Boatmad.com

Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance View Post
Do the ProVee Nicolini boats run good, compared to the Buzzi's?
I saw Nicolini win in his Searacer 30 at Blankenberge. I was a rough sea then and it looked like it performed much better than the Searacer 32 or the Buzzi 32 in the rough but was a bit slower than these in calm seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Dunno about their singles/pro vees, but the twin that Hanes Bohinc ran was apparently a dog, + it fell apart.
Possibly due to the lack of the shock dampening effect of the missing tubes as this boat was born as a RIB

olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
God that boat must be rotten by now. Not even a cockpit cover? Why do people buy boats then let them rot? I've never understood that.
Nige, I'd say you'd be right. I doubt that boat will see water again. I don't know why Bill Barry Cotter brought it out here. Bill builds cats to race. Maybe the hull design was of interest to him!

Unfortunately, the ex-American Eagle, the beautiful candy striped Cigarette 36, also ended its days in the corner of the Riviera yard on the Gold Coast, after racing here for almost 15 years.

pete60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli View Post
Possibly due to the lack of the shock dampening effect of the missing tubes as this boat was born as a RIB
It also had a large bit of deck missing, like a ferkin great walkway recess down the centre.
It certainly suffered some massive cracking/splitting at Cowes a few years back.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #44

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I may be talking out of turn here but what was the one at drivers as you go in, parked on the right?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #45
numbskull

A Buzzi

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #46

Pete when you say ended it's days - did it just rot away? Was it broken up ultimately? (American Eagle).
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #47

Quote:
It also had a large bit of deck missing, like a ferkin great walkway recess down the centre.
When you submarine and wait for a tow you can use it as a pool

Quote:
It certainly suffered some massive cracking/splitting at Cowes a few years back.
What is a 7 feet crack among friends?

Anyway, after some major modification the boat was finally good enough to win the Harmsworth Trophy.
As far as I know this was Nicolini's first big V and they certainly learned a lot from this project (at Mr. Bohinc's expense).
Nicolini's ProVee boats were very competitive.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Pete when you say ended it's days - did it just rot away? Was it broken up ultimately? (American Eagle).
Nige, it sat around for a while and was used to create the mould for a couple of the early Riviera monohull race boats here. I think it was ultimately broken up. A tragedy!! It was last raced as Stefan Shampoo and was a vivid shde of pink!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #49

Cruising area: southwest

"When you submarine and wait for a tow you can use it as a pool:"

"after some major modification the boat was finally good enough to" ....

The pool would have leaked before the repair.
Some little factets about that boat ....
It was commissioned as a RIB and after the hull was made Niccolini found it impossible to put on the tubes ....
It ended up as a hard boat. And was a hard ride with more than one set of cracked ribs to prove it.
One of the first I saw with the 'sawtooth' trailing edges to the underwater steps that were also used on the very fast (115 mph+) ProVees.
Niccolini was meant to have been driving the boat and on an early pre-race test (in Capri from memory) he took his girlfriend out for a jolly and hit some rocks, wiping out the drives (sawteeth obviously did not work!) exit Niccolini.
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #50

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I recall a fantastic race between this Niccoline boat in one of the Bournemouth bay races that from a spectator point of view was great, numerous laps were made in front of the viewing crowds on the shoreline and pier ... If I recall correctly for most of the race it was within touching distance of the Buzzi rib Venturer until as one of the crewmen explained to me some navigation equipment broke free causing problems and allowed the Niccoline to claim the win

Must admit I never could understand that cut out in the deck I always thought it was just an unusual design feature and it did remind me of a rib although I had wondered what would happen in a heavy stuffing situation as it would add some considerable unwanted ballast just when you didn't want it ... as ever fantastic information on Boatmad with all these amazing stories
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Must admit I never could understand that cut out in the deck I always thought it was just an unusual design feature and it did remind me of a rib although I had wondered what would happen in a heavy stuffing situation as it would add some considerable unwanted ballast just when you didn't want it ... as ever fantastic information on Boatmad with all these amazing stories
Maybe it was a production deck,where suncushions are inserted in the well.I have been involved with a similar arrangement.You aren`t expected to drive the boat hard and keep stuffing all the time.Even a rubber dubber was put in there on one occasion.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesthotcat View Post
...It was commissioned as a RIB and after the hull was made Niccolini found it impossible to put on the tubes ....
It ended up as a hard boat...
...Niccolini was meant to have been driving the boat and on an early pre-race test (in Capri from memory) he took his girlfriend out for a jolly and hit some rocks, wiping out the drives (sawteeth obviously did not work!) exit Niccolini.
It actually entered at least it's first race in Gaeta as a RIB. That race ended after a very short run (no lube in transmission box ). The next race then the story with Matteo's girlfriend (thought the smoked an engine due to a plastic bag on a water intake ). Next race more luck with a win.
Does anyone know if those 'sawteeth' are good, here some on a Qatar boat:

Old 09-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #53

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60 View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Baby Uno currently lives on the Gold Coast in the Maritmo yard. It looks pretty sad and sorry.

I took a quick snap the other day.

I still don't know how it got there or why it has been sitting there for some time!
Is this the Maritmo yard in Coomera, if so I spoke to my friends yesterday about this and they live 5 minutes away from it and work just round the corner from the yard.

My wife and i used to aways like watching baby uno and the yellow boat with the petrol V8 battle it out at cowes. Baby uno was best in that ferrari bloody red colours.
Steve curtis had a white cougar thunder boat with a lambo motor one year, i think in 1998 that ran the cowes classic race, It came off course at the start line and nearly hit us. I leapt from the back of our boat to slammed it into reverse to get out of its tracks while my bro was at the controls looking the other way. It would of made mince meat of use.
Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbysteve View Post
Is this the Maritmo yard in Coomera, if so I spoke to my friends yesterday about this and they live 5 minutes away from it and work just round the corner from the yard.
No, at Hope island.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #55

Ahr yes that Thunderboat! 'Twas a great looking boat. Plus Fullers - sounded great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar Fullers Logistics.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	26713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar lamborghini.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	26714  
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #56

How did the Cougars run compared to the Niccolini's and Buzzi's?
DiamondPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #57
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance View Post
How did the Cougars run compared to the Niccolini's and Buzzi's?

I think a couple got modded bottoms and were subsequently ok, but not great straight out of the mould.

PJC will curse me for saying that I expect.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #58

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Ahr yes that Thunderboat! 'Twas a great looking boat. Plus Fullers - sounded great!
ahh ... those boats remind me of the Pro vee series and as Gordon Mcmath once said to me one of the best TV races series ever run ... and if you look at that race series their was a time they had a flying kilo speed run, the Buzzi boats with the 1050hp Seatek's were way out in front at around 114mph then the diesel Niccolini's around 105-7 mph, followed by the petrol boats namely the Cougars with 950hp making around the mid 90'smph however the speeds probably don't show an ideal speed difference between the hulls as from what I gather the Seatek were pushing out a lot more hp than stated

Now what class would they fit into in the marathon series
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #59
living the dream

Interests: BOAT RACING
Boat name: i call her baby
Boat make: Aero-tek
Engines: a lot of horses
Cruising area: WW

american copy of buzzi with #4 ..lol

NICE AND FAST BOAT THO...for sale..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ErieMonster.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	26716   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-2008 pics 052.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	26717  
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #60
numbskull

I think it's more likely that the petrol motors pushed out less than advertised. you know how small those american ponies are.

There was a lot of work going on to try and get the ProVee boats to fit C-sport (by tweeking the c-sport rules) as Drew and some others wanted to run theirs. wold be interesting so long as they could get the fuel capacity sorted for 250 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
ahh ... those boats remind me of the Pro vee series and as Gordon Mcmath once said to me one of the best TV races series ever run ... and if you look at that race series their was a time they had a flying kilo speed run, the Buzzi boats with the 1050hp Seatek's were way out in front at around 114mph then the diesel Niccolini's around 105-7 mph, followed by the petrol boats namely the Cougars with 950hp making around the mid 90'smph however the speeds probably don't show an ideal speed difference between the hulls as from what I gather the Seatek were pushing out a lot more hp than stated

Now what class would they fit into in the marathon series