 was the best racing he has done and
the social events that T.P. put on we the best form Northwood House to the
bbq at Osbourne House on the private beach was top banana. Dad said you
wood never be late for his Drivers Briefing on Friday evening at RYS.
V24 Rocks
TP raced from the late 1960's until his last "guest appearance" in a Buzzi in 2001.

He took over running the Cowes events when the sponsors had declined, and he felt someone should do something about it - he stepped in.

Your dad has got good memories from those days, T.P. ran everything "by the clock".

Mike Lloyd pulled T.P. back in to compliment his efforts on the 2008 RB race, although not always a smooth ride, I suspect it was another ML master stroke that made the event so successful.
Old 20-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #252

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
TP raced from the late 1960's until his last "guest appearance" in a Buzzi in 2001.

He took over running the Cowes events when the sponsors had declined, and he felt someone should do something about it - he stepped in.

Your dad has got good memories from those days, T.P. ran everything "by the clock".

Mike Lloyd pulled T.P. back in to compliment his efforts on the 2008 RB race, although not always a smooth ride, I suspect it was another ML master stroke that made the event so successful.
It wasn’t so much a “master stroke” as a necessity. Tim would, as you know, bombard me with a 50 point “snag list” virtually every week driving me mad as I had other things to do but of course he was right and every point was valid. If only I had had a secretary it wouldn’t have been so bad.

Frankly, regardless of the fact that our relationship was more teacher and pupil, which was somewhat annoying as he is only two years older than me, he is the master at organising races such as Cowes and RB08. There is no other like him and in my humble opinion he has no equal. How he ran those great races at Cowes for twenty odd years I can’t imagine as it’s an unpaid highly stressful thankless job. He was of course a relatively young man at the time.

I am always willing to be corrected so if there is someone with even some of Tim Powell’s capabilities out there I would like to hear because they can step forward right now and take over. It would be a relief to find someone like that and frankly the sport needs it. Any offers anyone?
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #253

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

New Endurance Rules

Hi All

I have been monitoring, with interest, this thread. There seems to be an awful lot statements being made about the Endurance Rules and the RYA "signing them off" etc.

I would like to point out a few facts. As the Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee, I to date have not seen any Rules regarding this Class. Neither has the Chairman of Safety & Technical. Therefore there is no way that these Rules can be signed off, as it has been said on this thread, on the 22nd December 2008 - as the next ORC meeting is not until 29th January 2009.

For anyone to come out with any profound statements such as "these Rules are in the bag" and it is just a case of ORC "rubber stamping" them is naive, especially as ORC have not even seen a draft copy of these Rules.

The structure is simple - the organising Club put together their Rules for their race series. These Rules are submitted to the relevant RYA Committees - in this case Safety & Technical, who go over them and when they are happy they are passed to ORC for final approval. No one person has the right to approve any Rules and that includes the RYA Powerboat Racing Manager as this would be totally against the constitution and make-up of the RYA and it is exactly for this reason that there is a Committee structure in place. Anybody who has been involved with the RYA for any length of time will know this to be true.

Also for this Class to be recognised as an international Class it would need the approval of the UIM.

Please do not take this post to be negative but for anything to happen correctly, all the T's must be crossed and the I's dotted. It is for the protection of the organisers, the competitors and the RYA itself that this structure is in place and the insurance that goes along with organising any Event.

I am sure that the Rules are fine. However, as I have explained above, they must be submitted and be scrutinised through the correct channels.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Chairman
Offshore Racing Committee
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #254
numbskull

I really can't see what the purpose of that post is.

If you can't post anything of any value, I'll be forced to ban you from the forum.

Old 21-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #255

Interests: Boats and girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Hi All

I would like to point out a few facts. As the Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee, I to date have not seen any Rules regarding this Class. Neither has the Chairman of Safety & Technical. Therefore there is no way that these Rules can be signed off, as it has been said on this thread, on the 22nd December 2008 - as the next ORC meeting is not until 29th January 2009.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Chairman
"As the Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee" Gor Blimey, he's been at the sauce again
boyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #256

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Hi All

I have been monitoring, with interest, this thread. There seems to be an awful lot statements being made about the Endurance Rules and the RYA "signing them off" etc.

For anyone to come out with any profound statements such as "these Rules are in the bag" and it is just a case of ORC "rubber stamping" them is naive, especially as ORC have not even seen a draft copy of these Rules.

The structure is simple - the organising Club put together their Rules for their race series. These Rules are submitted to the relevant RYA Committees - in this case Safety & Technical, who go over them and when they are happy they are passed to ORC for final approval. No one person has the right to approve any Rules and that includes the RYA Powerboat Racing Manager as this would be totally against the constitution and make-up of the RYA and it is exactly for this reason that there is a Committee structure in place. Anybody who has been involved with the RYA for any length of time will know this to be true.

Also for this Class to be recognised as an international Class it would need the approval of the UIM.

Please do not take this post to be negative but for anything to happen correctly, all the T's must be crossed and the I's dotted. It is for the protection of the organisers, the competitors and the RYA itself that this structure is in place and the insurance that goes along with organising any Event.

I am sure that the Rules are fine. However, as I have explained above, they must be submitted and be scrutinised through the correct channels.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Chairman
Perhaps someone could explain to me if the above is fact or fiction?
Old 21-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #257

Quote:

If you can't post anything of any value, I'll be forced to ban you from the forum.
That's me banned again then
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #258

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Wind your neck in Jon.

Jon take head out of Buzzi's arse.

Seeing as his Lloyds is so far up Buzzi's there can't be room for you both.

These proposed rules only suit Mr Buzzi and his boats not forgetting that Buzzi is also desperate to sell the fiat diesels which are installed in all his boats NOW........................I wonder if Swipes is being re-engined.!!

I am no fan of GM but I agree 100%

Concidering Jon you for the last 14/15 years have never had a good word to say about the RYA and rule makers how come you and ML believe you are above everyone and thing you are now the reincarnation of Lewis and Dredge who destroyed this wonderful sport.

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #259
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Concidering Jon you for the last 14/15 years have never had a good word to say about the RYA and rule makers how come you and ML believe you are above everyone and thing you are now the reincarnation of Lewis and Dredge who destroyed this wonderful sport.
OK Tim, how can we stop Jon and Mike are making a total lashup of things?

You've clearly got strong opinions on where they're going wrong - what would be the ideal class structure?
Old 22-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post

Jon take head out of Buzzi's arse.
Do you know what? That mental image has put me right off my bacon sandwich this morning..and that takes some doing, I can tell you…..

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote