Boatmad.com

Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #21

It is clear that this is not a boat race... it is an 'event'

If you can get your head around that then the fee's do make sense

If we just want a boat race then it would be more cost effective to do something closer to RB08, like I say it is a tricky one

Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
Spoke with the RB12 Event organisers today to get a number of things clarified.
Stuart was very helpful,open & honest.

1) This is going to be a hell of an event, they have entries flooding in & it is overscribed!! There are plans for real 'value for money' which Lynx explained was missing from RB08, At the large city venues they are planning to have some concerts at others firework displays/air displays

2) The fee's for the sea event are not going to be capped, Stuart explained that the event is being ran for profit and if you can't afford it then this is not the event for you..... before everybody kicks off.... this openess is refreshing...I/we in the larger boats can now make our decision to enter based on fact. I personally believe that the decision is a tough one.... Do I pay £34,000 entry fee to enter my boat for a once in a lifetime experience... it's very tempting until I think about what else I could buy with that money...Lol

3) Lynx explained that they will only pull in to 1 or 2 marina's due to the sheer scale of the event, most overnight stops will be on floating pontoons laid along the coast

4) Some teams have already entered a joint car & boat teams

5) Lynx are proactively chasing the 'Middle East' market

6) The final fee's and what they will include will be announced March/April next year although it is expected that competiors will still be booking & paying for their own food/accomodation as this would be too big a task for Lynx to handle

Today I have had a lot of conversations with a lot of racers, I hope this information goes a little way in to a helping you to dicide whether to enter.
So what was the general feeling from lots of racers.

My views are

They want profit so what happens if they struggle to achieve this
Not going into marinas worries me.
Can't see many british boats entering at those costs
Not impressed at the moment

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #23

[QUOTE=hunton69;170922]So what was the general feeling from lots of racers.

General concensus was that they would like to see an RB11, ran in June/July 2011.. along the same lines as RB08 going to the same marina's as before with the same route through the Caledonian Canal. Ran by the racers for the racers costing no more than £10/hp and less if possible capped at £12,500 max.

At one point today 1 RB08 racer even said he would arrange it if there was demand....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #24

Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

this sounds a bit more like a gumball rally than a proper powerboat race, not neccesarily a bad thing in itself, cant wait to see the logistics of floating pontoons, are they at least going to be in harbours?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #25

That's all I know at the moment.. in fairness to the organisers I would imagine that they are only just putting their plans together. I'm sure that the website will have the info as soon as they have it firmed up to share.... early days yet

rb12.com
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #26
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

rb12

most of the people i know are more interested in a bloody good race more than fireworks and looking large
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #27
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind dog View Post
most of the people i know are more interested in a bloody good race more than fireworks and looking large
Even 'Team MWA'?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
The Doc

I was waiting for it
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #29

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Being an OAP the RB12 is far too rich for me.

However, if Dean and co wants to put on a RB11 on the old traditional course at the old costs (or less) then I am up for that one, count me in!!

You are welcome to use all my stuff and contacts from the RB08 Dean which would save you literally months of work.

A Race run by the Racers for the Racers sounds good to me, as long as a Newcastle style Barbie is organised this time at each Port! Can't wait....
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #30

Interests: Boats/Cranes
Boat make: Revenger 29 RIB
Engines: Illmor V10/625hp.

Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon McMath
I still have the phone numbers and could call all the crane suppliers that i used last time.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #31
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
That's all I know at the moment.. in fairness to the organisers I would imagine that they are only just putting their plans together. I'm sure that the website will have the info as soon as they have it firmed up to share.... early days yet

rb12.com
This is what worries me - and they want us to commit!

No course and sketchy classes and now we they say they aren't using marinas, so no infrastructure there either? I am too scared to work out how much it will be for our boat!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #32

I believe there is defiantely demand for two events, one an out and out race, and one more rally like with entertainment, parties, razz mataz and I would be up for both events - as long as they are in different years !

Maybe Lynx or Neil will confirm if RB12 is going to be either a race or a rally.
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #33

As the people who race only do it for their own pleasure and not for the benefit of spectators, i think this event should be organised by a not for profit committee of volunteers. This would enable true fans to get involved with the action, keep the costs to a minimum and ensure the continued future of this amazing event.

The only "fly in the ointment" could be obtaining reliable volunteers to see it through!
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #34

2) The fee's for the sea event are not going to be capped, Stuart explained that the event is being ran for profit and if you can't afford it then this is not the event for you..... before everybody kicks off.... this openess is refreshing...I/we in the larger boats can now make our decision to enter based on fact. I personally believe that the decision is a tough one.... Do I pay £34,000 entry fee to enter my boat for a once in a lifetime experience... it's very tempting until I think about what else I could buy with that money...Lol

By my reckoning that means you have considerable more than 2000 hp - looking forward to seeing the new beast when it arrives next year.
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #35

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

rb08 was a great success so why mess with it,if it aint broke and all that
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #36

I would have assumed that the majority of RB12 entrants would have come from the RB08 fleet in which case it doesn't look too hopeful given, the excellent news in my view, of RB11 being run.

Also I struggle to equate "There are plans for real 'value for money' which Lynx explained was missing from RB08" with "Stuart explained that the event is being ran for profit". Right load of marketing bo**ocks in my view.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wildey View Post
I would have assumed that the majority of RB12 entrants would have come from the RB08 fleet in which case it doesn't look too hopeful given, the excellent news in my view, of RB11 being run.

Also I struggle to equate "There are plans for real 'value for money' which Lynx explained was missing from RB08" with "Stuart explained that the event is being ran for profit". Right load of marketing bo**ocks in my view.
It appears that the organisers of RB12 believe that they are over subscribed. As the entry fee is 40% more than RB8 and the minimum entry fee is £9000 i'd be very surprised.
I can only imagine they have found a new international fleet of marathon boats.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #38

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

just reading the website, so they've got 75 boats to organise plus any safety boats. also now 50 aircraft to land and taxi oh and for good measure 100 cars to pack, some serious logistics to organise there. fair play if they pull it off but have they not heard of keeping things simple?
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #39

I,ve heard from 2 sources now that RB11 & RB12 had a meeting at RYA headquaters where Lynx offered to help run RB11 but they would want paying for it... then laughed. Sounds like a nice guy....

What are they on?

They also said that they would reduce the race fee's & set a 'cap'........three weeks later ....... nothing.... as usual
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #40

The meeting was very constructive. I don't see the point in getting in to a shouting match between the 2 races. There is room for both races.

See you all this Saturday.

Dean