Boatmad.com

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

New race series

Well you can't call RIB racers wimps any more!

P1 in their infinite wisdom have created three classes for RIB racing to go along with the Superstock series - the classes are as follows:

Class
Length min Length max Total Boat hp – single or twin engine allowed
R1 8.00m N/A 700 diesel 600 petrol
R2 6.50m 8.00m 430 diesel 300 petrol
R3 5.50m 7.00m 330 diesel 200 petrol

Our old race boat that topped out at over 90mph on Coniston would only qualify for R2, and you could enter an 8 metre RIB with an Ilmore V10 600 in it or a pair of 280 2.5's - all this has been passed by the RYA although I haven't heard about it going through the ORC.

I thought that we were trying to make boat racing safer - It seems that P1 isn't happy with making the Cougars faster but they are going to make the RIBs faster as well.

Anyone want to order one of these?

All of this is on offer!

• Part of Powerboat P1’s marine motorsport platform
• Championship integrates with other P1 marine motorsport Grand Prix of the Sea events to create a ‘Festival of the Sea’ for spectators
• National television and media coverage – British Eurosport and motorsport magazine shows
• Prize money and Maurice Lacroix time piece prizes per Grand Prix winner per class
• Brand exposure for your sponsors
• Hospitality
• Race career progression to other series and international racing opportunities
• Marketing platform for manufacturers to showcase their RIBs and engines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5475 crop MM.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	24780  

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #2

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

P1 in their infinite wisdom have created three classes for RIB racing to go along with the Superstock series - the classes are as follows:

Class

Our old race boat that topped out at over 90mph on Coniston would only qualify for R2, and you could enter an 8 metre RIB with an Ilmore V10 600 in it or a pair of 280 2.5's - all this has been passed by the RYA although I haven't heard about it going through the ORC.

I thought that we were trying to make boat racing safer - It seems that P1 isn't happy with making the Cougars faster but they are going to make the RIBs faster as well.

All of this is on offer!

• Championship integrates with other P1 marine motorsport Grand Prix of the Sea events to create a ‘Festival of the Sea’ for spectators
• National television and media coverage – British Eurosport and motorsport magazine shows
• Prize money and Maurice Lacroix time piece prizes per Grand Prix winner per class
• Hospitality
• Race career progression to other series and international racing opportunities
Cookee, how much would you charge to put a "large" rubbing strip around my B23?

"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Wow.
Any speed limits planned? Or min weights?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
Cookee, how much would you charge to put a "large" rubbing strip around my B23?
As you know from when we fitted the anti stuff nose to your P21 that made it eligible for 3C we are very reasonable - we just need to know how big it has to be first!

Scand - I have asked for the technical rules so I will publish those if and when I have an answer.

Here is some more info:

Positioned as the marine motorsport equivalent to rally driving, the P1 RIB Championship will roll out internationally as a sanctioned championship from 2011. Our rules have been approved by the RYA and will be submitted to the UIM at its 2010 annual general meeting for approval.

2010 Race Calendar
• 9-11 July, Pwllheli, North Wales
• 12 September, Southampton Boat Show
• 1-3 October, Lymington

Races will be run on a 2 nautical mile course close to shore and will last 30-35 minutes with two races being held over the race weekend.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

The following is an extract from an article I wrote for RiB International magazine Issue 93 (April/May);

‘The RYA has now proposed a series of rule changes to RiB racing. These modified rules mean that the boat and engine classifications have been simplified. One of the ideas being suggested is that rather then having a minimum weight, which always seems to cause problems at some basic race venues, because you have to hire cranes and weight cells to weight them, they are going to try and encourage basic recreational boats to come out on the water which are CE marked. So if you have a typical 7 metre RiB which is CE marked for 150hp then that is the maximum horse power that can be used on it. The plan would be to develop the class structure to enable the engines that are on the market to fit into three categories and these will be divided up by length and maximum horsepower. So R3 would be for RiB’s from 5.5 metres to 7 metres with a maximum total horsepower of 330 for diesel and 200 for petrol. R2 would be for RiB’s from 6.5 metres to 8 metres with a total max of 430 for diesel and 300 for petrol and finally R1 which would be for RiB’s of 8 metres and over with a total max horsepower of 700 for diesel and 600 for petrol. As to pure racing RiB’s they would be allowed to compete but at the race organiser’s discretion.
The ‘powers that be’ have also said that they plan to have provisions in the rules for competitors out there that don’t have CE marked boats. Another area in the rules that has been tidied up is to do with the level of the ancillary equipment needed to race. In the past this has often caused problems in terms of cost and stowage.’
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #6

This all sounds, at first glance, to be good news. Interesting to see how it develops....
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #7

Cookee,
As you are probably aware, this has not been put before the RYA Offshore Racing Committee or the Safety & Technical Working Group. We are as ill informed as you, so remain unable to comment.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #8

Quote:

Class

All of this is on offer!

• Hospitality
Cookee, where can I access your source of information? Not on the P1 site.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #9

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Barrie, all this info has come directly from P1.

Dear RIB & Powerboat Professional

I wanted to introduce you to the new P1 RIB Championship which is being launched by Powerboat P1 Management Ltd, rights holders to the P1 SuperStock Championship and Powerboat P1 World Championship.

Our new P1 RIB Championship will be racing in the UK from July and will attract the very best RIBs and pilots, affording the most competitive and accessible marine motorsport series to date.

We are looking for pilots and manufacturers who want to compete in a credible and highly professional form of racing from the following sectors:

RIB racing teams
Powerboat training schools
RIB / engine manufacturers
Powerboat clubs
Marina clubs
Yacht tender crews
Armed Forces
Sea Scouts
Coastguard & Lifeboat crews
RIB owners & enthusiasts

Positioned as the marine motorsport equivalent to rally driving, the P1 RIB Championship will roll out internationally as a sanctioned championship from 2011. Our rules have been approved by the RYA and will be submitted to the UIM at its 2010 annual general meeting for approval.

The following classes of RIB are eligible for entry based on a mandatory crew of two:

Class Length min Length max Total Boat hp – single or twin engine allowed

2010 Race Calendar

9-11 July, Pwllheli, North Wales
12 September, Southampton Boat Show
1-3 October, Lymington

Races will be run on a 2 nautical mile course close to shore and will last 30-35 minutes with two races being held over the race weekend.

P1 RIB Championship benefits:

Part of Powerboat P1’s marine motorsport platform
Championship integrates with other P1 marine motorsport Grand Prix of the Sea events to create a ‘Festival of the Sea’ for spectators
National television and media coverage – British Eurosport and motorsport magazine shows
Prize money and Maurice Lacroix time piece prizes per Grand Prix winner per class
Brand exposure for your sponsors
Hospitality
Race career progression to other series and international racing opportunities
Marketing platform for manufacturers to showcase their RIBs and engines

If you would like to take part, or need further information, then please email me at jonathan.walls@powerboatp1.com to register and I will come back to you.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you on board.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Walls

Head of Marketing Communications

Powerboat P1 Management Ltd
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
Inflatable OCR?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
BananaShark Member

Quote:
The following is an extract from an article I wrote for RiB International magazine Issue 93 (April/May);

‘The RYA has now proposed a series of rule changes to RiB racing. These modified rules mean that the boat and engine classifications have been simplified. One of the ideas being suggested is that rather then having a minimum weight, which always seems to cause problems at some basic race venues, because you have to hire cranes and weight cells to weight them, they are going to try and encourage basic recreational boats to come out on the water which are CE marked. So if you have a typical 7 metre RiB which is CE marked for 150hp then that is the maximum horse power that can be used on it. The plan would be to develop the class structure to enable the engines that are on the market to fit into three categories and these will be divided up by length and maximum horsepower. So R3 would be for RiB’s from 5.5 metres to 7 metres with a maximum total horsepower of 330 for diesel and 200 for petrol. R2 would be for RiB’s from 6.5 metres to 8 metres with a total max of 430 for diesel and 300 for petrol and finally R1 which would be for RiB’s of 8 metres and over with a total max horsepower of 700 for diesel and 600 for petrol. As to pure racing RiB’s they would be allowed to compete but at the race organiser’s discretion.
The ‘powers that be’ have also said that they plan to have provisions in the rules for competitors out there that don’t have CE marked boats. Another area in the rules that has been tidied up is to do with the level of the ancillary equipment needed to race. In the past this has often caused problems in terms of cost and stowage.’
JP told me about that at the launch of the SuperStock 300's - where that all goes wrong as I told him, is that I could CE mark a boat for any HP I like so long as I put a sticker by the helm saying "Do not turn at full throttle".

As I said at the beginning 8 metres and 600hp would be very fast - a few years ago the big Revenger's with twins on had a tendency to do a "Honda 225", and that was with twin 200's - what about twin EFI's? I remember a flat race in Exmouth (it's always the flat ones!) and there were a number of boats waiting to be turned back over in the inner harbour including the odd B23 - which reminds me haven't heard from Chris recently!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #12

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Inflatable OCR?
Strange really !! OCR have never been allowed to run Ribs on small courses !!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #13

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Class Length min Length max Total Boat hp – single or twin engine allowed

That's a rather generous hp allowance for the top class, considering Puddifoot managed 90 ish with just a pair of 150's a few years ago!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Ya average 700hp diesel engine & suitable drive system would look quite large in the back of a SR8! not to mention the weight.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #15

A proposition for discussion.......is someones ultimate plan to deliver control of all powerboat racing in the UK to P1 ?.....and would that be where their future lies ?

....P1 sub contracted to run the sport in the UK...is that an option for the RYA to remove a thorn from their side ?

....What can't be delivered will be destroyed !
PKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #16

This twin engined goldfish 28 RIB with a cabin would fit the pec:
http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=21837354
Not sure how it would handle OCR though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Ya average 700hp diesel engine & suitable drive system would look quite large in the back of a SR8! not to mention the weight.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKJB View Post
A proposition for discussion.......is someones ultimate plan to deliver control of all powerboat racing in the UK to P1 ?.....and would that be where their future lies ?

....P1 sub contracted to run the sport in the UK...is that an option for the RYA to remove a thorn from their side ?

....What can't be delivered will be destroyed !
With all due respect to P1 and Asif they haven't got the best record of sticking with a class, and who would trust them with overall control of Powerboat Racing in the UK with the knowledge that they would pull out if they didn't think the competitors were professional enough?

Some of the boats racing in the UK are very reliable and fast and capable of winning but they may not be the best presented boats in the world - I remember a meeting with Peter Butler where he tried to get the OCR boys to put infills in the back of the Phantoms etc in order to make them look better and more professional on TV - it never happened!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
This twin engined goldfish 28 RIB with a cabin would fit the pec:
http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=21837354
Not sure how it would handle OCR though?

I think an open RIB with twin EFI's would walk all over that - it would need strong drives with those tight turns and heavy accelerating as well - it may fit the class but it would be easily beaten on paper - IMHO!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post
Cookee,
As you are probably aware, this has not been put before the RYA Offshore Racing Committee or the Safety & Technical Working Group. We are as ill informed as you, so remain unable to comment.
I have been asked to clarify the above quote.

The 2010 RIB Experimental International Rules were embedded within the BIBOA section of the PB1 rules, distributed electronically with all, but one, of the other class rules to the ORC on the 24 March 2010, which is why many of us did not immediately correlate them to the recent P1 Superstock announcement.

There was no mention of the course length or race distance within the PB1 2010 RIB rules, but the class specification, as now being implemented by P1 Superstock, was definitely there.

The PB1 P1 Superstock rules stated only the two classes of 300 and 150.

SAT were asked to comment on the safety aspects of the entire PB1 and no adverse comment was received in regard to the newly introduced RIB rules.

So, although the rules weren't specifically discussed on ORC, they were contained in the PB1 rule book we were given and we didn't recognise the correlation.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #20

Just saying that the goldfish would fit, not that it would be any good.

Quote:
I think an open RIB with twin EFI's would walk all over that - it would need strong drives with those tight turns and heavy accelerating as well - it may fit the class but it would be easily beaten on paper - IMHO!