Boatmad.com

Old 14-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #41

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Well we have everything we would need, always at least 3 dive boats, 2 paramedics etc and all experienced with canopies for the worlds an europeans, but we've not really discussed canopies in the basics yet as the situation hasn't come about.

Leave it with me and we'll discuss it at a committee meeting. Given the fact we seem to be the only UK venue offering a proper full year of racing, it'd be handy for us to be able to cater for canopies to allow everyone to join in.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
CB1

Larby I dont know what you're on but please let me have some of it!!!!
The times that we have raced in the Channel Islands, national and worlds, the ferry fares have been up around £650.00. Why would condor bring the costs down for basic racing? Aside of that, where are you going to get all the officers from? I've been led to belive that they have all retired from the GPA.

CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #43

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

, where are you going to get all the officers from? I've been led to belive that they have all retired from the GPA.[/QUOTE]

You could always train up as an official Chris !! Along with several others on here !!
Old 15-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #44
CB1

Been thinking about it Bob.... Scrutineer for OCR... Your worst nightmare lol.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #45

I'd be very interesting to hear who's given you that impression re officials. We've run a full season of races for the last 3 years over here and never had any issues with officials. Local officials are still more than happy to help, one in particular has done most of the races this season! Should we require extra cover, we use officials from the UK. We also have people within the club who are training as safety, OOD, race sec and timekeepers. By the middle of next year we should have our own officials again.

Yep, condor can be expensive, I've never said it'll be free, I've just said that I'll do everything I can to help out with getting costs down. Don't forget condor is not the only way to get a boat over!
If we're holding a full season of powerboating, year after year, with people wanting to travel over to join us, that's quite a lot of coverage for someone looking to offer transport.

I'm not on anything, I just have a strong belief that with enough effort we can get powerboating back on track in Guernsey for the benefit of the island and all the people in the UK who want to race in a proper open series. I'd love to help out in the UK where it's easier for you guys to get to the races, but I can't from over here!
We've got a great series going on here and I'm genuinely just trying my best to help you guys join in. At the end of the day it's gonna be the cheapest option off the UK mainland compared to Malta/France etc, or could act as a great place to race on your way to one of the other locations!

I hope that helps to resolve your concerns...

All the best, James

Old 15-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #46
CB1

Dick Ridout tried for years to get powerboating back to what it was in its hayday in Guernsey. Do you think you will ever beable to reach those hieghts again? You are putting on a basic series so the RM would be cheaper for those who want to race basics...
Old 15-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #47

Well no, I don't think I could ever manage to re-create what they had back in the day. I'm definately no Dick Ridout!
I'd love to have those days back, but the world is a different place today. Hell, I wasn't even born when it started! I doubt powerboating will ever be how it was back then in the UK either, I'd just like it to be as big as it can over here again.

Without a new generation trying their best to move into the shoes of the 'godfathers' of the sport and bring it back back onto it's feet, it's just going to die off a little more with each person who retires from organising, racing or being an official.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see many other 26 year olds with a young family and new business giving their time to be Chairman of their local club, not to mention travelling to the UK whenever possible, normally out of my own pocket to join in with meetings etc and try to take action to save the sport.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being off or anything, I'm really not at all, but I put my life into powerboating and I get the impression you feel a need to criticise what we're trying to do over here which I don't understand?

Cheers, James

Re. your edit, what's the 'RM'?

Old 15-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #48

Interests: boats,cars,bikes,paintball
Boat make: phantom 23,Extreme 24
Engines: 6.2 mercrusier + 2.5 280 mercy
Cruising area: solent

Actions speak louder than words ,so keep up the good work James,without people like you powerboat racing will die
lloyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyde View Post
Actions speak louder than words ,so keep up the good work James,without people like you powerboat racing will die
Thanks Lloyde, that really means a lot. Couldn't do it without the masses of support over here from all those involved.
I do feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall sometimes though!

James

Old 15-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #50
CB1

I'm not trying to critisice you in the slightest. Just think you need to come into the real world. Powerboating has been dying for years now.. Its not just down to money or the racers involved. The problem starts at the top of the sport in the UK, namely the RYA. Over the past few years they have been changing rules to suit their own end. Allowing things to happen, which by their rules shouldn't. They are surrounding theirselves with yes men, and women, who wont question what they do. Anybody who does step out of the party line gets pushed to one side and over looked. In clubs anybody who doesnt fit in gets pushed out even though they have gone out of their way to help and have ended up out of pocket. Young, dynamic people come into the sport but are very quickly tainted with the ''I know better than you'' attitude eluded by the governing body. I wish you luck with what you are trying to do with the sport.. Just dont forget those who have had your vision for years and have put the time in to further this great sport.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #51

Absolutely. I've not nothing but respect and admiration for those who have tried in the past, regardless of if they succeeded or failed. I'm only at the start of what I'm sure will be a long and interesting journey into the world of organising powerboating!

It's a shame things have been the way they are for some new people, and I'm out to change that. We need to cut the crap from powerboating and start all working together to save our sport.

James

Old 16-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #52

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Absolutely. I've not nothing but respect and admiration for those who have tried in the past, regardless of if they succeeded or failed. I'm only at the start of what I'm sure will be a long and interesting journey into the world of organising powerboating!

It's a shame things have been the way they are for some new people, and I'm out to change that. We need to cut the crap from powerboating and start all working together to save our sport.

James
Ere fookin Ere,any Macdonalds in Geurnsey?Youve got the cider,need me hash browns now and as will be off
Old 16-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #53

Interests: Powerboat racing
Boat name: Vodkatini,Cap Camarat,Easy RiderSuper Rider & Hirrondelle
Boat make: Phantom 21,Jeaneau 925 Avenger19.Lorne Campbell Slipstream Tremlett 21.Tigershark 21
Engines: Volvo 5 litre,Merc 115 Tower,Twin 250 Suzukis and 145 Mercruiser LX
Cruising area: Channel Islands and French coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
I'm not trying to critisice you in the slightest. Just think you need to come into the real world. Powerboating has been dying for years now.. Its not just down to money or the racers involved. The problem starts at the top of the sport in the UK, namely the RYA. Over the past few years they have been changing rules to suit their own end. Allowing things to happen, which by their rules shouldn't. They are surrounding theirselves with yes men, and women, who wont question what they do. Anybody who does step out of the party line gets pushed to one side and over looked. In clubs anybody who doesnt fit in gets pushed out even though they have gone out of their way to help and have ended up out of pocket. Young, dynamic people come into the sport but are very quickly tainted with the ''I know better than you'' attitude eluded by the governing body. I wish you luck with what you are trying to do with the sport.. Just dont forget those who have had your vision for years and have put the time in to further this great sport.
Wooaah,whats with the negative waves CB1 ?
For the record Larby is a good lad and sits with a fine committee that has seen the sport thrive in Guernsey over the last two years.
I really have no time for negativity or blaming RYA etc
Just do it -we all have-and stop moaning
Old 16-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Ere fookin Ere,any Macdonalds in Geurnsey?Youve got the cider,need me hash browns now and as will be off
Jersey has a McDonald's -
Northern People eat there -
Served by East Europeans
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #55

Yep, no McCrap here, just proper restaurants and lots of bars!!

Old 16-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Jersey has a McDonald's -
Northern People eat there -
Served by East Europeans
There are 1250 Macdonalds in the u.k.two thirds of them are south of watford gap,321 in london alone,therefore i would say it is a delicassey favoured by our southern friends,no eastern europeans up here,they are all down your neck of the woods.
Old 17-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #57

Boat make: Phantom 21,Jeaneau 925 Avenger19.Lorne Campbell Slipstream Tremlett 21.Tigershark 21

Guernsey Census just in Guernsey's population 62,000-12 race boats

Moving onto UK and 60 million population if you all had our commitment and enthusiasm you would have approx 12,000 race boats
PUTS IT INTO CONTEXT
Old 17-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dutch View Post
Guernsey Census just in Guernsey's population 62,000-12 race boats

Moving onto UK and 60 million population if you all had our commitment and enthusiasm you would have approx 12,000 race boats
PUTS IT INTO CONTEXT
Aye but you are a little island and i would imagine that the bulk of your population have at some point owned or still own some type of watercraft,be it a fishing ,sailing or powercraft,us poor landlubbers are mostly up to 65miles away from any shore,you Geurnsey lads are lucky blokes to be surrounded by water,Manchester,Birmingham,Leeds have only got dark,dingy,manky canals running thro them,would not want to go for a swimm in any of them.12 raceboats,make that 13,want to bring my daughter down for a few basics to train her up,do i need a membership form?
Old 17-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Aye but you are a little island and i would imagine that the bulk of your population have at some point owned or still own some type of watercraft,be it a fishing ,sailing or powercraft,us poor landlubbers are mostly up to 65miles away from any shore,you Geurnsey lads are lucky blokes to be surrounded by water,Manchester,Birmingham,Leeds have only got dark,dingy,manky canals running thro them,would not want to go for a swimm in any of them.12 raceboats,make that 13,want to bring my daughter down for a few basics to train her up,do i need a membership form?
Fine job
I fully expect more boats next year from local racers though too.
Speak to Larby about entering for next year
CB1 was talking about the powerboat hay day in Guernsey
I'm confused as to which hay day in what decade ?
Guernsey powerboat racing in 60s,70s,80s,90s,00s?
generally some vintages are better years then others but what a rich history
Old 17-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
The 1984 "re boot" was my first time of going over there.

In '86 went over there as a 20 year old and thrashed all the Chanel Islander's in their back yard -

Ended up some years later navigating for St. Peter Ports finest Offshore Legend - When not being stopped by the Police towing the race boat in England for having a number plate 7.

- Last time over saw a picture of those day's in The Red Onion.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote