Boatmad.com

Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

RYA Manifesto.

You can read a copy of the RYA Manifesto here

http://content.yudu.com/A1tjgh/RYAMa...ces/index.htm?

Considering recent events regarding the start of the CTC race I fail to see how the RYA seeks to 'maintain and promote', it goes on to say that the RYA does not beleive that 'regulation promotes safety' and that they think 'skills and experience rather than regulation are the foundations of personal safety.

Feels somewhat hypocritical of the RYA to me.

I wonder if its about time there was a new or alternative governing body for Powerboat racing that truly did seek to maintain and promote.

burgundyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

In light of recent events it strikes me that there remains a need for a new governing body for Powerboat Racing in the UK.

burgundyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
wss

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
In light of recent events it strikes me that there remains a need for a new governing body for Powerboat Racing in the UK.
There will be one very soon it time

NEW TIMES NEED NEW WAYS
wss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
CB1

If youre anything to do with it Gary I feel the worst. Didnt see you at Alans funeral along with all the other clipper aircrew..
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
wss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
If youre anything to do with it Gary I feel the worst. Didnt see you at Alans funeral along with all the other clipper aircrew..

Yes and i love you to
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
I actually spent quite a long time last night going through the website wondering if they have really been value for money on all things power for the past 40 odd years of membership and licensing fees they have had off me.

My answer was less so than even successive governments with my taxes.

Similar bodies really in that they have become self serving rather than listening to the wishes of those that pay them to be there.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Rya

I think it is time to ask what does the RYA stand for. This is with regard to all the fields that involve power sports. Powerboat. Motorboat. Ribs. Jet skis.

Virtually all above require licensing in one form or another. Compair with sailing an ICC is all required and I think if someone was to ask and if the RYA where to be truthfully that those with engines provide them with the most revenue. I apriciate that probably with sponsorship of sailing we are outweighed but in the harsh realities of business I bet that motor far outweighs sail in as far as licensing and regulation, and fees.

So someone in the RYA standup and prove me wrong.

Or if I'm right then perhaps you would volunteer to be called the Royal Motor and Yachting Associtaion !!!!!!!
willh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #8

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Thank the Lord, there are others who feel like this.

Over the last 9 Months the Powerboat Division of the RYA have slowly but surely ensured that they caused me and my colleagues the maximum amount of grief by imposing rediculous demands (about 26 in total) on us and by us I mean the organisers of the Cowes to Monte-Carlo. It got so bad that I had to get someone else to go to the meetings with the RYA as i was constantly losing my temper.

It began with a demand for "Affiliation" of £4,000! This year it was going to be £5,000 and we never received one item of support. Value for money?

One last point, out of the blue they demanded that I contact EVERY environmental group between Cowes and Monte-Carlo and get their written approval for the race to run. If I didn't do that and sign a letter to say I had then the race would be banned from running. As you can imagine that was impossible to achieve, how many were there? That is just one of the many items that came down from them and these grew by the week.

So, you guys have my vote.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #9

Is there LIfe after RYA ?

I know the figures and personalities have changed within the RYA in the past 30 years but during the early 1980s in Guernsey , local races were being run very successfully outside the remit of the RYA by the Guernsey Powerboat Association (GPA).

In 1982, my father and a couple of others started looking at the idea of creating an international event to be held in Guernsey. The RYA (even back then) proved very difficult to deal with and at odds with the innovative and healthy racing scene in the island at the time.

This led to the exploration of an alternative way of doing things and in 1982/3 we had formed a new UIM affiliated national authority the Guernsey International Powerboat Authority (GIPA)

This basically allowed us to hold international events outside of the RYA and importantly to invite overseas visitors (which included from the UK) to compete.

This is very important because of UIM rule 104 which calls for sanctions against competitors who compete in “non-approved” events. (basically any event not sanctioned by their national authority even including international motorboat cruises!)

Of course it is very possible and perfectly legal to set up a rebel or breakaway organizing club or authority -and law abiding competitors can compete in any event that they wish

- however thanks to Rule 104, it is unlikely that members of clubs affiliated to their respective o national authority would ever race-
Under the present set up (with the UIM) that leaves various options including-

A Build a critical mass of independent racers who would adhere to a break away organization- with UIM approval outside the remit of the RYA

B Go it alone completely without UIM sanction (again if a critical mass of support were reached- the UIM may probably welcome back into the fold- politics involved here).

C Form a new national authority- either to run in parallel to the RYA in the UK for specific events and classes (marathon / class 1 and 2 for example)-

D F orm an “offshore”- offshore authority with registered office in the IOM, CI or Gibraltar for instance..

These thoughts raise more questions than answers- and a loose knit group of “gentleman racers” could no doubt arrange events amongst themselves and start things from zero. However a lot of politics and solidarity would be required to pull it off on a broader scale (and that seems to have been the issue recently)

I wish all well who want to explore new ways to revive our sport-

Footnote- The GIPA finally did not organize any events -as the idea of an international powerboat week in Guernsey was taken over in 83/84 by Messrs Ridout, Corson & Co. (who had the political and commercial clout to pull it off) decided that the Guernsey Yacht Club and RYA affiliation was the way to go. (rather than GPA/GIPA) Although Jose Mawet, then Secretary General of UIM had to ask my father to disband the GIPA in order to allow the RYA to take over jurisdiction.
Guy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #10

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

So is the RYA a problem institutionally or is it the people from the power boat side? by that i mean from club level up to manager? im sure there's lots of views on this. every year the same lets break away thing pops up. But for this to work..... honestly would we have to look at individuals that would be desireable and refuse others..... and then how would we decide that?
Old 13-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

I'm guessing but with what happened with the CMC event I strongly suspect that the request/demand has come down from the UIM to the RYA, no more deaths, nothing must happen to attract the media, everything must be super environmentally friendly, don't disturb bird’s habitat and boats must not hit ANY sea mammals!

The French are just as bad. I had to complete an 8 page document - in French - just to cross the channel into French waters.

Sorry to have gone off thread.

ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #12

It’s very difficult to make progress against political forces such as those.

I consult for the offshore oil and gas and shipping industries- and in environmental matters I have often found a lack of decision making on the part of the authorities and much “Backside Covering”- very few people these days appear to have the balls to take responsibility to anything that might not appear 100% politically correct.

I can see that Epic marathon events in the future may have to be set up on a low key basis between individuals outside of any regulating authority (perfectly legally) as a purely competitor focussed activity.

Specatator ,or as Blimp says, “Consumer “ friendly powerboat racing- will probably gravitate to become sanitized. heavily regulated round the buoys- local events. -Or prohibitively expensive corporate run circuses like UIM Class 1 ,or whatever it is called these days.

If you comply with relevant international and local legislation- nobody can prevent individual boats making high speed passages to wherever they wish.

Unlike competing on public highways- the sea is still (relatively) free to do as you please as long as you do not hurt other seafarers, yourself, your crew, damage property or the environment.

Furthermore, a properly designed, equipped and crewed offshore powerboat – is far less of a menace to other seafarers and local coastal states than a single handed or short handed sailing boat. (just less politically correct!)
Guy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
wss

Ok guys who said the RYA have any power at all in law there do not if you want to take your boat out to sea you do not need to ask the RYA if its ok with them all there have is smoke and mirrors.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wss View Post
Ok guys who said the RYA have any power at all in law there do not if you want to take your boat out to sea you do not need to ask the RYA if its ok with them all there have is smoke and mirrors.
we are talking about sanctioned, legal, insured organised events here so they govern our laws.

all the time we have them as a governing body they dictate our laws and the officials ensure that colregs and solas are adhered to as they are still part of racing rules.
As soon as you go into foreign waters the local laws and bylaws apply so then that countries enforcers would take over.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Mike,

you have hit the nail on the head with the request from RYA. Surely the contacting and assurances to environmental groups is exactly what the RYA is for.

It is their job to do, not yours, and what we pay them to do. Or are my membership fees just paying for them to act as glorified policemen?
Old 13-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #16

the last thread i remembered that discussed breaking away in depth was the cowes 2010 update thread.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
wss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
we are talking about sanctioned, legal, insured organised events here so they govern our laws.

all the time we have them as a governing body they dictate our laws and the officials ensure that colregs and solas are adhered to as they are still part of racing rules.
As soon as you go into foreign waters the local laws and bylaws apply so then that countries enforcers would take over.
But why do there have the right to say there are the governing body there are a company and make lots of money and as a company there are open to competition by law there do not have a monopoly.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wss View Post
But why do there have the right to say there are the governing body there are a company and make lots of money and as a company there are open to competition by law there do not have a monopoly.
I am honestly struggling to understand your post.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
wss

Who gave the RYA the right to say there are the governing body in the uk there have no mandate from the government to say there are the law for boating in the uk
Old 13-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #20

i really have no idea but i would imagine a long time ago a wafi got a motor YACHT then another did then they had a race and their club at the time organised races?? stab in the dark. and from then on the rya grew into the national authority it is now?

You seem to have an axe to grind with the establishment but does the subsequent comittees have any say in the failure as a sport? twg? orc prc?
Or maybe even indivuduals? if there was a break away what is stopping us ending up in the same place?