Old 20-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #21
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Almost 2 months ago:

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11723

Mike, if indeed the other race in June becomes a reality, someone else will need to pick up Poole-Cherbourg and run with it, whether it runs at the end of May or some alternative time.
When there's as much interest as there seems to be in this proposed event (Poole-Cherbourg) in such a short time, it would be a crime against the sport not to 'make' it happen.

Let's not forget the almost total disinterest in the other existing classes in recent years (Honda & Zaps excluded) So we must keep the momentum when the racers themselves are keen.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #22

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
Mike (Old Man), put forward the Cherbourg race, from Cowes as opposed to Poole.

Why, surely the idea of running the race again would be to try and improve on the existing records, which are for the poole-cherbourg.

Running it from Cowes would only increase the costs for both competitors and officials!

Old 20-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #23

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Not sure about why ML proposes to use Cowes rather than Poole.
BPRC, under whose burgee it would be run is of course based at Cowes, & this would simplify organisation of start/finish facilities, as opposed to hire in some form, of facilities at Poole.
RMYC have their eyes firmly on Needles Trophy in mid-August, so would not think they would be involved in Poole/Cher'g/Poole.
Best to ask ML direct, but I cannot give any clue.
I would think that from Cowes, although its somewhat further, it would still be an attractive run, although whether an actual start off Cowes, or off Hurst would be needed (As in CTC), I know not at present.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #24
/280

Interests: Motorsport

if your re inventing a historic race then shouldn't you leave the location as it was, Cowes to Cherbourg would be a whole new race and wouldn't have any links to the historic one.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #25
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

rti

i think the proper offshore races such as the needles trophy and cowes are a big step in the write direction,single venue so much easier logistically and financally but still having real offshore legs.then a bigger endurance type event when it has enough support from racers ,having said that poole/cher/poole seems popular as its still easyish to do.
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
R B 08 was tough - but we pulled it off.
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
if your re inventing a historic race then shouldn't you leave the location as it was, Cowes to Cherbourg would be a whole new race and wouldn't have any links to the historic one.

Exactly, and here are 3 very good reasons why it needs to be from Poole, taken from this website....
http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/powerbo...RDS%20BOOK.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uim.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	17919   Click image for larger version

Name:	uim2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	17920   Click image for larger version

Name:	uim3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	17921  
Old 20-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #28

It appears that cracking the Poole / Cherbourg in less than 1 hour is Avery exclusive club, one we and i'm sure many on here would like to achieve.

On the return it would be worth having another crack at it after all all speed records are 2 ways

Difference being instead of the hour inbetween we have a day and shed loads of French wine
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #29

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

If that's what you guys want then that's what you will have. Poole Cherbourg Poole it will be over the end of May Bank Holiday and I suggest that we get together with JF and a few others to sort out what type of event this is to run as. The old idea of a timed run for each boat to Cherbourg appeals to me with a "Rally" back as before.

CTC rules will apply for all boats (with some slight modifications).

One way or another we will endeavour to make this event happen so book it in your calenders. Also, it shouldn't be very expensive to organise. It will be extremely good fun and we should have a very good time in France providing they are comfortable with what we want to do. I feel a Cherbourg trip coming on to investigate!!

Anyone wanting to take part in this fun event please let me or JF know soonest as we will have to tell the French how many boats are coming. Fuel and berthing etc comes to mind. More thoughts on all of this later.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #30

For most of us Fuel won't be an issue after all its only 145 miles return.

Put us down for this one
Old 20-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #31
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

FWIW Those that dont have them get your ICC's in early as it's normally a French requirement. (Or clarify)

For the return "rally" hows about having to carry a bottle of bubbly to arrive unbroken very Retro "Cross channel champage run" flashback there.

Edit: think that the last time I see Avenger Too - Ramsgate- hover slip - foggy day race cax.

EDIT Two: This was TBC's RTI's Thread might be worth spliting off so not to detract

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #32
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

I thought the end of May Bank holiday, is when Tim intends to put on the Round the Islands Endurance race starting now at Torquay apparently, where ORDA are staging Nationals.

Now I'm confused.
Old 21-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #33

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

The Facts.

Here are the facts.
In 2007 is made contact with ML when he posted the rules for RB08 as I felt the original rules excluded boats like the "Huntsman" etc.
After that I supported ML as much as I could, and in many e-mails and phone calls to and from france we discussed many things including the running of the L/MC I also floated the idea on here including
09 West Country/France/CI and back
10 Round Ireland (as we thought L/MC so soon after RB would be financially crippling to competitors)
11 Round Scotland
12 L/MC
15 St Petersburg.....
It was also discussed with many at the Earls Court Show.
ML told me after RB08 he was gone never to be seen again or it would mean divorce ! Thank god he did come back and save the C/T/C which I gather was a testement to his organising skills and determination and everyone loved it.
Before the RB08 I had a meeting with John Puddifoot at the RYA in june and put forward officially my plans and hopes to put on the mini Enduro events and the L/MC all posted on here and discussed, I even suspended talk about it so as not to infringe or detract from RB08.
It was agreed then with JP that the last week in may which is half term for the majority would be best time to run and weymouth would not effect any other event so that famillies could join us (people with cruisers who would normally be of cruising with the kids could join in and hopefully encourage a new generation into the sport)
I continued discussing this event with various people from here and other drivers along with JP and last week we officially applied to be on the calender, with a possible venue change to West Bay as lorry access to Weymouth is a nightmare.
The conversations continued over this last week-end with JP after the race had approval but I was asked if I would concider changing the start venue to Torquay to help make it a "festival of powerboating". JP will confirm I didn't hesitate to say yes and that it would be an honour.
I also spoke to another organiser at the Torquay event the week before.
JF has known of my plans for more than a year and have the correspondence including his advice/support and his valid concerns over L/MC including Nick worrying 4/5 weeks away would put people with busieness off the idea......hence including a weeks lay over in Seville to allow people to shoot home and check on things before continuing the run to Monte Carlo.
So to say I never discussed any of this with anyone is false and very offensive.
No wonder no one wants to organise races...........It would be very easy to shout and scream at you lot but I won't lower myself.
Just say good luck to you all and any events organised in the future but I won't be around.
N.B. Certain people should do there own dirty work and remember some of the e-mails they sent to me....................I HAVE THEM ALL !

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #34
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Both Tim and Mike, I am sure that everyone here supports you fully with what you are individually trying to achieve.

The thought strikes me that both events have the ability of hooking up and producing a spectacle of numerous boats. Those that can do the week long event with families as suggested and those that want to go for the record run outwards on the saturday?

All ending up in the same place with a final run back to UK wherever it may be. You never know both of you might need some flexibility with weather!!!

I might be talking total b*ll*x, which wouldn't be a first, but surely you two guys can pick the phone up and discuss the merits of a format that satisfies both of you, but more importantly the most boat owners.

If JP wants a 'festival of powerboating' then give him one!

Oh and forget the enduro v sprint v round the cans bollox all any of us want to do is get out on the water
Old 21-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #35

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Here are the facts.
No wonder no one wants to organise races...........It would be very easy to shout and scream at you lot but I won't lower myself.
Just say good luck to you all and any events organised in the future but I won't be around.
N.B. Certain people should do there own dirty work and remember some of the e-mails they sent to me....................I HAVE THEM ALL !
No need to get all humpy Tim. There's a thing called compromise. How about if we move the Poole Cherbourg Poole race to the 1st weekend in May which is also a Bank Holiday. Does that remove the conflict? It might be a wee bit colder and maybe a little rougher but I am sure the guys will be O.K. about that.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Already have 4 entries !!

Who are they?
Old 21-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #37
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

rti

i surpose the big factor is are there enough boats that will do the round the islands
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
No need to get all humpy Tim. There's a thing called compromise. How about if we move the Poole Cherbourg Poole race to the 1st weekend in May which is also a Bank Holiday. Does that remove the conflict? It might be a wee bit colder and maybe a little rougher but I am sure the guys will be O.K. about that.

That's the way to do it... Compromise compromise

The 2 events appear to be very different 1 is a mad dash and the other endurance i like Motivator's idea of all meeting in Cherbourg and then coming back together etc.

I do however realise some teams may wish to do both so probably best to try and contact all past and future teams there opinion. I'm sure boat forums and past entrants lists may become available

How about a data base of teams, individuals who have or are thinking of taking up this great sport so that they can voice there ideas via email