Boatmad.com

Old 23-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #2041

I won't bother then.
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/d/5...77_Sealbay.pdf

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #2042

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Thanks for trying anyway Matt.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #2043
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I did that too, right at the start, but then realised Mike meant he wanted it posted as text, which I couldn't extract from the .pdf

www.boatmad.com/rb.write.ups/sealbay.pdf

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #2044
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I did that too, right at the start, but then realised Mike meant he wanted it posted as text, which I couldn't extract from the .pdf
Download (free) Foxit Reader v3. Foxit linky Click on the |T icon and rip out the text in the usual cut and paste way.
Foxit also produce a free pdf editor which can be useful on occasion.
Old 26-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #2045
numbskull

Jeff, actually, my comments about copying text from a .pdf were more assumption than anything else (the mother of all fkk ups). As it seems that my std Adobe 8 reader allows me to highlight & copy text from that .pdf. Ho hum, pretty poor show that I didn't try it before opening my gob.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 26-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #2046

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
I think the way I used to do it with a .pdf was;

select all
ctrl c
and then paste into notepad

With Adobe Professional, I save the.pdf as .txt
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #2047

All true, but Mike asked me to upload it.
Old 26-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #2048

Sorry to have got you guys into a tizzy. Will try to do better in 2009! It's still a bloody good well written story though - JF, in your opinion, would you have beaten Erik if you hadn't had those two "problems"?
Old 26-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #2049
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
- JF, in your opinion, would you have beaten Erik if you hadn't had those two "problems"?
You really can't say.

We lost about 3 hours, and were beaten by 1:54, so on paper, yes, but had they been under more pressure from us (had we not had the failures, and thus been more in contention) they may have had some in reserve, turned the wick up and gone quicker, who knows. Also, had they gone quicker, they may have been pushed to breaking point and been out all together.
All I do know is, that with our limited top speed, we were at 'maximum' for every minute we were running, so other than the 2 periods of reduced speed due to problems, we couldn't have stessed our kit any more than we did.

At the end of the day, they were first, we were second, that was the result. The reasons it turned out that way are what makes makes it racing.

With it being such a calm race, we were lucky to be second really. Jamie & John should have been way ahead of us in those conditions, but they had even more trouble than us. The cookie crumbled, and favoured the reliable.

Old 26-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #2050

Boat make: Revenger 25
Engines: yanmar 315
Cruising area: Exe

Was a shame for Jamie and John it really was their water, if they hadn't picked up the grot in their fuel at Bangor things might of been different. Like Jon says that's how the cookie crumbles! There is all ways next time!!
Old 27-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #2051

Yeh! Anyway, it looks better as published rather than cut & pasted, so is now in the media site for posterity.

We don't have many pics of the race, or reports from other teams on the media site - I think it would be good to create an RB section of the media site. I know Jon was speaking to Chris at some point, and we had agreed the site could handle it, but mebbe Chris decided to do his own thing instead.

M

Quote:
Sorry to have got you guys into a tizzy. Will try to do better in 2009! It's still a bloody good well written story though - JF, in your opinion, would you have beaten Erik if you hadn't had those two "problems"?
Old 27-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeh! Anyway, it looks better as published rather than cut & pasted, so is now in the media site for posterity.

We don't have many pics of the race, or reports from other teams on the media site - I think it would be good to create an RB section of the media site. I know Jon was speaking to Chris at some point, and we had agreed the site could handle it, but mebbe Chris decided to do his own thing instead.

M
As I can't keep the RB08 web site going for ever I think your idea Matt is an excellent one. It is time to go your route so if you want to help yourself to all the Race Teams reports please take them from the RB08 site and build a special section in the gallery for RB08. Perhaps liasing with Ciao might be a good idea.

JF should talk again to Chris to get all of his pics onto your gallery in the original format so that the rest of Boatmad can see what went on. I understand that Chris took some 3,000 pics from the race helicopter and these should now be avaialble for everyone to see and buy if they wish. It is an opportunity not to be missed as 6 months as already gone by.

On another note, it sounds as though RB2012 is firming up and if I can find any other news I will post. It would appear that "they" intend taking the route ALL ROUND SCOTLAND. Heaven help us!!
ML.
Old 27-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #2053
numbskull

I personally think it'll be a real shame to change the traditional course.

People always want to fix things that aren't actually broken!

Old 27-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I personally think it'll be a real shame to change the traditional course.

People always want to fix things that aren't actually broken!
Agreed
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #2055
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

Quote:
... It would appear that "they" intend taking the route ALL ROUND SCOTLAND. Heaven help us!!
ML.
Cool. Despite it being a bit more remote, I think you might enjoy it. There's a fair bit of sheltered water...kinda like the run up to Fort William...up the sound of Mull (Tobermory fuel), back into the ocean for a wee while then up the Sound of Sleat between Skye and the mainland (Mallaig fuel) then through the narrows and up to Kyle of Lochalsh (fuel) in a sea loch then more sheltered water along the east edge of Skye and out into the Minch, SW following sea or sheltered from the west by the Outer Hebrides..... all this in dramatic scenery....gotta be more pleasant than plodding north up the Irish Sea!... Diesel fuel at Kinlochbervie (till a couple of years ago, a main fishing harbour and the locals must get their petrol somewhere close) then the exposed bit around the top corner but I don't imagine it is any worse than the very SW of England. Dependent on the wind direction, SW to W being typical, the run along the north coast could be nice and sheltered staying close to land. Fuel at Scrabster. Then the Pentland Firth, could be tricky, maybe need to be tide dependent. Southwards down the coast or a big open sea crossing...say no more. From there downwards you've already done so no surprises.

Think positive. All Around Britian 2012.
Old 27-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw. View Post
Cool. Despite it being a bit more remote, I think you might enjoy it. There's a fair bit of sheltered water...kinda like the run up to Fort William...up the sound of Mull (Tobermory fuel), back into the ocean for a wee while then up the Sound of Sleat between Skye and the mainland (Mallaig fuel) then through the narrows and up to Kyle of Lochalsh (fuel) in a sea loch then more sheltered water along the east edge of Skye and out into the Minch, SW following sea or sheltered from the west by the Outer Hebrides..... all this in dramatic scenery....gotta be more pleasant than plodding north up the Irish Sea!... Diesel fuel at Kinlochbervie (till a couple of years ago, a main fishing harbour and the locals must get their petrol somewhere close) then the exposed bit around the top corner but I don't imagine it is any worse than the very SW of England. Dependent on the wind direction, SW to W being typical, the run along the north coast could be nice and sheltered staying close to land. Fuel at Scrabster. Then the Pentland Firth, could be tricky, maybe need to be tide dependent. Southwards down the coast or a big open sea crossing...say no more. From there downwards you've already done so no surprises.

Think positive. All Around Britian 2012.
You make it sound very interesting but there are a whole host of problems to anyone trying this route one of which is the logistics of fuel and cranes. Knowing what I know now they will need four fuel pumps (with clean fuel), and two cranes the latter having to stay for 24 hours and if its Scrabster then that is going to be VERY expensive for the organisers plus of course they will need sufficient space for 40 + boats overnight, dry pits, accommodation for EVERYONE and food etc etc. Then of course where do they re-fuel after that. There will be a new Marina at Inverness by then but as we know the trip into Inverness and back out again (10 miles each way off the plane) with the Greens will be a HUGE nightmare by 2012. The RYA have just received a pack some two inches thick from the Scottish Heritage complaining about us and the race even though we did not cause a single problem and there were no recorded instances of “hits” on any mammals so I think the Greens are going to cause the organisers one hell of a nightmare in 2012.

This year was bad enough but they only twigged us two months before the race started and then all hell broke loose with ALL of them calling us environmental hooligans and wanting the race stopped. The pressure from them became ridiculous with quite threatening language and possible protests, fortunately for us the RYA took over the correspondence and saved the day by agreeing exclusion zones. As if dolphins and porpoises are going to stick to exclusion zones, nearly everyone spotted them (dolphins that is) all across the Irish Sea and some coming down the East Coast.

The problems facing the organisers for the RB in 2012 will be considerably greater than we faced and I wish them the very best of luck for purely selfish reasons, just as long as they do get it up and going so that I can take part this time.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2057

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
Tim
sorry to disappoint you but the SOUTER GEE is alive and well, it was moored in the RYS harbour during the P1 weekend last August the cabin has been modified to give more headroom and space below but it sure was her! as a matter of interest it was the Aluminium GEE that sank at moorings in GIB have just been corrosponding with Christian Sheppard at WATERPORT Gib about this but what no one is sure is whether she was recovered.
It also transpires that Miss EMBASSY (GAS TURBINE) MAY BE IN STORAGE INSIDE THE ROCK! we are in contact with the authorities there to confirm this info.

Mike
hi all just to say that the aluminium gee did sink in gib a few years ago and is still there .miss embassy along with uno pobjoy mint were stored inside the rock but sadly were destroyed for scrap .i know about these boats because my stepfather had miss embassy and gee and my uncle had pobjoy mint.
such a pity i only had the pleasure of rideing on gee later named smart witch i drove from gib to estepona and back awesome out on open sea. ihad a couple of pics will post them when i find them.
Phantom666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #2058
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom666 View Post
hi all just to say that the aluminium gee did sink in gib a few years ago and is still there .miss embassy along with uno pobjoy mint were stored inside the rock but sadly were destroyed for scrap
Oh dear, I suspect there will be some tears at that news.

Thanks for posting. (And welcome to Boatmad)

Old 22-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #2059

the old gee

Hey guys,

This is the only pic i could find of the gee. I will try to post more if i can find them!

R.I.P!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0438.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	23084  
Old 16-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #2060

another pic

Image117. hey guys just found another pic of the aluminium gee taking forever to find the rest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image117.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	23479