Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Tony Davis's Avatar
 
Country: Job Centre
Location: In a box
Occupation: Chaos's gofer
Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In a box
Posts: 5,201
RYA Awards

Can someone who was there tell me what the award to Gee is all about? I see on the MBY site that they won it for the "RYA Round Britain spirit of powerboat racing award".

What exactly is the "spirit of powerboat racing"?

The ability to throw a shed load of money on an old tub possibly?
__________________

__________________
Chaos for Moderator.
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,862
Welcome back!
__________________

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
Can someone who was there tell me what the award to Gee is all about? I see on the MBY site that they won it for the "RYA Round Britain spirit of powerboat racing award".

What exactly is the "spirit of powerboat racing"?

The ability to throw a shed load of money on an old tub possibly?
Because they were a happy friendly team.

We gate crashed the event Saturday as ( thought it was invitation only for those that had won something this year obviously RB8 race wasn't much of an event ) and ended up sitting at there table. They were only asked to go a week before so as to make up the numbers.

coming back to your question one of there crew went into the sea and untangled a prop and i believe they also spent many hours repairing one of there competitor boats.

Jolly nice chaps.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Tony Davis's Avatar
 
Country: Job Centre
Location: In a box
Occupation: Chaos's gofer
Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In a box
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Because they were a happy friendly team.
They may well have been, but I just feel there's some big PR machine involved with them.

Surely, for true spirit of powerboat racing, someone like the Cinzano team shoulda won, coz they certainly didn't stop trying.
__________________
Chaos for Moderator.
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,862
How many miles did cinzano do on the trailer? A huge amount, IIRC.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
They may well have been, but I just feel there's some big PR machine involved with them.

Surely, for true spirit of powerboat racing, someone like the Cinzano team shoulda won, coz they certainly didn't stop trying.
I think Brenni should of won the Brave heart team filled her full of scotch in Inverness
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Registered User
 
S1DEY's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: At Home
Occupation: Boat Stuff
Interests: Boating, Shooting,Fishing
Boat name: Oklahoma / Project Racing Team
Boat make: Aqua Star 33 - a tug!
Engines: Perkins Sabre 300
Cruising area: Round Britain

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: At Home
Posts: 126
or wat about some small rib builder that did win in every class
oh sorry there not built hear or from Italy
__________________
www.goldfishboat.com
S1DEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Location: Bournemouth

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 391
[QUOTE=Tony Davis;149560]They may well have been, but I just feel there's some big PR machine involved with them. QUOTE] --( seem to have cocked up the quoting thing )

That can't be correct cus the Dubois boat would have won something even more important if PR/being connected was involved.
__________________
You can never go fast enough...
Mark Wildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
[QUOTE=hunton69;149552]Because they were a happy friendly team.

They were only asked to go a week before so as to make up the numbers.

QUOTE]

That is true. Also just as well they did go and I for one thank them for doing so (and it wasn't cheap either) as otherwise the RB08 would never have had a mention
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,368
[QUOTE=OldMan;149575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Because they were a happy friendly team.

They were only asked to go a week before so as to make up the numbers.

QUOTE]

That is true. Also just as well they did go and I for one thank them for doing so (and it wasn't cheap either) as otherwise the RB08 would never have had a mention
I believed you had to be invited i thought the evening was for champions and record holder.

I'm sure a few from RB8 would of filled a couple of tables and it would of been a pleasure if you could of joined us.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How many miles did cinzano do on the trailer? A huge amount, IIRC.
Our support car went back with 4000 more miles on it
keyzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium
Occupation: aim
Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I think Brenni should of won the Brave heart team filled her full of scotch in Inverness
or you :-)


__________________

ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×