Boatmad.com

Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #161

Horses for Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Well Done Mike agree with others takes some b%lls to commit costs to building a new bespoke race boat in affluent times let alone in these uncertain times, always thought a kind of Buzzi bullet boat was not a bad idea as I believe the tubes fit over a rail and it would therefore not be to hard to have a hard boat version as Buzzi did

Was going to post last night about the 34 being a bit short for P1 but then I thought no Mike's been around boats and racing for like ever so he would know all this anyway and things in the boaty world don't always follow ... take the Buzzi/Bumsqueeker XS2000 the hull is only 33' with 6' of trimax drive and this boat has proved it's mark in rough condition's numerous times including the Cowes event some years back and a well setup balanced smaller boat can see off a bigger rival in the rough most times and even in this years P1 the real winner was the Donzi 38' quicker round the turns and faster against the bigger Malta 41' boat and next year apparently it's all change for Supper sport with what looks like perhaps a final lifting of the ridiculous in racing speed restrictions

Perhaps Cookie may reconsider all the costs in building his own project racer and look at yours may be a good alternative option

I wish anyone well who makes the effort to develop and construct a new race boat, whether its a derivative or an original.

However the quotes above should be put into context. I agree the Donzi package last year was quicker and the new rule change speed limit should suit the Donzi. However last seasons P1 races were all in calm waters, esspecially if you compare with the last 4 seasons. What is the chance of all races being in calm waters next year!!!!!!!!! The longer the boat, the better in rough seas (mathmatically obvious). Therefore you have to get the balance just right. The Chaudron has got the balance right for 3 years, but had to rely on reliability and luck to a higher percentage this year. For all races to be calm this year was a fluke........I would bet it won't happen again next season!!

As a foot note re the rule change of increasing the speed limit to 90mph. When we get a P1 race in rough water and a racer stuffs at these speeds in an open top boat, the consequences will be broken necks, paralysis and possible deaths. In the last 3 years the speed limit has been raised 15mph without any additional safety measures to protect the crews in open top boats. Why not change the hp to kg ratio if the boats are going too fast. Evolution boats are doing 110mph, super sport boats are now doing 90mph. The difference in an accident between the classes is simple, evolution crew survive almost definitely, super sport crews sufer death or serious injury definitely!

If the authorities were even remotely worried about crew safety subsequent to the rule change, they could have insisted on head restraints to combat serious neck injuries in the event of a high speed stuff.

Back to the subject...good luck and best wishes to all participating, helping and supporting racing boats in any form.

Cheers Paul

Paul Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #162
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howes View Post
I wish anyone well who makes the effort to develop and construct a new race boat, whether its a derivative or an original.

Cheers Paul
That may have been posted at Kinfast-O-Clock Paul, but please don't start down this route again.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #163
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howes View Post

However the quotes above should be put into context. I agree the Donzi package last year was quicker and the new rule change speed limit should suit the Donzi. However last seasons P1 races were all in calm waters, esspecially if you compare with the last 4 seasons. What is the chance of all races being in calm waters next year!!!!!!!!! The longer the boat, the better in rough seas (mathmatically obvious). Therefore you have to get the balance just right. The Chaudron has got the balance right for 3 years, but had to rely on reliability and luck to a higher percentage this year. For all races to be calm this year was a fluke........I would bet it won't happen again next season!!

As a foot note re the rule change of increasing the speed limit to 90mph. When we get a P1 race in rough water and a racer stuffs at these speeds in an open top boat, the consequences will be broken necks, paralysis and possible deaths. In the last 3 years the speed limit has been raised 15mph without any additional safety measures to protect the crews in open top boats. Why not change the hp to kg ratio if the boats are going too fast. Evolution boats are doing 110mph, super sport boats are now doing 90mph. The difference in an accident between the classes is simple, evolution crew survive almost definitely, super sport crews sufer death or serious injury definitely!

If the authorities were even remotely worried about crew safety subsequent to the rule change, they could have insisted on head restraints to combat serious neck injuries in the event of a high speed stuff.

Back to the subject...good luck and best wishes to all participating, helping and supporting racing boats in any form.

Cheers Paul
Cfun first - why should I buy a Ring if I can build something different myself? Would you be happier of we made it one class racing?

I agree that with P1 34 is too short and you need a 41 to compete in an average season, a true 38 stands a chance, but a 34 is pushing it too far. (I should add our boat is not designed with P1 in mind and I doubt if Mikes is either)

Yes the speeds have gone up 5mph, but I think you're being a bit pessimistic about death or serious injury! Where are these head restraints you can buy to prevent serious neck injury? As far as I am aware Hans devices fit onto a harness?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #164

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Cfun first - why should I buy a Ring if I can build something different myself? Would you be happier of we made it one class racing?
No offence meant Cookee,

I was just speculating not on weather you could as I think probably everyone on Boatmad is aware you guys/gals at Bananasharkracing are very capable of any task you undertake ... I was more referring to the time and money involved in doing such a large scale boat being a viable proposition if it's main objective was just the RB and endurance event racing especially in the light of you scouting for a ready made boat from another manufacturer and as Mike Ring already has an infrastructure for re-selling and marketing his new 34' through foreign outlets and therefore it may have proven a much cheaper option although granted not a particularly ideal one if Bananashark intend building up an extensive range of models and sizes same as Mike Ring or Revenger, Scorpion etc

PS ... I know you have a few ribs in your range already

Like I say No offence meant and I very much look forward to seeing the progress through the pic's you post and same goes for Mike's Project
Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #165
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
No offence meant Cookee,

I was just speculating not on weather you could as I think probably everyone on Boatmad is aware you guys/gals at Bananasharkracing are very capable of any task you undertake ... I was more referring to the time and money involved in doing such a large scale boat being a viable proposition if it's main objective was just the RB and endurance event racing especially in the light of you scouting for a ready made boat from another manufacturer and as Mike Ring already has an infrastructure for re-selling and marketing his new 34' through foreign outlets and therefore it may have proven a much cheaper option although granted not a particularly ideal one if Bananashark intend building up an extensive range of models and sizes same as Mike Ring or Revenger, Scorpion etc

PS ... I know you have a few ribs in your range already

Like I say No offence meant and I very much look forward to seeing the progress through the pic's you post and same goes for Mike's Project
After finding nothing that would suit and having been offered a great deal by "Scand" I decided to go down the build you own route - now we have started it would be childish to jack it all and go with a Ring, no matter how good I'm sure the boat will be!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #166

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
After finding nothing that would suit and having been offered a great deal by "Scand" I decided to go down the build you own route - now we have started it would be childish to jack it all and go with a Ring, no matter how good I'm sure the boat will be!
Looking at the RB08 race, I think the only new British hull / design / plug built for the event was Swipewipes?

So fairly exciting when we here of another 2 British boats confirmed for Marathon Racing in 2010/11, with at least 1 more unannounced project sitting in the wings.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #167
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Looking at the RB08 race, I think the only new British hull / design / plug built for the event was Swipewipes?

So fairly exciting when we here of another 2 British boats confirmed for Marathon Racing in 2010/11, with at least 1 more unannounced project sitting in the wings.
I agree it is interesting although I would like to claim slightly cautiously to claim that we are the only "ground up" brand new boat as I believe the Ring is based on an existing boat being modified like Swipewipes? Of course it's a bit like rebuilding an broom - how many bits do you have to change to make it all brand new

Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #168

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post

When will the unannounced project be announced?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #169

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
When will the unannounced project be announced?
To be announced.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #170
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
I agree it is interesting although I would like to claim slightly cautiously to claim that we are the only "ground up" brand new boat as I believe the Ring is based on an existing boat being modified like Swipewipes?
But yours is a Norwegian design so doesn't really count as a British boat anyway!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #171
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
But yours is a Norwegian design
Which bit are you refering to?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #172
BananaShark Member

Quote:
But yours is a Norwegian design so doesn't really count as a British boat anyway!
Only the top half!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #173
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Oh picky, picky, picky!

Half Norwegian, half South African?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #174
numbskull

OMG!!! not falcon?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #175

Boat make: Nothing fast...

Quote:
But yours is a Norwegian design...
That will mean it will be bloody fast, then
PhatFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
OMG!!! not falcon?
Where is my special SA straight edge? Go on Jon show the photo, you know you want to
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #177
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFrank View Post
That will mean it will be bloody fast, then
...And VERY expensive

And scared of big waves?

Only kiddin.

Actually, I think the Scand-Shark design is one of the sexiest looking boats I've seen in a long while. Will be interesting to see how it looks in the flesh.

I feel that at 34', scale restraints might mean the cockpit is a little cramped, and finding space for fuel tanks etc will be a complex issue, but at 40+' I think it would be absolutely awesome.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #178
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten View Post
Where is my special SA straight edge? Go on Jon show the photo, you know you want to
I can't, it's too cruel and I'm a sensitive soul.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I can't, it's too cruel and I'm a sensitive soul.
B****cks
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #180
numbskull

Ok...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manos_1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	22661   Click image for larger version

Name:	manos_2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	22662