Boatmad.com

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Marathon qualifications

The proposed rules for next season include making it necessary to have a suitable CV, day skipper or advanced powerboat for marathon racing, at a recent RYA meeting it was proposed to raise this to coastal skipper - seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The proposed rules for next season include making it necessary to have a suitable CV, day skipper or advanced powerboat for marathon racing, at a recent RYA meeting it was proposed to raise this to coastal skipper - seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut?
So you must be able to get Coastal skipper if you have a marathon licence, for what it's worth.

2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
BananaShark Member

Not sure if I made it clear, but this is obviously for competitors that haven't held a licence for over two years - this means if Derek Basham, ex British OCR champion and has lived by the sea all his life and spent a lot of that time on the water in a variety of boats including god knows how many years actually racing, would have to go and get a coastal skipper ticket to get a marathon licence regardless of his CV!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Not sure if I made it clear, but this is obviously for competitors that haven't held a licence for over two years - this means if Derek Basham, ex British OCR champion and has lived by the sea all his life and spent a lot of that time on the water in a variety of boats including god knows how many years actually racing, would have to go and get a coastal skipper ticket to get a marathon licence regardless of his CV!
So that's me f--- as the last race I had was in 2009 and I have no intention of doing a coastal skipper

I have a day skipper licence and a couple of races under my belt.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
BananaShark Member

This may only apply to the big races like RB08 or Cowes Monte, as you have previous form on RB08 I would have thought that you would be able to slide in under some sort of grandfather agreement - it's all proposed at the moment and I think it's over the top and unnecessary but what do I know!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Change in Licensing Requirements.

This sounds like another attempt by The RYA majority sailing fraternity to try to kill-off powerboat racing, under the excuse of improving safety.
I never thought I would say this, as I've always previously supported the RYA being the national authority for our sport, but the sooner powerboat racing gets free of what is seeming to be a "Green & Mean" dictatorship, the better.
This is my personal view of course, not of any club or organisation.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #7

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
This sounds like another attempt by The RYA majority sailing fraternity to try to kill-off powerboat racing, under the excuse of improving safety.
I never thought I would say this, as I've always previously supported the RYA being the national authority for our sport, but the sooner powerboat racing gets free of what is seeming to be a "Green & Mean" dictatorship, the better.
This is my personal view of course, not of any club or organisation.
A view taken by many Martin but not many dare express that opinion for many reasons, frankly I will as I don't care, far too old to worry about things like that anymore. Too much else on my mind anyway!!

From a VERY hot Portimao.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Too many projects.....

Interests: Making things go fast....
Boat name: Top Gun
Boat make: Sunseeker Hawk 27
Engines: 2x Volvo Penta 5.7 V8s
Cruising area: South Coast

This is quite relevant to me as we're in the process of trying to get ourselves / the boat sorted to join the marathon fleet next year.

2 out of 3 of us on the boat have probably logged over 20,000 sea miles over the past 10 years. (my misus has also around 3,000 miles but only as crew)
We all work in the marine industry so play around (if you can call it that) all day on boats of all sizes. Done a few qualifications over the years but after someone with a yachtmaster nearly killed me as a kid, never really been in a hurry to get the official tickets. So now we could need to factor in a coastal skipper (I'm assuming theory and practical needed)

From what I can work out we now have the following expenses prior to getting out on the water

Mandatory 2 day race training - £450 each (they will do a deal if all 3 of us go at once)
Annual medical - circa £90 each
Annual provisional license - £271 each
Boat measurement cert - £75
RYA coastal skipper - probably around £600 per head for theory/practical.

So getting started is not a cheap exercise. By the time you've factored in all the mandatory kit for the boat - liferaft/EPIRB, personal race kit, general boat equipment the figures are quite scary.

I admit that powerboat racing (marathon in particular with the fuel) is never going to be a cheap sport (I was national rallying until a couple of years ago which seems peanuts compared to boats) but there are so many hoops to jump through before you can actually get involved (and stay involved) it's understandable why so many people seem frustrated.

On a side note contacted the RYA asking for some advice but not heard anything back. (I'm even a long standing "Gold member" for what it's worth)

Having got this far we will stick at it but there is a long road ahead...better crack out the credit card!
pugracer285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
BananaShark Member

The only reason I have brought this to everyone's attention is so that interested parties can try and stop this happening - I believe that an appropriate CV and or a day skipper is fine, and even then why have the race training and an RYA qualification, especially considering day and coastal skipper isn't orientated towards fast boats!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
The only reason I have brought this to everyone's attention is so that interested parties can try and stop this happening - I believe that an appropriate CV and or a day skipper is fine, and even then why have the race training and an RYA qualification, especially considering day and coastal skipper isn't orientated towards fast boats!
I thank you Cookee, for bringing it to everyones attention.
Its either H & S gone even madder than it already was, or, as previously posted, its the anti-powerboating lobby within the RYA flexing their muscles & anticipating further income !
USA licences anyone ???

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote