Boat name: spirit of flight
Boat make: phantom 19
Engines: Yam 130 at the mo
Cruising area: where theres water

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Hmmm !! Will let WSS answer that one !!
Hi Bob
My log in is Flight Racing - not WSS! As most people have seen on here recently I really have not got a lot to say because there is absolutely no point in saying something when no one is prepared to listen. What I will try to tell you all is how the UIM operates and how the General Assembly works.

At a General Assembly there are lots of meetings by all the various Committees that represent the National Authorities at the UIM ranging from Circuit, JetSki and obviously, Offshore. Unfortunately there is nobody currently to represent and VOTE on behalf of the UK at Cominoff. The reason for this is that the RYA decided, as you all know, to withdraw their support for myself, as the UK voting representative on Cominoff. When I was elected at the 2007 and 2008 General Assembly onto Cominoff, I received 100% of the vote from all the Offshore Nations Globally - which was the first time this had ever happened. There are a lot of Offshore Nations.

I will explain how the voting process works. Once all the Committees have had their meetings over the course of the General Assembly, there is a final meeting where all the country/UIM representatives are present. At this final meeting on the last day, the voting takes place. The first items are to vote on Rule Changes, for example Canopies being made compulsory for Class 3. The last item on the Agenda is to elect new Voting Members that have been proposed by the National Authorities for the Committees ie John Puddifoot to represent the UK on Cominoff. Unfortunately, until JP is voted in by the Offshore Nations onto Cominoff, he does not have a Vote on any issue.

Therefore, JP is not able to vote on the Canopy issue for Class 3 until the next General Assembly in 2010. By which time it may very well be too late.

The ramifications of this Rule Change to Class 3 will open a can of worms that you guys will just not believe - for example how can you make canopies compulsory for boats doing 80mph to 90mph AND not make it compulsory for boats that are faster ie Marathon - who I believe wants to become a UIM International Class. In the event of a fatality the lawyers will have a field day - because if it is mandatory for boats doing 80mph - why is not mandatory for boats that go faster eg P1 and Marathon.

What needs to be understood about this entire issue - is that once canopies are mandatory for a Class on SAFETY GROUNDS - the UIM is stating that it is not safe to Race without a canopy and they are the World Governing Body. Do you honestly think in the worst case scenario you would have an argument in a Court of Law.

The most important thing you need to be very clear about is that the UIM is not a Club - and it is not a National Authority. It is recognised internationally as the World Governing Body of Powerboat Racing. The politics involved stretch well beyond the Sport of Powerboat Racing. As an example, if you had a Country that is "unfriendly" politically, it doesn't matter how sensible the Proposal is, they will vote against you - it is just like the United Nations in a condensed format.

You do not have to believe me - check with other people who have attended UIM General Assemblies - JP and the RYA are not the best barometers.

To be quite frank I have been totally blacklisted from a Sport that is my passion and has been for the last 30+ years - purely because I had the audacity to stand up for the Clubs and Drivers and tried to do what was right for the Sport - not what was right for RYA politically or otherwise.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester

Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #22

Boat make: Argo 18
Engines: Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Well as the UK now has no one on Cominoff and no vote how are you going to stop it the Italians will get there way.

I might be wrong but I don't think that the canopy issue can be woted on this year! It was voted against two years ago and can't be up for disscution until 2010!
But if that change something in there motion, it might be up this year!
Have any one seen this years motions for the GA?
Flight racing might sheed some light over this!

24Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Maniac View Post
I might be wrong but I don't think that the canopy issue can be woted on this year! It was voted against two years ago and can't be up for disscution until 2010!
But if that change something in there motion, it might be up this year!
Have any one seen this years motions for the GA?
Flight racing might sheed some light over this!
I'm afraid you are wrong. We too thought that it couldnt raise its ugly head again for a while, but the Italians snuck it in again. They are determined to get this rule in, as we are to keep it out. Tricky times.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #24

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Interestingly - when I was last in Italy one of the team managers was telling me that a lot of the reasoning for canopys then was image. Not that you could ever imagine the Italians caring about their image

The thinking was that they were trying to promote 3C as their premier offshore class and make a professional series. Canopied boats looked far better / racier for the crowds / filming / media. Then it looked rather silly / amateur to have an open cockpit boat racing or even winning - and took away from the image they were trying to portray!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Interestingly - when I was last in Italy one of the team managers was telling me that a lot of the reasoning for canopys then was image. Not that you could ever imagine the Italians caring about their image

The thinking was that they were trying to promote 3C as their premier offshore class and make a professional series. Canopied boats looked far better / racier for the crowds / filming / media. Then it looked rather silly / amateur to have an open cockpit boat racing or even winning - and took away from the image they were trying to portray!
Classic ! Although in my view a clean B-23 (Scottys / Brians / Franks) looks a lot better than some of the garden shedlike canopy shapes out there.
Who are we to argue with Italian style................

(yours is nice too Beardy)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #26

Interests: Powerboats and Rugby
Boat name: C96 Fast Air
Boat make: Ocke Mannerfelt B-23
Engines: Mercury 200XS
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Breakaway from the UIM.

Is that what X-CAT did?

Big V is offline   Reply With Quote