Old 23-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by willh View Post
First of all I am not sure if any of you realize that he RYA are not a world wide recognized body. Just a uk organizing body. For example living in Spain the RYA license is just acceptable as an ability to drive a boat. Even if you are a comercial yacht master you can only skipper uk comercial craft. If you want to skipper a comercial Spanish boat you have to undertake the MCA 200 which is a government recognized certificate worldwide.

There is no reason what so ever that a club such as RMYC or any other club can run races under there jurisdiction if they affiliate to international rules such as UIM.

Providing the races are run under international rules and fully comply to this with the necessary qualified organizers and scrutineers etc there is nothing the RYA can do. If enough people get behind this then it is possible.

Please understand that the RYA are a organizing body not a governing body. not the law and not the controllers. With the right people and the right control a new body can be created with just power boating in mind. This can and would be recognized by international authorities. The RYA is not recognized in many EU countries as a creditable authority.

And always remember its the R YACHTING A not powerboat.
I have no idea where you are getting your information from but I would disagree with a lot of that as most of the facts are not relevant to the discussion! Since when has driving a commercial Spanish boat got anything to do with powerboat racing in the UK?

Clubs do run to International rules for International competitions but Hydrosteam is correct, the UIM only operate via the national bodies which is still the RYA!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
CB1

Ciao, I wouldn't worry about the authors grasp of English, rather his grasp of reality!!!

CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
wss

If you guys are going to make this sport work and get it back to were it was you need to work as a team and stop takeing pops.
wss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
green army

Interests: cars/boats/pub
Boat name: 1-52
Boat make: formula,no more tint sh?t
Engines: mercruiser v8
Cruising area: solent/iow

Send a message via MSN to neal_skyline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wss View Post
If you guys are going to make this sport work and get it back to were it was you need to work as a team and stop takeing pops.
so do u race,or a boatmad talk racer
Old 23-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
wss

Yes i have done a lot of racing and i am A UIM Commissioner and was the RYA Commissioner for the 2008 Round Britain Powerboat race and i was the ORC Chairman for thr RYA.
Old 23-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
green army

Interests: cars/boats/pub
Boat name: 1-52
Boat make: formula,no more tint sh?t
Engines: mercruiser v8
Cruising area: solent/iow

Send a message via MSN to neal_skyline
so how have u been helping the sport over here in the last fu years
Old 23-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_skyline View Post
so how have u been helping the sport over here in the last fu years
By staying away
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Yes i have done a lot of racing and i am A UIM Commissioner and was the RYA Commissioner for the 2008 Round Britain Powerboat race and i was the ORC Chairman for thr RYA.
Gary, in my humble opinion you did a great job RB 2008.

However, fairly difficult to trust your word when your CV includes 747 pilot and "a lot of racing".
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
CB1

No Ciao, the best is 'Black Ops SF Helo Pilot' Only called upon in times of National Emergancies....
Old 23-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #30

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Im glad someones owned up! racing... yes including the legendary boat WARRIOR.
Old 23-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
wss

OK guys all i can say is F..k you i gone
Old 23-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
OK guys all i can say is F..k you i gone
So no chance of dropping me a pint of milk and a packet of fags from your Helicopter?

(I am snowed in here).

#blackopps
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #33
CB1

That's torn it.... likely to be assassinated now by ninjas.... He has a wide circle of friends!!!
Old 24-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #34

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

mind the wet paint on the way out, we dont want arse prints on the doors!! One down, whos next?
Old 24-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #35

Quote:
.......and i was the ORC Chairman for thr RYA.
......the root of some of the problems that exist today !
PKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

I was also on the ORC at that time and another period later, and with some very good people, and I'm afraid the truth is, it sometimes becomes irrelevant what decisions the ORC make and the input from the delegates, at the end of the meeting the IRA (sorry RYA) does what it decides is best for itself. It will always be that way and there isnt a great deal to be done about it.
Therefore if the sport continues to be governed (and that is exactly how it is) by the RYA, then the ORC and the other committees have to find a way to convince them that their ideas ARE the best way forward for the sport AND the RYA and follow them through with continual dialogue with the RYA office to make sure they are followed through undiluted..

Breaking away does sound attractive initially but in the last few years the sport has had to deal with the loss of a number of racers, and legal proceedings, also environmental and MAIB issues that would be at the very least, difficult without the resources the RYA has....

Having said all that...the Ski Racers did it, so look at their model and see if it would work..

In my view the 3 things that have made life almost impossible for race organisers (and RYA to be fair) are the environmental people, health and safety gone mad, and the cost of everything. There are very few left who do it all for nothing these days....

Just my thoughts.....and ready to be slated, but there are many other BM members who were on the ORC at the same time who may bear me out (or not)
Old 24-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #37

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Other Countries

Well said Dave,it is like banging your head against a brick wall,so how do the other countries do it like France,Italy ,New Zealand etc, etc.
snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #38
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

To paraphrase the wise words of the people of Rock Ridge

Now is a time of great decision. Are we to stay or up and quit? There's no avoiding this conclusion, our sport is turning into sh*t.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
CB1

Well said Dave... Most sence I've heard from a co driver for ages.... Hope you're well.. The RYA does have its faults but it does try. The current imcumbant of the office could do better and is not everyones cup of tea, but he is interested in the sport.. And yes they are fighting an uphill battle with all the do-gooder tree huggers that seem to come out of the wood once racing is mentioned. And of course money in all areas is very tight, but thats life in general.. Who knows if it will ever get back to the halycon days of yore.. Hope it does, miss the crack with the guys as much as anything...
Old 24-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have no idea where you are getting your information from but I would disagree with a lot of that as most of the facts are not relevant to the discussion! Since when has driving a commercial Spanish boat got anything to do with powerboat racing in the UK?

Clubs do run to International rules for International competitions but Hydrosteam is correct, the UIM only operate via the national bodies which is still the RYA!
In response to Cookees reply. Yes maybe I am slightly off the mark making notes about Spain but my main point is that the RYA are virtually not recognized by any European country as they are not an official government organization. They only recognize MCA.

A further few points about the RYA.
1. Over 60% if there revenue comes from motor, powerboat and jet ski members as these are now being regulated by local authorities unlike sail.

2. There budget for the motor side as far as resource is only 30% compaired to sail.

3 the Uk is the only country in Europe that does not require licenses to skipper a boat. ( how mad is that that you could buy a 24mtr Sunseeker and drive it away with no experience) also the RYA are happy to issue a ICC for this type of craft of which you could pass on a 10mtr RIB then happily take it abroad. Now you wonder why there EU counterparts think the same about the RYA as most people on this site.

I think to a degree just these few points show how mad the RYA is and the system.

Also there are some other relavent points to consider.

Firstly almost all other countries run there powerboat racing by an official powerboat organization only (not sail, rowing boats) so they are dedicated to there sport. Big example APBA!!

Take motor sport. These are run ny racing Car clubs. Take British racing drivers accociation. The organizing body reporting to the FIA. Not the RAC or the AA!!

When I was racing back in 80s early 90s there where fleets of upto 70 boats from 3b to class 1 doing around 14 races a year. Now your lucky if you get 10 boats to do 6 races a year. Yes I understand we are in tough times but then why is that other countries are managing to still put races on.

I think to sum up when you have the likes of Mike Lloyd and his team fail to organize a tremendous event as the Cowes-Monti Carlo race due to without doubt the RYA then what future is there for powerboat racing in the UK.

The only way forward is for the drivers to run and organize there own club and get the UIM to recognize this. It is possible. If the desire is there then it can happen. But everybody has to stop knocking each other and work to do this.

willh is offline   Reply With Quote