Boatmad.com

Old 28-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #341

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

At Maximum Entry!

At this point in time on the 28th March 2007 we are at maximum entry!! We have hit the limit of 55 boats today who have put their money down. After today anyone wanting to take part in the 2008 Round Britain Powerboat Race will have to go on a RESERVE listing and as some people drop out, and there will be people who will drop out, people on the reserve list will take their place in date order.
Quite amazing really and we still have over a year to go. The sorry side is that a few well know powerboat personalities haven't bothered to enter!!

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #342

Interests: Boats Cars women and wine
Boat name: The Bandit & The Bandit1
Boat make: Revenger San Marino & Hunton Rib
Engines: For sale Twin 225 Opti's
Cruising area: The Solent

There loss.
New web site is looking very good. Keep the info coming no matter how small it may be.
The P1 web site is great because it keeps on updating info. Also need the forum to work as i'm sure the likes of us novices can and need to learn so much.
lastly got me i on a suitable boat, However don't want to commit untill confirmation of race.
Whats a 1 with 6 noughts on the end anyway.

the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #343
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
I suppose that depends if you're talking Turkish Lira, or GB-£ !

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #344

Round Britain

Quote:
There loss.
New web site is looking very good. Keep the info coming no matter how small it may be.
The P1 web site is great because it keeps on updating info. Also need the forum to work as i'm sure the likes of us novices can and need to learn so much.
lastly got me i on a suitable boat, However don't want to commit untill confirmation of race.
Round Britain updated news can be accessed using RSS

http://www.derwentmarine.net/rb/feed.xml

Forum should work all ok now ... but is set up for the purpose of RB competitors but not for general chit chat, we can't afford the bandwidth!
ciao1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #345

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

Round Britain rule change

How many times will the rules change as I see my Sunseeker XS can no longer race in RB3. This would have been a great class to be in, two ex round Britain record holders with the Scorpion having the faster time. Both claim to do 65 knots. Are they to scared to race a XS or any boat that might beat them. How about they have their own class, then they will win IF they finish.
Now I am up against much faster boats in RB2, or I will put two small block engines 450-500hp each total weight saving 600kg top speed 70-75 knots. Yes, I can do this until you change the rules again.
Let me know when they are set in stone, then I will get a boat to fit the rules NOT get the rules changed to fit my boat.
2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #346
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-XS-IF View Post
How many times will the rules change as I see my Sunseeker XS can no longer race in RB3. This would have been a great class to be in, two ex round Britain record holders with the Scorpion having the faster time. Both claim to do 65 knots. Are they to scared to race a XS or any boat that might beat them. How about they have their own class, then they will win IF they finish.
Now I am up against much faster boats in RB2, or I will put two small block engines 450-500hp each total weight saving 600kg top speed 70-75 knots. Yes, I can do this until you change the rules again.
Let me no when they are set in stone, then I will get a boat to fit the rules NOT get the rules changed to fit my boat.

Hear Hear!
Old 31-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #347
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Hear Hear!
Taz, you can't keep complaining about the rules, without explaining exactly why you think you've been shortchanged!

Why don't you post here exactly what you think has changed to mess up your chances?

FYI, I think Nicks gripe (XS-IF) is justified, but I really can't see what you're moaning about.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 31-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #348

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Let me no when they are set in stone, then I will get a boat to fit the rules NOT get the rules changed to fit my boat.
I have to stand up and take the flack on this one Nick. I am not wimping out but this decision was not made alone and was discussed with another colleague at some length, I have to say he was also reluctant to change the rule but we have done so and that's it. If we have made only ONE competitor unhappy then we ought to thank our lucky stars even though it is you Nick.

I hate the thought of any competitor having to spend money unnecessarily but it's done now. What no one else knew was that there was a distinct probability that someone, who had seen this hole, and there was this huge hole in the rules, could take advantage of it in a BIG way and exploit it and everyone in RB3 would have suffered and the situation would have got quite serious. If you have a hard look at the diesel cc for that class then some really big diesel engines could have been exploited.

Although I have heard from the RYA verbally that these class rules are OK I cannot and will not say right now that they are cast in stone until I have it in writitng from them which will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday next week. As soon as that is in my hand I will come back on this forum and make that statement that there will be no more rule changes in the class structure, they are cast in stone and that has to be it. No more discusions and they will be printed and distributed to all competitors.

You will all have to allow me to draw a line under this so that we can get on with getting the race up and going, after all there ain't going to be a race if we don't get that elusive sponsor and that simply has to be the main priority and "challenge" now. Everthing else is in place.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #349
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I hate the thought of any competitor having to spend money unnecessarily but it's done now.
ML.
I really feel that comment sounds too 'throw away' to be used when talking about a change of rules, made in just a few minutes to 'please someone', that could cost someone else 50 thousand pounds in hard earned money! We are not talking about a couple of grand here!

Sorry Mike, but I think it's really quite serious, and not just a case for 'oh well, never mind'.

Also, which 'big' diesels are you thinking of that could 'exploit' the RB3 rules as they were? Sub 6.5 litre obviously.

Old 31-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #350

The odd one out look at RB3 the only class which does not have the same cc for diesel as petrol but, at least the Hot Lemon (Scorpion RIB) got what they want, I'm now out of this class, by 300cc per engine.

http://www.derwentmarine.net/rb/classes.htm
Old 31-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #351
numbskull

Taz, why are you ignoring this request? If you can't answer, don't moan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Taz, you can't keep complaining about the rules, without explaining exactly why you think you've been shortchanged!

Why don't you post here exactly what you think has changed to mess up your chances?

FYI, I think Nicks gripe (XS-IF) is justified, but I really can't see what you're moaning about.

Old 31-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #352

From what i saw at Cowes a Sunseeker XS will piss a 10 meter rib.in the rough.
First i have never raced but i wish to do this event, with all the combinations of boat hull design and length coupled with engines you would end up with about 20 classes.
The organisers cannot satisfy everyone. Thats life.
Also the race details at the begining were only a proposal as i read them and as of yet the race is still not set in stone.
Carry on the good work mike and all your team.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #353
numbskull

Quote:
From what i saw at Cowes a Sunseeker XS will piss a 10 meter rib.in the rough.
First i have never raced but i wish to do this event, with all the combinations of boat hull design and length coupled with engines you would end up with about 20 classes.
The organisers cannot satisfy everyone. Thats life.
Also the race details at the begining were only a proposal as i read them and as of yet the race is still not set in stone.
Carry on the good work mike and all your team.

The 'team' you speak of, was made up of 4 people, I was one of the 4.

You're correct, the organisers cannot satisfy everyone.

But, the rules that were decided on by the team, (we're talking just about RB3 at this point) were laid out, and basically meant that a maximum of about 450hp per side was obtainable in this class, beit petrol, or diesel, though of course, if you chose the diesel option, there was a hefty weight penalty, as these (Yanmar 440's) weigh getting on for 700 kilos, where as the small block petrol equivalent can weigh as little as 300 kilos.

As this is a class for boats of 27 feet and above, this was an amount of power that some thought a little restrictive, but the decision was to set the rules in such a way, as to air on the side of safety.

The way the rules have now been changed, means that if you're a diesel entry, you can only have 315hp Yanmars, or 350 hp Volvos, these Volvos are as heavy as the Yanmar 440. But, you can still have 450hp aluminium small blocks! I think it's Irish! It also means for example, my pleasure Phantom 28, is deemed to fit RB2, along with all the 36 cigarettes etc, with twin 500hp+ big blocks, rather than RB3, that is ridiculous!

Going back to your point about not pleasing everyone, you're indeed correct, and if you own a Scorpion 10 metre rib with 315 Yanmars, your boat didn't make the best of the rules, and as you say, 'That's Life'. Or at least it should have been.

On another note, the Sunseeker did indeed run very well in the rough at Cowes, in the capable hands of Gavin Brown on throttles. But the very Scorpion rib in question (Mike Deacons 'Hot Lemon', was built specifically to attempt the outright round Britain record for craft under 10 metres, and was successful in acheiving this title with a very creditable time, including beating the Racing version of the Sunseeker XS2000, and many others, so you may not be right on that point. At least not in practice. But then the other scorpion 10 metre cabin boats are unlikely to beat 'Hot Lemon' as it's a special, stepped and heavily modified boat. Should this mean he should be thrown out also, so that another less able boat can do well? Of course not.

My argument is, that Mr Deacon should have adapted his boat to fit the existing rules to his maximum advantage (fitting petrols if neccessary) just like everyone else, rather than nag the organisers into changing the already quite 'firm' rules agreed by a technical working group. and causing another confirmed entry to do just that.

It's noteworthy, that John Puddifoot also intends entering a 10 metre Scorpion with 315 Yanmars. ....go figure!

My opinion is, that the only way to please these people fairly, was to introduce another class, and not mess with the existing class's, but everyone on the tech team agreed that it was better to keep the number of class's to a minimum. As you say, that's life.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
my pleasure Phantom 28, is deemed to fit RB2, along with all the 36 cigarettes etc, with twin 500hp+ big blocks, rather than RB3, that is ridiculous!
Your pleasure Phantom is not 33ft minimun, it will now not fit any class!!!
You have been written out by the new rule.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #355
numbskull

Quote:
Your pleasure Phantom is not 33ft minimun, it will now not fit any class!!!
You have been written out by the new rule.

RB3 is a minimum of 27 feet

EDIT> Hang on, I see what you mean!

perfik! and shows my point exactly.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #356

I guess that the RB record must very much depend on the sea conditions. as well as boat.

I would hope that classes have not been decided by a panel of people who own certain types of boat. However that makes it more of a challenge to go out and beat them.

I have been a bit confused by the minimum lengths as it seems correct that some boats with certain engine configs are not eligable for any classes.

We have our eye on a boat and the engine set up at present doesn't confirm.

Look at it this way. In all the racing i've watched from cars to trucks to bikes and boats the guys with the big budgets generally win. The Paris Dakar is a good example.

Having said all that this race is unique. Its the taking part that counts.
hopefully we can spank some of the big boys along the way
Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #357

Quote:
Its the taking part that counts.
hopefully we can spank some of the big boys along the way
Exactly, id love to be in the event for the sake of the "Once in a lifetime" experience, fabulous scenery, the Crack and the parties every night.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #358
numbskull

Quote:
I would hope that classes have not been decided by a panel of people who own certain types of boat.
No one on the panel is racing, so hopefully no 'vested interests'.

Interference from competitors causes trouble dont ya know!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #359
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

My boat fits ( hopefully ) into RB4:

6.5 litre V8 petrol
30 foot length
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #360
hello

If me and Burty join our boats together with plank of wood and some sticky back plastic will we be eligible for RBtwat class?

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote