Boatmad.com

Old 23-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #1

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Hotboats Is Go Go Go For 2007

Hi All

It's been a bit quiet on the Hotboats Front on here as we have been busy working behind the scenes. We are now proud to anounce that the Hotboats Racing Association is now fully affiliated to the RYA and the Hotboats rules have now been passed by the RYA.The Hotboats series is now a National Class. I can also tell you all that the cost for a Hotboats RYA national licence is £ 350.00. We have now put together a full pack that contains everything you need to enter the Hotboats series for 2007 any one wishing to have a pack please email or pm your name and full postal address. Anyone who has already done this, your packs will be posted just after Christmas.

The Hotboats Racing Association would like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and New Year.

Kind regards

Gary Manchester
Chairman Hotboats Racing Association
www.hotboatsracing.com

flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #2

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Gary can you clarify the maximum hp on the 600 class? Ive had a pm saying its been reduced to 450hp.

Old 27-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Gary can you clarify the maximum hp on the 600 class? Ive had a pm saying its been reduced to 450hp.
Aparently on outboard motors it has been reduced to 450Hp for the 1500kg class. If you are going to run more Hp outboard then you have to multiply the Hp x 3.5 to get the weight.

So if you were running 2x 280's you would need to weigh 1960 kg.....

If you are going to run twin outboards you should be running 2x225's, but I think that the Hp measurement is Shaft Hp, so you could possibly get away with twin 250's

Assagai with tripple 300's would need to weigh 3150kg, as raced in class 2 it was 3400, so that seems ok.

It appears to restrict outboards in the 600 class only. Much like classIII six liter - you can run an 8.5 liter if it is inboard and 6 liter if outboard...
FabFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #4

****in typical, no wonder racings ****ed, if I enter with my engines i'd have to add over 700kg of ballast.

Gary dont bother sending me the info pack, I wont be joining and I bet there's a few more who wont as well.
Old 27-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #5

Hotboat 600

Dear All

The answer to the question regarding the Horsepower change for outboards in the 600 class of Hotboats is that you can only run up to a maximum of 450 Horsepower this can be twin or single engine. ie you can run the biggest production outboard avalible as a single rig or you can run Twin 225.

The reason for this is after much head banging with the RYA safety and Technical committee, they felt that 650 Horsepower Outboards were too dangerous to let run in uncanopied crafts. Therefore as the Hotboats 600 class is open to both open cockpit and canopied craft a compromise had to be found. The above Horsepower is the compromise, baring in mind that the minimum boat lengh is only 24 feet and 6 inches and the minimum weight is 1500 Kilos.

Having said the above this does not rule out running larger outboards in the 1000 class which now has a minimum lengh of 26ft 5 inchs with a manufacters tolerance of 0.45 metres there fore you can technically remain inside the rules and run a 25 foot boat. If you were running in 6 litre mode ie twin 2.5 efi's producing 280 Hp each your total Hp output would be 560 Hp there fore the minimum boat weight would need to be 1960 kilo's the minimum weight for 6 litre in the UIM rule book is 1675 Kilo's with an extra 110 Kilo's added for every metre over the minimum. So to clarify to run legally for example a 28 ft bat boat, the minimum weight for this boat would be 1790 Kilo's so yes you will need to add a little bit of weight but not much and that is if the boat was built to be smack on the minimum weight.

Guys we are doing the best we can and this will be the most powerful class to be introduced in many a year in the UK as a national championship. To take this forward we have had to consider 3 things, Firstly we want fast powerful racing but not at the total disregard for your safety. Secondly we want to build a class where the engines are easily obtainable and manufactered by more than One manufactuer, all the manufactuers produce engines that are suitable.Lastly the aim of the Hotboats Racing Association is to build a sustainable class of racing without involving the need to spend Hundreds of Thousands of Pounds to do it.

All the boats that we have been told are interested in this new class still have a class to run in. Nothing has changed it just means that to accomadate some of the boats they move up a class. I hope this clarifys the situation but rather than speculate it is quicker to communicate with us where we can sort the confusion out. We have email, a website which is www.hotboatsracing.com, a telephone number avalible on the website, a pm service on boatmad and a fax if all else fails. We are here to try to build up a national series that will be some of the most exciting racing in the UK.
Old 27-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Dear All
The reason for this is after much head banging with the RYA safety and Technical committee, they felt that 650 Horsepower Outboards were too dangerous to let run in uncanopied crafts. Therefore as the Hotboats 600 class is open to both open cockpit and canopied craft a compromise had to be found. The above Horsepower is the compromise, baring in mind that the minimum boat lengh is only 24 feet and 6 inches and the minimum weight is 1500 Kilos.
Having said the above this does not rule out running larger outboards in the 1000 class which now has a minimum lengh of 26ft 5 inchs with a manufacters tolerance of 0.45 metres there fore you can technically remain inside the rules and run a 25 foot boat.
So how does moving a 6ltr uncanopied boat into the next class make it safer and less likley to have an incident than in the lower class with the same rated power. did anybody by any chance get the safety and Technical committee a shotgun and a left foot for christmas. Sorry but I cant follow the logic that they are using.........

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
So how does moving a 6ltr uncanopied boat into the next class make it safer and less likley to have an incident than in the lower class with the same rated power. did anybody by any chance get the safety and Technical committee a shotgun and a left foot for christmas. Sorry but I cant follow the logic that they are using.........
It's got to be 6" longer!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
Because you'll be racing against the faster boats and not showing the slower boats up ...... Looks to me like the rules have been made to suit the slower class.

Good luck your going to need it, I already know of 4 boats that will not be racing.
Old 28-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

Thats what Mrs Fin said

Team25Racing.com

Old 28-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have heard that before, not sure where....

The outboards moving up to the 1000 class will be forced to carry more weight. This would slow them down - in the interests of safety I believe.
Old 28-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #11

Hotboats

Guys

It is becoming very obvious that you are not happy with the reduction in size of horsepower for the 600 class. With this in mind i need your assistance can anyone who was intending to race in the Hotboats 600 Class, but now as it stands can't please send me an email stating the size of your boat and engines that you intended to run. This will assist me in going back to the RYA and going head to head again, this i am more than happy to do as we have come so far against very strong odds we wont give up now.

Some of you have spoken to me already and the information you have given me will help me present our arguments from what i hope will be with your assistance all the information to hand to put a strong powerful argument forward that will win the day.

If we all work together it will work
Old 28-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend.
Old 28-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Traveling

Gary what a +ve & constructive reply. The attraction of hotboat was it's simplicty.
As for canopied boats I've seen more boats turn over & bash into each other in 225 Honda than any other class.... where are their canopies ???? Oh .. or shouldn't that question be asked.

Team25Racing.com

Old 28-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #14

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

Quote:
Guys

It is becoming very obvious that you are not happy with the reduction in size of horsepower for the 600 class. With this in mind i need your assistance can anyone who was intending to race in the Hotboats 600 Class, but now as it stands can't please send me an email stating the size of your boat and engines that you intended to run. This will assist me in going back to the RYA and going head to head again, this i am more than happy to do as we have come so far against very strong odds we wont give up now.

Some of you have spoken to me already and the information you have given me will help me present our arguments from what i hope will be with your assistance all the information to hand to put a strong powerful argument forward that will win the day.

If we all work together it will work

Can't say fairer than that.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #15
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Going by the restrictions put on P1 by the UIM, which I assume the RYA would be bound to follow at least a certain amount - it is speed they are worried about with open boats - ie if a boat will do over 95 it must have a canopy. If the RYA are openly allowing more speed then I'm sure the UIM will have something to say about it and the RYA will have liability issues if anyone is hurt?

I am not sure where the half canopies come in to all this like Mike and Jackies Dragon - bucket seats, full harnesses and air but not a canopy??????

I think twin 280 EFI would be a popular setup in 600 hotboat if it was allowed - or twin 250XS? Of course this would make it a Mercury dominated class because of the relative strength of the saddles and the existing race gearboxes.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #16
Traveling

UIM is set to loose out to the WPAA or whatever it's called. others will follow.

So for those that still want to see fossils get ya self down to Charmouth as they will be becoming more rare at racing venues

Team25Racing.com

Old 28-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #17

WPPA?

Do you think it will take off? That would be very interesting ..... I hear rumours of other classes they are trying for....
Old 29-12-2006, 07:52 AM   #18
Traveling

Not for me to break a UIM/RYA heart
But it looks like a WPPA Class 1 Championship will take place and at the same time a seperate UIM run Class 1.
Who knows whats next
Anyway this is getting slightly of topic of Gary's Hotboat thread

Team25Racing.com

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #19

It would appear that there's been a change of maximum engine size, the new limit is 520hp for old technology and 600hp for epa engines.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #20
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

What no triple rigs??