Boatmad.com

Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Round Ireland Race Update

A small but successful meeting was held in Portsmouth on Saturday to discuss the up coming Around Ireland Race.

Lots of stuff was discussed and some progress was made. We confirmed that the race was confirmed and that funding for both the shore side festival and the Offshore event, the Superstock event, and lots more activities in Galway is now in place.

We gladly confirmed and accepted the support and experience of Richard Salaman as Safety Officer, Rob Andrews as OOD, Gill Purnell as Race Control, and Julie Jackson also on Safety.

We can confirm Race instructions and the course including exclusion zones are being finalised and will be with you all by the 19th electronically.
Exclusion zones do exist but are not of the same magnitude as RB08 and have very little effect on the overall leg distance and fuel being consumed. Overall course length will be about 710nm with an extra 20 miles in and out of Waterford city.

We have confirmed we have 19 definite entries with several other in discussion and yet to be finalised. A realistic approach would be to say that the starting number will be between 25 and 30. I will know more by the weekend.

We have also received a very important suggestion regarding racing boats that would not comply with Marathon rules regarding weight and power ratios. It was discussed and agreed that a simple Open class would be created to allow any non conforming racers to enter but that they would not in anyway be eligible to win if outside Marathon rule specifications. This class would have to comply with all safety and licencing rules and pass scrutiny before they could join in the fun. It was agreed that it would be good to have other boats along for the race and so if anyone wished to take part with the understanding that they are not eligible to win then we are happy to facilitate. Please let me know.

Finally, we have also simplified the costs for all concerned along these lines.
Entry Fees:
Class A & B: €4000
Class C+ and Class C Stock: €3000
Class D, E, & Classic: €2000
Open Class: (If agreed) €3000

Ferries have been discounted in agreement with Irish Ferries and a 50% discount is available. We have agreed that we will grant a rebate from entry fees received to all International Teams to cover the other 50% on Ferry costs only.

Fuel will be calculated in advance by Teams and will be paid in advance directly to the fuel company. The re-fuelling at all locations is being done in line with RB08 using the same fuelling system. Bangor is the exception and re-fuelling here will be via the Marina pumps. If you need extra fuel we are assured this is possible.

There is still a lot of interest coming from all corners of the globe and we look forward to a a great event in Galway. I appreciate time is short and that you al have a lot to consider. Again, I suggest giving me a ring on mobile and I will do my best to sort out anything you may need. +353 87 2534849.

Regards,

Justin.

macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Open Class not a runner

To all,
I have been working with various parties involved in the Around Ireland 2010 and have had a chance to discuss the possibility of running an Open class alongside those boats in compliance with the Marathin Rules.

It sounded like a good natured idea but to be fair to all concerned it would be impossible to make it work. That said, we can confirm that we will NOT be running an open class.

All boats entered must comply with Marathon Rules, in particular with regard to weight and engine displacement as set out in the individual classes.

Regards,

Justin.
macrib is offline   Reply With Quote