Boatmad.com

Old 16-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
How much does the Medical and Measurement Certificate Cost?I presume I would need a National License as I can't see any alternative on the Form
Cheers Nic
Medicals are being done for £35.00 on a first come first served basis at the Brass Monkey i believe

Measurement cert for yours is £115 ?????

Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #42

Interests: boating/shooting/water sports
Boat name: Apmarine Racing
Boat make: Phantom 21, Manerfelt 23, Donzi 28zx
Engines: Merc XR2, Merc xs, 2 x 350Mags
Cruising area: plymouth/looe/fowey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Medicals are being done for £35.00 on a first come first served basis at the Brass Monkey i believe

Measurement cert for yours is £115 ?????
Measurment Certif Are £75 but i am sure you dont need it for a basic!!!

Old 16-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #43

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

you dont for basic,but if after 2 basic races you have used up the basic allowance then you have to go national i think
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearny View Post
just quoting from the RYA form ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fees.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	18710  
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #45

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Join a Club !!

You can only do two "NATIONAL" events on "BASIC" License !! Assuming it stays the same these are £60 per event and must be accompanied by a self decleration medical form !! Basic Events such as Brass Monkey, Allhallows shakedown, Cancer research etc are standalone basic events so the 2 licinse rule does not apply !!

You only need measurement (Compliance) certificate to compete nationally although as your (Nic Surrey) Boat is too small for 3c and Engine too big for OCR you are restricted to basic anyway. or Formula 200 (a basic class)alongside 3c !!

I am pushing a proposal for half price provisional licences to encourage new comers but that is still under negotiation.

There is no point in everyone contacting the RYA, they are there to administer the sport via their affilliated clubs !! The more that individuals pester them the less chance there is of them doing anything to help the clubs.

Simple really !!

So "JOIN A CLUB" ANY Club that is affilliated to the RYA will do.
Old 16-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #46

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Join a Club !!

You can only do two "NATIONAL" events on "BASIC" License !! Assuming it stays the same these are £60 per event and must be accompanied by a self decleration medical form !! Basic Events such as Brass Monkey, Allhallows shakedown, Cancer research etc are standalone basic events so the 2 licinse rule does not apply !!

You only need measurement (Compliance) certificate to compete nationally although as your (Nic Surrey) Boat is too small for 3c and Engine too big for OCR you are restricted to basic anyway. or Formula 200 (a basic class)alongside 3c !!

I am pushing a proposal for half price provisional licences to encourage new comers but that is still under negotiation.

There is no point in everyone contacting the RYA, they are there to administer the sport via their affilliated clubs !! The more that individuals pester them the less chance there is of them doing anything to help the clubs.

Simple really !!

So "JOIN A CLUB" ANY Club that is affilliated to the RYA will do.
Bob thanks for some clarification,If you look at my previous posts I have asked lots of quetions and recieved a lot of good responses but the majority with either 'I think' Should be,probably can etc,so I thought rather than asking again and I presume the RYA make the rules I would contact them with E Mails and Webb site Search to no avail.I agree that if a person wishes to definately Race then joining a Club is the answer but if someone is at the thinking stage then surely making this info readily available via a webb site with definate/confirmed answers is the way to go,If someone broke the rules I presume its RYA that would dish out any punishments?I am a member of Weston Super Mare Club-(not sure if RYA affiliated)but thats predominently Ski racers but do not have a very local Race Club and would not particlarily want to keep pestering club officials.
Is the Basic License the same as an Event License?
My confusing over the Class for my boat but I thought a Phantom 20 competed last year in 3C
If you look at the 09 license application form what should I go for bearing in mind what I intend to do?
All help appreciated
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #47

Interests: boating/shooting/water sports
Boat name: Apmarine Racing
Boat make: Phantom 21, Manerfelt 23, Donzi 28zx
Engines: Merc XR2, Merc xs, 2 x 350Mags
Cruising area: plymouth/looe/fowey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Bob thanks for some clarification,If you look at my previous posts I have asked lots of quetions and recieved a lot of good responses but the majority with either 'I think' Should be,probably can etc,so I thought rather than asking again and I presume the RYA make the rules I would contact them with E Mails and Webb site Search to no avail.I agree that if a person wishes to definately Race then joining a Club is the answer but if someone is at the thinking stage then surely making this info readily available via a webb site with definate/confirmed answers is the way to go,If someone broke the rules I presume its RYA that would dish out any punishments?I am a member of Weston Super Mare Club-(not sure if RYA affiliated)but thats predominently Ski racers but do not have a very local Race Club and would not particlarily want to keep pestering club officials.
Is the Basic License the same as an Event License?
My confusing over the Class for my boat but I thought a Phantom 20 competed last year in 3C
If you look at the 09 license application form what should I go for bearing in mind what I intend to do?
All help appreciated
Nope that was a 21 with some refinments!! as it was me
Old 16-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #48

On form you can compete in all classes "UP TO" i.e. if you pay for 3c that will cover OCR A & B Class K Class etc. If you have a OCR B License it wont cover 3c so you only hav to tick the highest one and pay that ammount !! hope this maks sense.
If you do Brass Monkey on an Event (Basic) license for £60 this will be refunded when you buy a national license. But you will need to get the form signed by a senior club official.
If still not sure give me a call.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 16-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #49
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

So does that mean my marthon licence that I use to drive a 38 foot 1200Hp Top Gun also entitles me to race in S250 & F400 but not class III or Honda 150 or OCR C Class or Thundercat / Zapcat

You gotta admit thats funny, Anomalies are such strange things when they just happen

Or looking at it another way, one could race over as quite rightly intended open & extented waters many mles from shore but would need training to drive a V24 on a close to shore sheltered water race.
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
So does that mean my marthon licence that I use to drive a 38 foot 1200Hp Top Gun also entitles me to race in S250 & F400 but not class III or Honda 150 or OCR C Class or Thundercat / Zapcat

You gotta admit thats funny, Anomalies are such strange things when they just happen

Or looking at it another way, one could race over as quite rightly intended open & extented waters many mles from shore but would need training to drive a V24 on a close to shore sheltered water race.
Are you lot that doppy or have I not explained it word by word !! Loosely speaking you can drive the classes which licenses cost up to the cost of yours !! Providing you qualify !!

As I have mentioned before you can always ask your club !! Thay have to sign it anyway.

Bob
Old 17-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #51
Traveling

Guess I'm just doppy with a tad of a dry sense of humour if you missed the point I will highlight better without the indirect sarcasm.

One could take a 3000hp beatie and bash it around the coast with no training whatsoever but you would need training to drive something smaller that remains in sheltered water, just dont seem logical thats all, just highlighting the abstract situation. You could do a lot more damage with that big rig ...............
Just a little surprised that the RYA & all of its sub commites have never even thought about it.

You gotta admit Bob it is an Abstract issue

So Pic one No Training Required to drive

Pic 2 & 3 Training Required
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6510.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	18733   Click image for larger version

Name:	im19.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	18735  
Attached Images

Old 18-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #52

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearny View Post
To clarify and prevent any more confusion, a renewal on a measurement certificate costs £75, a new measurement costs £115.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #53
JBP

Quote:
Guess I'm just doppy with a tad of a dry sense of humour if you missed the point I will highlight better without the indirect sarcasm.

One could take a 3000hp beatie and bash it around the coast with no training whatsoever but you would need training to drive something smaller that remains in sheltered water, just dont seem logical thats all, just highlighting the abstract situation. You could do a lot more damage with that big rig ...............
Just a little surprised that the RYA & all of its sub commites have never even thought about it.

You gotta admit Bob it is an Abstract issue

So Pic one No Training Required to drive

Pic 2 & 3 Training Required
Well technically it's only our 17 and under competitors that have compusary training, saying that if I took up the sport I'd rather know what I'd doing first as it's ya team partners life in your hands whether driving or navigating....

Look forward to seeing you at our taster weekend 31st Jan/1st Feb
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #54
Traveling

Instruction for V24's only then,

V24 = What's the term I'm looking for..................Special Needs (Thats it !!!)

Grin only kidding guys

Kids are really looking forward to it be a good day
Old 20-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #55
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:

V24 = What's the term I'm looking for..................Special Needs (Thats it !!!)

Grin only kidding guys

V24's require 'special training' because they aparently suffer from restricted visability and their handling is suspect to people who have never driven a boat before. I believe this came about because when V24's suddenly became popular in around 2005, several people who had never driven a powerboat in thier lives before suddenly were faced with a powerful boat in close quarters racing - never having had any prior experiance.

I do think that a standard should be applied to all of the 'bigger' classes of boat, where you have to have shown a few races in a 'smaller' class of boat before you can be let loose in the 'bigger' boats.

In car racing you had to have competed in five regional races before you could race in a national race.

A similar thing could be applied to powerboat racing. P1 have rules that appear to work well. A simple solution could be that any competitor wishing to race in any national event would be issued with a provisional licence, which would require three basic events before it became a full licence eligable for national events. A short cut of a set training course could allow someone to bypass the three events rule by undergoing a course setdown by the RYA - as it may be a requirement for someone to take part in an event which occurs before three basic races have taken place.

The P1 rules should apply to basic races: The people racing on provisional or event licences start the race from a second muster, which kicks off 1 minute after the first muster. This delayed start is subtracted from their final time to ensure fairness in racing, but removes the beginner from the most dangerous part of the race, the mad dash to the first turn bouy. It would also spread out the field and allow more thinking time - which is always going to be a good thing.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #56
Traveling

RYA Newsletter posted to Boatmad with Draft, Race dates & other info. RYA Web site updated

Old 20-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #57
JBP

Quote:

Grin only kidding guys

Glad kids looking forward to the 31st/1st

If ya drop me a PM with ya e-mail I can then send you the details, Cheers
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #58
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
RYA Newsletter posted to Boatmad with Draft, Race dates & other info. RYA Web site updated
Website Misuse - Word of Warning– There are many competitors‟ forums on the web, and used wisely, they are a good place to air new ideas and views. There have however been formal complaints made to this office about the content of some of these „chat rooms‟, to the point where it was requested that the RYA Legal Department make a ruling. Please be advised that if you are using the web your comments are in the „public domain‟; any defamatory remarks or statements could well fall under the laws of libel (the written word), (slander being the spoken word). It may only be a short while before anyone allegedly maligned may take legal action against those who have allegedly maligned them. So, please take this as a warning to check your facts before committing to print, otherwise it could prove a very costly legal exercise. Also bear in mind that this may also be viewed by the RYA as “Bringing the sport into disrepute”. We are not asking for censorship, but merely request that you write and converse with a bit more caution.

Old 21-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #59
Traveling

MMMhhh I have to refer to my legal team, I dont think anything was untrue that was posted, dry humor & a tad smarmy.............

That last post was a pat on the back for getting it done
Old 21-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #60

Knobs...

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote