BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

P1 News

Asif has been to Milan and got his wrist slapped:

P1 Management Committee Statement
Considering the overall challenging situation, the P1 Management Committee met on the 12th of April 2010 at Villa Malpensa, Italy to find a reasonable and acceptable solution in order not to put in jeopardy the 2010 Powerboat P1 racing season.
The UIM President reprimanded the Powerboat P1 Management on the untimely decision to suspend the 2010 racing season.
After constructive discussions, at the end of the meeting, it was unanimously agreed by the P1 Management Committee that the UIM Powerboat P1 contracted promoter will use all its good offices to organize as many events as feasible in 2010 and honour the obligations with the UIM.
Dr. Raffaele Chiulli
UIM President

Having spoken to P1 this morning, the above means they will not be organising the series, but they retain the rights and will assist anyone who wants to take the World Championship on.

Jean-Marie Van Lancker is the President of the UIM Pleasure Navigation Commission, and the P1 series is run under their rules - he is apparently still heavily involved and is one of the people trying very hard to get the series back on its feet.

The Canadian Lucas Oil boat is in Europe and testing although there is no sign of Martin Lai's Pantera as yet although that may be a whole different story. With so much money and preparation involved I can't see this thing folding completely, so I'm hoping good news is just around the corner albeit without Asif.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #2

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Asif has been to Milan and got his wrist slapped:

P1 Management Committee Statement
Considering the overall challenging situation, the P1 Management Committee met on the 12th of April 2010 at Villa Malpensa, Italy to find a reasonable and acceptable solution in order not to put in jeopardy the 2010 Powerboat P1 racing season.
The UIM President reprimanded the Powerboat P1 Management on the untimely decision to suspend the 2010 racing season.
After constructive discussions, at the end of the meeting, it was unanimously agreed by the P1 Management Committee that the UIM Powerboat P1 contracted promoter will use all its good offices to organize as many events as feasible in 2010 and honour the obligations with the UIM.
Dr. Raffaele Chiulli
UIM President

Having spoken to P1 this morning, the above means they will not be organising the series, but they retain the rights and will assist anyone who wants to take the World Championship on.

Jean-Marie Van Lancker is the President of the UIM Pleasure Navigation Commission, and the P1 series is run under their rules - he is apparently still heavily involved and is one of the people trying very hard to get the series back on its feet.

The Canadian Lucas Oil boat is in Europe and testing although there is no sign of Martin Lai's Pantera as yet although that may be a whole different story. With so much money and preparation involved I can't see this thing folding completely, so I'm hoping good news is just around the corner albeit without Asif.
Perhaps the UIM should also reprimand P1 and F4SA for assisting the destruction of Honda

Amazing that people can get away with it....and all those Honda guys sliding across to the promised land...they muist be mad...

Ah well Hobbo I suppose your billionaire mate may have you racing in Europe some day.

How many billionaires do I know? That was your question at the Honda bash?

Good luck to you all. A real pity the teams didn't get together and support one another for now the poor sods in P1 have just about all that to do.

The UIM should ban them from ever managing a series again!!!!!!!!!!

Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #3

OK, I do not agree with the decision and the time for the decision to be announced Asif chose, actually i am quite dissappointed, but I think everyone is picturing Asif as a really really big wicked monster, nobody is considering that shoudn't it have been to his personal commitment , personal capital, and ideas, the sport wouldn't have been where it is today, I think nobody is apreciating this. To set the record straight , I d o not aggree with the statment or whatsoever.
big_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #4

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_johnny View Post
OK, I do not agree with the decision and the time for the decision to be announced Asif chose, actually i am quite dissappointed, but I think everyone is picturing Asif as a really really big wicked monster, nobody is considering that shoudn't it have been to his personal commitment , personal capital, and ideas, the sport wouldn't have been where it is today, I think nobody is apreciating this. To set the record straight , I d o not aggree with the statment or whatsoever.
Where is the sport today.... tell me?

Honda has been split up and P1?

Then it is about time people like all of us simply take on a strict and sensible business practice: don't rely on one source of income. Sadly there are too many that seem to hero worship...I was actually asked "how many billionaires do I know?" By one Honda team owner,,,....??? Hero worship!!!! I said to him: I have no care for people's wealth only their actions when they effect and affect me.

I do not know P1 management people and neither, due to the way they have acted (and in desperation) in recent months, do I care for them. I have seen the most intolerable actions, undermining of teams and frankly deep ended bull... - all pitched and presented for us to absorb....well some people anyway.

And now to invest in Superstock instead of P1 as the model is now 'bottom up' not 'top down'? Round of applause from P1 tyeams I bet!

"Quite disappointed" you say?

I think the presentation I saw from the deluded P1 Management called their leader the King....does that not tell you something? But P1 teams have invested heavily just as I did in Honda. A backer pulls out and the term I have heard a lot "underwriting" ....hmm I wonder how long they will underwrite Superstock before they find that the public are not interested in powerboat racing at that level either.

I don't know him personally and I hope I never will for what he has helped F4SA do to the rest of the Honda fleet...and to my boat value helped and assisted by the Warsash clique.

If I was a P1 team seeing the change of mind to Superstock I would be screaming from the rafters...

Now the Honda guys who were told that Superstock is a career move to P1 Evo and Supersport ..what about their European racing? It's all clutching at straws and as a business person the signs are there. I have done it myself!

Join XCAT guys when you are fed up with broken promises. I can tell you that runing alongside 20 other boats at over 100 mph to one buoy is just like the old Honda days of a fleet of 18 X 225s...but even more of a buzz!!

For once again we are experiencing great 'family spirit and brotherhood in teams' Great venues and guess what it is without the grand entrance of any 'King' - just thoroughbred racing as I suspect it is with the Marathon guys and gals here!!!!

So sorry to be blunt: but when you sit on clouds and dream of the past or what could have been then you find you come down with a harsh wake up call as the bad dream unravels. As people know here, I see it for what it is and judge by facts not personalities - only their actions. As Honda was detroyed by mis-management I had to find a place to race.

I chose Xcat..and got on with it. If that goes south then I will find another but I sure as hell will never trust any key powerboat personality or place my investment in the hands of 1 person again.
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #5

I AGREE WITH YOU THERE YES,!!!!!!!!

big_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #6

FYI Malta Times yesterday

Saturday, 17th April 2010

Powerboats
New Chaudron unveiled
Valhmor Camilleri

The launching of Ukrainian Spirit's new Chaudron, yesterday.

Aaron Ciantar and Victor Shemchuk yesterday unveiled the new Ukrainian Spirit Chaudron powerboat on which they will be making their Evolution class debut in this year's P1 world championship.

For Ciantar and Shemchuk, winners of the 2009 Supersport title along with former partner Angelo Tedeschi, the launching at Bulebel marked the start of a new venture in their careers as they will be looking to leave their mark in the 2010 championship on board the 41-foot racer, designed and constructed by Ciantar and his father Charlie.

"After months of hard work we have finally completed our new boat for the 2010 championship," Ciantar told those present for the launching including Finance Minister Tonio Fenech and Parliamentary Secretary for Sport Clyde Puli.

"The Evolution class will be a new experience for all of us but we are confident that this boat will be competitive. For me personally, this is the first time that I will be racing with Victor as throttleman but I think we only need a couple of races to maximise our understanding."

Shemchuk, who is also the team owner, could not hide his delight as the new silver and yellow boat, sporting the no.55 on its sides, was unveiled.

"This boat is without doubt the most beautiful and the best in the championship," Shemchuk said.

"Charlie and Aaron have done excellent work and I'm really looking forward to the first tests on the water.

"We've started this partnership three years ago and so far we have always kept our promise... this year will be no different. Our objective is to rank among the leading teams in the Evolution class."

The 2010 championship will start in Yalta, Ukraine, on May 9 with Malta set to stage this year's Grand Prix in September.

The championship seriously risked collapsing in the past few weeks when Powerboat P1 promoters pulled out of the organisation, citing financial problems. However, governing body UIM immediately stepped in to take all responsibilities for this year's races.

"The 2010 championship will be under the stewardship of the UIM," Jean-Marie van Lancker, UIM Pleasure Navigation Commission president, told The Times yesterday.

"Powerboat P1 are no longer in charge and will only remain in the organisation as advisors. All races this year will be chaired by the UIM directly."

Van Lancker is already eyeing the opening race of the season.

"For our first round in Ukraine we expect to have 18 teams in both Supersport and Evolution.

"Despite the initial difficulties, the 2010 championship will feature some new venues along with countries like Malta, now a regular fixture in the calendar."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new chaudron launch.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24152  

Paul Howes is offline   Reply With Quote