Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > The Muster Area > General Racing Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 18-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #1

RYA Powerboat Racing; Urgent SAFETY BULLETIN 11.04.2006

In light of the published MAIB report into the K Class incident and the resulting study into crash helmets commisioned by the RYA, & conducted by independent research authority QinetiQ, the helmet rules for all classes are revised with immediate effect as follows:

1)It is mandatory to wear a helmet made to a minimum of BS 6658.B or a similar standard to include UN ECE22-05, & Snell M2000, M2005.
2)Helmet to be coloured predominantly Orange, (at least 50%).
3)It is recommended that for craft capable of over 80mph the helmet complies with BS 6658.A or Snell SA2000, SA2005.
4)It is also recommended that helmets are replaced when they reach five years old from date of manufacture.

When a helmet is first produced for scrutineering the wearer MUST prove compliance with the above standards; this may be by means of product literature. Once the Scruitineer is satisfied; the helmet will be marked with a "RYA helmet approved date sticker". Proof of COMPLIANCE will then no longer be required for subsequent races until the following season.

RYA SCRUTINEERS WILL HOWEVER REJECT ANY DEFECTIVE OR DAMAGED HELMETS FOUND DURING SCRUTINEERING.

(The above bulletin was received from the RYA on Saturday 15.04.06)

================================================

Further RYA Information/News:

The RYA are trying to update their records of all powerboat racing drivers, crews, officials, support personnel etc., and wish to obtain everyones E-mail addresses. This is so that in future seasons, paper updates, information, etc., can be replaced with e-mailled information.
If you are one of the 23% who have so far not given the RYA Powerboating Dept., your e-mail address, or if you do not have internet access, please consider the future, & if you have one, please advise the RYA of your e-mail details.
Mark such information for the attention of Sheila Wright/Debra France, Powerboat Racing Department, RYA, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hants., SO31 4YA
==================================================

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #2

Boat make: CYCLONE INVADER 21
Engines: EVINRUDE 250 HO G2

does this mean the gecho type helmet has been banned!! and if so is it due to its impact rating!!

MIKE HUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #3

The gecko helmet has not met the required standard since the rule was brought in earlier this year.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
JBP

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
The gecko helmet has not met the required standard since the rule was brought in earlier this year.
Matt have you seen the report yet?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #5

No, I just got forwarded the above notice to put on the orda website, and cos I'm a cheeky sod I put it here as well. I know the rya powerboat manager hates boatmad, but most people seem to read it, so I thought it'd be a good place to post it.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
JBP

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
No, I just got forwarded the above notice to put on the orda website, and cos I'm a cheeky sod I put it here as well. I know the rya powerboat manager hates boatmad, but most people seem to read it, so I thought it'd be a good place to post it.
True it does get well read here.

The report is interesting but factual.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #7

Any chance you could get me a copy?