Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Am I missing something, looking through the drivers of the V24 entrants as in below, where is the Trickster,

Why is he missed out???
It is TUESDAY.
What was promiced by Tuesday????

Hmmmmn????

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #102
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

ctc

tricky,are you still doing the ctc

blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #103
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
It is TUESDAY.
What was promiced by Tuesday????

Hmmmmn????

race instructions & some rules - was it real or rumor on the WOP website

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #104
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind dog View Post
tricky,are you still doing the ctc
You know - I just dont have the answer to that question. It is Tuesday and there was supposed to be an announcement by Tuesday.

Last I heard, and this is from the Old Man hisself, V24's were banned from CTC due to the OOD refusing to allow them to cross Lyme Bay. The entry fee was being returned. This is just what I was told. No entry fee returned in the post, but the V24 class removed from the CTC website....

Would be nice if an official announcement was made.
Old 13-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #105
Traveling

Quote:
I'm sure it will be but not until its too late in the day to do anything about it, Seems a bit isolationist of the OOD to go Against UIM,RYA & ORC, But perhaps just the figurehead with more coming from the club itself. Power behind the throne and all that.
I checked out of this event when they first posted their V24 Prejudices.
That has never changed in this event or the RB08,Think it will go for any future Long distance events too.
Just dancing a PR line to sucker you in then swap ya to the poole race & keep ya money.

Team25Racing.com

Old 13-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #106
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
I'm sure it will be but not until its too late in the day to do anything about it ....
Gosh - do you think people would actually ever work like that?
Old 13-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
I'm sure it will be but not until its too late in the day to do anything about it, Seems a bit isolationist of the OOD to go Against UIM,RYA & ORC, But perhaps just the figurehead with more coming from the club itself. Power behind the throne and all that.
I checked out of this event when they first posted their V24 Prejudices.
That has never changed in this event or the RB08,Think it will go for any future Long distance events too.
Just dancing a PR line to sucker you in then swap ya to the poole race & keep ya money.
Please remember that Mike and co. stepped in with 3 weeks notice.

Are they being paid to organise this event?

Will they pocket any of the entree fees themselves?

On a personal note i would love to race against the V24.As far as i'm concerned every crew member is on his own. However it won't be me that just MIGHT get sued should someone drown

I would like to add that for the good of the sport a proper investigation/consultation call it what you like. could bring this dispute to and end.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #108
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

You really do just have to bear with us for a moment. I can assure you there's no conspiracy, or clever trick to get entries under false pretences.

I can also confirm that Mike is working very hard, wading against an extremely strong current to get an agreement that satifies ALL those who need satifying, and believe you me, that, is a mamouth task in itself. (as witnessed by me in a meeting at the RYA yesterday)

There is so much more thrashing about going on behind the scenes than most know about, so please don't inflame any situations by revving up the rumour mill, it really isn't very productive.

I am personally astonished at the sheer amount of politics going on, that the competitors rarely get to hear about, let alone actually see. The intention is to try and streamline some of the protocol, and in some cases bring on board some new blood so that races can in future be organised more around this 'club' bare bones approach, with a slant towards the endurance style events. In order to achieve this, a good few changes need to be made to the machine. Hopefully we can make those changes, but will need some help from both current, and ex racers.
Let's get CTC out of the way, then maybe we can address some of the 'issues'.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #109

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Ctc

Hi i would just like to say Eric and my son saw Mike yesterday and said he looked tired which i am not surprised with all the work he has put in getting this race up and running. Perhaps people who are not even entering should think before they comment on the event and how it is run!
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillie View Post
Hi i would just like to say Eric and my son saw Mike yesterday and said he looked tired which i am not surprised with all the work he has put in getting this race up and running. Perhaps people who are not even entering should think before they comment on the event and how it is run!
Here here an 80 year old shouldn't push himself so hard
Old 13-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #111
Traveling

I think Mike is one hard working guy and puts in a great amount of work well above the call of duty.
A lot more should throw there support behind his efforts.
I just find it strange that JF JK post on here V24 RYA give it the green light along with the ORC. The Editors comments on WOP and the stance of the OOD throwing out all canopied boats, V24 dissapearing from the entrants list, but P1 canopies remaining. People will jump to conclusions, No smoke fire and all that. But no response from the BPRC to deny such rumor
I'm sure he is working hard to resolve but are people changing the goal posts on his efforts. That would be very frustrating.
When talk of running the CTC rose from the ashes, it was about getting as many boats as possible across the start line & above all re-kindle the lost spirit of adventure that went awol. Then the politics started, ect ect was a crying shame but the person to point at is the one that opened that tin on the V24 issue & canopies in general, not the person that asks the question why & comments on such.
There is nothing wrong with open debate or an opinion, If I found every/anybody agreed I more than likley fall off my chair.

Team25Racing.com

Old 13-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #112

Well maybe just better to agree to diasgree John
Old 13-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #113

what this sport needs is more people like oldman, actually doing something constructive and trying to drag the sport forward from the bad state its in
and less people on the sidelines talking b----cks

being realistic is a single engine 24ft canopied boat really suitable to race across lyme bay , last thing you need is an incident and bad press to put another nail in the coffin
it was allways standard for the bigger boats to do ctc and the smaller boats to go around the island or in this case c.p.c
rich.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #114

total agree with you rich
Old 13-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #115
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

OK.
An official statement re: V24 / CTC will be out tomorrow from the RYA which will I think be acceptable to Marc & Co. The statement will be posted here on Boatmad.

The CTC course will now run into Lyme Bay and up to a mark / gate just off (about 1/2 mile) Lyme Regis, then down to Ore Stone rock and back (again via L-R) The canopied boats (Honey Party, Blastoff etc) will run this course with their canopies fully intact and lids on, as they were intended.

This will of course increase the total mileage somewhat, though I haven't calculated it exactly yet.

All boats will be led down the solent under the yellow start flag at approx 40knts after a muster off Egypt Point, and will re-muster just beyond Hurst Castle for the start 'proper'.

Finish line will be just west of Egypt Point.

More info to follow tomorrow with the RYA statement.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #116

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
You know - I just dont have the answer to that question. It is Tuesday and there was supposed to be an announcement by Tuesday.

Last I heard, and this is from the Old Man hisself, V24's were banned from CTC due to the OOD refusing to allow them to cross Lyme Bay. The entry fee was being returned. This is just what I was told. No entry fee returned in the post, but the V24 class removed from the CTC website....

Sorry Marc (never thought that I would ever say that) just tapped into this site tonight and have read all the comments. The cheques are all written and I will post them tomorrow morning. I have a note in front of me though from my wife saying "do we write Marc 's cheque out to him?" The V24 boys must think we /I am bleeding idiots having to send the cheques back but they do know the score and I hope they show everyone the way and enjoy the scene in Cowes Yacht Haven together with our hospitality!!!!!!

Racing Instructions on the BPRC web site now together with Courses.

JF is right, there has been trouble in mill but we are still making headway and more importantly the races are still on and looking good. We should ALL have a great time providing the weather is O.K.

What we need now is a helicopter and some money for filming. We need a film of this race.

ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #117
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.s View Post
what this sport needs is more people like oldman, actually doing something constructive and trying to drag the sport forward from the bad state its in and less people on the sidelines talking b----cks
So you have entered then? Or are you the one on the sideline talking bollocks? I have entered this thing twice and since February been told from week to week that we are in - no we are out - no we are in again - no we are out again - no we are in again - no- we are out again. That is bollocks.

At least with the RB08 the rules changed only once after I had entered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.s View Post
being realistic is a single engine 24ft canopied boat really suitable to race across lyme bay
Being realistic - a 21 foot rib is considered OK. Duh!
being realistic the V24 is canopied which means it is SAFER crossing Lyme Bay!!!

These old farts forget the sort of craft that were in class 1 and class 2 twenty years ago. One odd wave and they'd sink. The V24 is a well made modern design.

...and the V24 is possibly the best rough weather boat out there at the moment under 30 foot.

...there is no need to change the course for canopied boats - they are the same as open boats, just safer if an accident occurs!

And after being told on Friday that the V24's were not going to be allowed to run, by Mike ( Old Man ) and that my entry fee would be returned and that an announcement would be made by Tuesday, I am a little pissed off that on Wednesday evening there is still no official announcement, no return of the entry and the only thing I can see is that our entries have been removed from the organising club webpage.

Mike and Jon may only have had 3 weeks to organise things - but that is no excuse for this. I can not react to innuendo and rumour that I am most definately exluded from the event, I need an official announcement to react on. Do you have any idea how much it costs to get a boat prepared for an event like this, or how much time and planning goes into it? And with the event about a week away I still dont have an official notification I can not run in it, just an unofficial telephone call saying there were problems, and other V24 drivers phoning to confirm over the weekend that it was all over - we were officially excluded.

You would think that one of the things that would have been nailed down was the communication.Yet this is a failure in this instance, and yes it has made me angry! Because it is so easy to get it right, and more difficult to get it wrong.

And all these hidden meetings and secret emails and hushed telephone calls are what is killing the sport. It is a dirty little hidden society - and shining a nice big spotlight on it is what it needs.

Why can we not get a simple and clear and definative answer: Mr X has refused to allow V24's to race because of Y. Then that is something we can react to - disprove theory Y or remove person X - but no - we dont get that curtesy.
Old 14-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #118

Very tricky your point is
Old 14-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #119
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Very tricky your point is
Nothing.

I think I give up actually.
Old 14-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
OK.

The CTC course will now run into Lyme Bay and up to a mark / gate just off (about 1/2 mile) Lyme Regis, then down to Ore Stone rock and back (again via L-R) The canopied boats (Honey Party, Blastoff etc) will run this course with their canopies fully intact and lids on, as they were intended.

This will of course increase the total mileage somewhat, though I haven't calculated it exactly yet.

More info to follow tomorrow with the RYA statement.

But that's the route we took for RB8 i