Boatmad.com

Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Key West

http://new.livestream.com/sbi/keywest2013 .Wish I was there. Looks like Mr Ridd is in for a long day.

Mike Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bontoft View Post
http://new.livestream.com/sbi/keywest2013 .Wish I was there. Looks like Mr Ridd is in for a long day.
What's up?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

Jeff, My navigator this year is there and said ,
"They limited V by propping him down.
Bang it off the rev limiter for too long and BAMO!"
Mike Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
BananaShark Member

Saw the photos on FB of the new ventilated block - two new motors going in overnight - It's 3.30am right now and I think they're probably still working!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Interests: Fast cars, bikes,quads, boats, going fast...etc
Boat name: Cheetah
Boat make: Hunton XRS37
Engines: Volvo D6 with DPR drives
Cruising area: So'hampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bontoft View Post
Jeff, My navigator this year is there and said ,
"They limited V by propping him down.
Bang it off the rev limiter for too long and BAMO!"
Hi Mike,
We are in Key west also, spent wednesday afternoon with the boys from microlink and warpath and my information is that the alternator siezed destroying the serpentine drive belt so they obviously lost the drive to the raw water pump which overheated the motor causing catastrophic failure. One of the con rods was bent into a c shape, bearing cap ripped of and wrist pin still in the rod.

Peter
peterunwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
BananaShark Member

Have they got the new motors in yet?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

They said earlier that the hull was punctured. Anybody over there know if that was the case?
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

They raced earlier - came 3rd in class to go with their previous 2nd
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
They said earlier that the hull was punctured. Anybody over there know if that was the case?
Commentator cock up - it was the block that had holes in it!

Old 13-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Probably most of us dislike the idea of Marathon type boats racing "around the cans" as P1 used to however, P1 in it's hey day was popular with the racers and Key West obviously appealed to many racers. We should be so lucky to have such a fleet here in the U.K!

Lets face it, they (the racers) are the ones who put their money where their mouths are and they are the ones who buy boats and suffer all the costs as many of us may remember so any criticism by Non Racers of Key West or of "racing around the cans" doesn't count for much really, as Gareth Williams said, they "had a blast" and isn't that what's it all about?

If filmed properly this type of racing and fast action would also appeal to Joe Public here in the U.K as proved in Key West. The problem remains of course is how it would be financed.

The sport has got lost a little here in the U.K, perhaps reverting to the old 70 mile tight courses of the 1970's, 80's and 90's such as off Brighton and Ramsgate etc might bring in new racers and boats of the P1 type, there are plenty just sitting around, and help rejuvenate the sport if it is managed correctly. Now there's a challenge RYA! Can you rise to that, do you even want to? JMHO of course.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

We did have a blast in Key West and I must say I still get the same kick and adrenalin whether about to start a 13 minute race or a 4 hour race... but a little disappointing that the 1st two heats were over so quickly and it certainly was a shame it wasn't rougher and we didn't run the full course. As like the RYA SBI are shit scared of litigation.
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Probably most of us dislike the idea of Marathon type boats racing "around the cans" as P1 used to however, P1 in it's hey day was popular with the racers and Key West obviously appealed to many racers. We should be so lucky to have such a fleet here in the U.K!

Lets face it, they (the racers) are the ones who put their money where their mouths are and they are the ones who buy boats and suffer all the costs as many of us may remember so any criticism by Non Racers of Key West or of "racing around the cans" doesn't count for much really, as Gareth Williams said, they "had a blast" and isn't that what's it all about?

If filmed properly this type of racing and fast action would also appeal to Joe Public here in the U.K as proved in Key West. The problem remains of course is how it would be financed.

The sport has got lost a little here in the U.K, perhaps reverting to the old 70 mile tight courses of the 1970's, 80's and 90's such as off Brighton and Ramsgate etc might bring in new racers and boats of the P1 type, there are plenty just sitting around, and help rejuvenate the sport if it is managed correctly. Now there's a challenge RYA! Can you rise to that, do you even want to? JMHO of course.
With respect Mike I don't think race distance have as much to do with it as the other factors. I believe Key West (and I have been) succeeds because of the location, the time of year (most other places are cold and it's as much the finals as the Worlds) and the atmosphere.

I think it's the reason that Cowes has survived so long, we also have tradition going back a long way as well - face it Cowes is expensive to get to, there are cheaper marinas to race out of and you can't even start from where you want to any more but it has survived long and short races. The P1 (big and small) and Honda series all did well because of the money and TV, having smaller races made it easier to film and watch, if the races had been over a bigger area the only difference would have been it would have cost more to film - they would still have had the entrants because of the other factors.

I see UK racing continuing to have problems if there is no investment and TV, if Aidan and the gang can attract big sponsors to the Monte race I believe it will have a chance of rubbing off on the rest of UK powerboat racing and give Marathon the boost it needs after the success of RB08.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Old 14-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

I see UK racing continuing to have problems if there is no investment and TV
P1 SuperStock televise their races on SKY Sports with a highlights package.

Although you will never be given viewing figures, you can guess they are very low just by looking at the number of hits their programmes receive on YouTube (Round 1 - Hull Grand Prix of the Sea 554 views).

I had television programmes made of Cowes 2010 and 2011 which were shown in the UK on SKY Sports and Motors TV which attracted little interest - The DVD of the programmes didn't exactly sell in stellar numbers.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
P1 SuperStock televise their races on SKY Sports with a highlights package.

Although you will never be given viewing figures, you can guess they are very low just by looking at the number of hits their programmes receive on YouTube (Round 1 - Hull Grand Prix of the Sea 554 views).

I had television programmes made of Cowes 2010 and 2011 which were shown in the UK on SKY Sports and Motors TV which attracted little interest - The DVD of the programmes didn't exactly sell in stellar numbers.
I wasn't thinking about the viewing figures so much but the entrants the televised series attracts. Without TV P1 would seriously struggle I believe, after all it's a lot of money for a boat that is slow to accelerate, the engines fall off the back on a regular basis and they aren't exactly cheap but they have series popping up all over the place!

Old 15-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #15

It's quite timely that TV coverage/viewing is being discussed at the moment. We've just issued an update to teams which covers this very area. Some of the thoughts put forward were as follows:

Those that have been with us on this journey for quite some time may recall when the words - 'relevant and remarkable' - were first used. To truly engage, and to achieve success, in terms of numbers consuming, brands participating (and all of the other metrics used to gauge how well any event has been) the event must be both relevant and remarkable. Being just one of these things is not enough.

So, is powerboat racing remarkable? At times it can be, and we believe that the 'ingredients' of the Venture Cup provide us with some of the best opportunities any powerboating event has had for years to achieve real success.

So, we have confidence that we can tick the 'remarkable' box, but what about the 'relevant' one. This is where many of the problems around current powerboat racing exist - the sad reality is that our sport isn't relevant. There's plenty of good powerboating content on television and online, but it attracts very little attention. We bemoan the fact that the sponsors and audiences are reluctant to come over and engage with us, but that's the very reason why our sport has been getting it wrong.

Focusing energy on bringing people INTO the sport - as an audience, partner, or participant - simply doesn't work anymore. Look around, and see the evidence for yourself. The process needs to be flipped on its head and the energies need to be placed on bringing the sport into the audiences. It's not about what 'we have', it's about what 'they want'. We need to get ourselves in front of consumers in ways that they're comfortable with, and engaged by.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
BananaShark Member

............. and to entertain them!

Old 16-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #17

Interests: Fast cars, bikes,quads, boats, going fast...etc
Boat name: Cheetah
Boat make: Hunton XRS37
Engines: Volvo D6 with DPR drives
Cruising area: So'hampton

Found this really nice picture of microlink on offshore only courtesy of Boden

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ5T1974_zps789f4de8.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	40546  
peterunwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #18

Cruising area: South Coast

Great picture peter!!!

Haven't seen much of key we st as have been away for a few weeks but going to try and catch up tomorrow! Saw a few posts on Facebook and gutted for Vee and team! Great to see them spending the money to get out there and race! Real credit!!

I have read that post from blimp several times and I am non the wiser as to how the vc team will put themselves out with what "they want"? Hopefully this will become clearer soon?
billy no boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #19

Let me try to explain it a little better.

Outside a few small groups of racers and enthusiasts, the world isn't really interested in powerboat racing. It's in that world that the big audiences and sponsors exist .....not in our powerboat world ... yet we continue to try to engage with that world on our terms - by talking about historical merit or pushing footage of boats smashing through wave after wave. They're not interested, so we're wasting our time. The solution - at least the one we believe in - is to focus on what they might be interested in, and then framing what we do in that context. So .... you don't care about powerboat racing, but you do care about adventure ...or challenge ....or human endeavor .... so that's what we'll give you.

John gave an example above of P1 footage only getting 554 views on YouTube. A 5 minute clip on YouTube called 'Deadliest Catch - Monster Waves' has 2,254,284 views. Both clips involve boats, so why's there such a disparity in numbers? Well, one is entertaining from a powerboat racing perspective and the other is entertaining from a human endeavor perspective. A lot more people understand risk, challenge and bravery than those that 'get' powerboat racing, and the numbers reflect that reality. Trying to understand what audiences want and delivering it to them, rather than merely trying to push 'what you do' is the difference. It's where we're putting our energies, and it's why we feel we'll succeed.
Old 17-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #20

Spot on in your last 2 posts Blimp.

Also when ITV took over F1 they went behind the scene and they still do to this day to make the program more than just racing.

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote