Boatmad.com

Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #1001

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
61' MAX in cruiser class 1 FOR L/MC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have to think about the cranes already booked at all the venues. Lifting anything over 50ft and weighing goodness knows what would increase our costs and our budget because we would have to get bigger cranes, Don't want to do that.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post

?55 ft max length to include the Portofino and the two Predators?
( no minimum length in this class? )
No hope whatsoever of Sunseeker putting in a boat. Already been there and told to take a hike! Same seems to apply for most other British boat
manufacturers of the Leisure Motor Cruiser Type and also some of the RIB manufacturers. They will all sell you a boat to take part but to take part themselves to prove their boats, totally out of the question.
My feelings on this are well known anyway as we have discussed this on other threads on Boatmad.
ML.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #1003

Interests: Anything with an engine
Boat make: Buzzi 40ft Rib
Engines: Seatek 10.3 Turbo Diesel
Cruising area: South Coast

I always thought that the three and four engine boats were taken out of the classes in order to make a slightly more level playing field and take a bit of wind out of the sails you your Buzzis/ Bohincs/ Sciolis who have unlimited resources and turn up in 3 or 4 engined boats knowing they can still get home at race speed on 2 engines if one of them goes down. With many big 2 engined boats if you lose an engine its game over as you wont get on the plane in most cases or have your speed reduced a fair bit even if you can plane and you have to limp home which makes the game a bit harder and more emphasis on making the engines reliable and last the course. In essence it allows the big boys to run with a spare engine on board which is kind of an unfair advantage but then I am biased as we are a poor team and only have a two engined boat!
tecno_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecno_40 View Post
I always thought that the three and four engine boats were taken out of the classes in order to make a slightly more level playing field and take a bit of wind out of the sails you your Buzzis/ Bohincs/ Sciolis who have unlimited resources and turn up in 3 or 4 engined boats knowing they can still get home at race speed on 2 engines if one of them goes down. With many big 2 engined boats if you lose an engine its game over as you wont get on the plane in most cases or have your speed reduced a fair bit even if you can plane and you have to limp home which makes the game a bit harder and more emphasis on making the engines reliable and last the course. In essence it allows the big boys to run with a spare engine on board which is kind of an unfair advantage but then I am biased as we are a poor team and only have a two engined boat!

Thats life.... More the merrier oh and we aint rich either
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #1005

Round Britain 1969

Does anyone have a link to the results for the 1969 Round Britain?

I'm particualry interested in 'Western Credit'
Jere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #1006

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Keith the card Horseman in western credit retired on leg 6 Inverness to Dundee. He was lying 15th overall at the time!!!!!!

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #1007
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
No hope whatsoever of Sunseeker putting in a boat.
Yes - this was discussed, but some people actually own Sunseekers.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #1008
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
We have to think about the cranes already booked at all the venues. Lifting anything over 50ft and weighing goodness knows what would increase our costs and our budget because we would have to get bigger cranes, Don't want to do that.
Then don't offer craneage for anything over 50ft, but still let them enter if they are willing to accept your terms.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #1009

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
No hope whatsoever of Sunseeker putting in a boat. Already been there and told to take a hike! Same seems to apply for most other British boat
manufacturers of the Leisure Motor Cruiser Type and also some of the RIB manufacturers. They will all sell you a boat to take part but to take part themselves to prove their boats, totally out of the question.
My feelings on this are well known anyway as we have discussed this on other threads on Boatmad.
ML.
Hence the reason I was so against making any mention of the name in this post June 06 ...http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....highlight=cfun

I think I have made a few other comments besides that one, as I say they employ a lot of people in Poole which is great can't knock them for that
but I believe if you think the power behind the brand are interested in little racy (under 50') boats you are very mistaken, they are really a....It's not derogatory but guess for yourself
Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #1010

I actually find not only amazing concidering they used to race class 111 in the late '60's with a modicum of sucsess, but also a betrayl to boating in the UK, and the rumours around the industry is they and another 2 big producers of plastic boats are "looking" at moving to China to build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #1011

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
but also a betrayl to boating in the UK
That's how I feel so I will not mention their name in relation to Powerboat racing and when I see their boats trying to attaché themselves in any way I feel disgusted...lets not talk about them anymore end of story
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #1012

The brothers always were better than the rest !!!............I think the expretion goes "up their own *****) and now apart from bulman (who gives them pages of publicity in his columns) they aknowledge no one

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Then don't offer craneage for anything over 50ft, but still let them enter if they are willing to accept your terms.
Scenario: 55ft Race Boat coming in fitted with three engines still with quarter full fuel tanks and and a hell of a lot of water sloshing about down below which the bilge pumps can't clear, radioing ahead saying they have a split hull and staying on the plane to stay afloat and need taking out of the water PDQ when they arrive in ten minutes. There is no Hoist only a 35 Ton crane capable of lifting up to 10 ton in total and there is nowhere else for them to go. What would you do? Just a theoretical question.
ML.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #1014

Strop son support boat in water and fire brigade pump out as the water level drops so crane can raise boat inch by inch until empty then lift on to shore............................. EASY peezzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #1015

P.S. If they are in that situation chances are they will have beached or pulled into an earlier harbour......................sorry Mike not trying to be a smart arse............

Old 13-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #1016
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
What would you do?
Pass the message to their support crew to deal with. It would be their responibility, not yours.

Subject to availability I might offer to hold the boat in slings for a while until they work out a solution, but as part of their planning they would need to have contingency plans of their own. If you want to open up entry to boats that are too big for your facilities to cope with, this would have to be the deal. Alternatively you could charge a much higher entry fee, and provide the bigger boats with the same servce level as the rest of the fleet (but you would need to have several confirmed big boat entries to make this viable so why take the risk?).

You are organising an epic event, that people want to enter. You can choose what you offer. They can choose whether or not to accept your terms.

John
Old 13-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #1017
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
You are organising an epic event, that people want to enter. You can choose what you offer. They can choose whether or not to accept your terms.
This is completely true!

However, for who ever is organising the next 'big event' - Please get some advice from more than one section of the boating world. Several of the limitations placed on the event were on the basis of flawed information. Oldman took advice in good faith, and acted on it, but this brought up many smaller issues that eliminated some entries entirely. It is possibly too late to change for RB08 now - unless there are not enough entries - but for future events there needs to be a class that 'other' boats can fit into.

By all means have the RYA approved classes, but leave the dooor open. X-Class would be a great way forward. X-Class can have their own addendum to the rules - Entering into X-Class you acknowledge that you are 'out of the norm' and have different rules applied ( such as no crane liftout etc )
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #1018

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
I guess the rules for classes in the RB08 were pretty tough to write, unlike 1984 where they used standard UIM classifications i.e. Class 1, 2, 3D and Cruisers.
Probably because the sport is now "so fragmented", doesn't race "Offshore Courses", the original rule writers had to start from scratch.
Future "Big Offshore Events" can only learn and improve on the class structure made by RB08.
The question is, who has got the "Cojones" to run one next and get it right?
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #1019

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
I guess the rules for classes in the RB08 were pretty tough to write, unlike 1984 where they used standard UIM classifications i.e. Class 1, 2, 3D and Cruisers.
Probably because the sport is now "so fragmented", doesn't race "Offshore Courses", the original rule writers had to start from scratch.
Future "Big Offshore Events" can only learn and improve on the class structure made by RB08.
The question is, who has got the "Cojones" to run one next and get it right?
HORBA is attempting to do that in June of this year also.

The Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race will run on June 20th from Sunny Isles Beach (North Miami) to Bimini and back with a dog leg to make it 100 miles long.

Real open ocean racing frnally returns to the USA.

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

While much of this effort remains a work in progress we are pushing forward..

This first event is set to take place on Friday the 20th of June, proceeding the OSS Sunny Isle Race.

Non-Stop from Haulover Inlet to Bimini and back, the course will be set up for a 100 mile roundtrip run. The raceboat classes are listed below. This is open to all boat which meet the minimum safety requirements. With the addition of safety equipment most recreational performance boats will be able to enter this race.

This event will be linked to a charity and donations made in the name of Don Aronow.

A separate fund is being established to raise money to commission a statue of Don Aronow to be placed looking over haulover inlet. While much work remains we are looking forward to a spectacular first event and making plans for follow on events as well

Special thanks go out to the hard work and support of Charlie McCarthy, Larry Goldman, and Ron Polli for kick starting this effort and commiting to see it through.

Registration forms and the HORBA Open Ocean Racing LLC rule book will be available soon.

Please e-mail your intent to participate to BCSCHOE@msn.com Race packages and entry requirements will be released soon.

Boats shall be a minimum length 20’, maximum length 55’

Race boat Classes

DESIGINATION

Historic Class Open Max combined c.i. of more than 1000.
Historic Class Production Modified and sport Max. c.i. not to exceed 910 cu in.

Modern Class Single Engine Max 550 Cubic Inches
Modern Class Twin Engine Max combined c.i.
not to exceed 1200.
Modern Class Unlimited “Run what you brung!”.

Historic is 25 years old year to date of the race event calendar year.

Modern is everything newer

Modern GPS/Satellite Navigation systems and modern electronics with the exception of communications equipment is prohibited from being allowed on Historic.
Historic boats must be campaigned in the true spirit of the original configuration of the time.
Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #1020

[QUOTE=verytricky;128552]This is completely true!

However, for who ever is organising the next 'big event' - Please get some advice from more than one section of the boating world. Several of the limitations placed on the event were on the basis of flawed information. Oldman took advice in good faith, and acted on it, but this brought up many smaller issues that eliminated some entries entirely. It is possibly too late to change for RB08 now - unless there are not enough entries - but for future events there needs to be a class that 'other' boats can fit into.

QUOTE]

We do have 47 firm entries and firmly believe that 50 will cross the start line. If that does happen we will all be very pleased indeed after all this hard work. That will be the biggest offshore fleet in this country for many a long day unless you start counting the Honda fleet of course.

I said it last Saturday and will say it again. The RB08 belongs to those taking part - the competitors. They have paid through the nose to take part and it's their race. I am sure they will enjoy every minute.
ML.