Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
The Future of Offshore Racing

I have just received the following from a good friend of mine in Norway. I will leave it to you to decide what to do but this man knows what he is talking about,

Hello,

My name is Řivind Dreier Sivertsen, but I am also known as ”Simon from Norway”.

I have been involved in Powerboating for more than 50 years and have for a number of years been a member of UIM Cominoff and worked as a UIM Commissioner at several Championship Events.

My Powerboating heart feels sad when I see the state of affairs for offshore racing in General within Europe. With the latest development of the Venture Cup, which was tried turned into a Rally under Pleasure Navigation and now cancelled, I feel that the offshore sport need to see some positive signals.

It is in this context that I contact you. I am first of all trying to find out what kind of boating material is in existence and what kind of racing people would like to see being brought back to the sport. If sufficient interest is proven for the Pro-Vee class or Marathon then an initiative will be taken to bring the class back to the scene.

Please fill in the attached form and return it to me A.S.A.P. If you have a friend who has a boat and is interested in Offshore Racing, please pass this mail on to him or her.

My aim is to assist to see real offshore racing flourish again. With hopes for the future.

Best Regards

Řivind «Simon» Dreier Sivertsen
Chairman Offshore Norway
Ph. +47 930 16 650
simonfromnorway@gmail.com
Attached Images
   
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Questionnaire 1 Offshore Racing.pdf (427.1 KB, 153 views)
__________________

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered User
 
snapper66's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Isle of Wight
Occupation: Aircraft fitter
Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 164
Offshore Meeting

Hi All.........





The Offshore Racing Drivers Association (ORDA) are going to hold a very informal 'Drivers Forum' on the Sunday morning of 8th June 2014.
We would like to talk to ANY Drivers / Teams that have some thoughts to air and questions to pose. This we hope to help us ALL move in the correct direction for the 2015 season and beyond.


It will be just a sit down, from the heart, bash out a few thoughts and ideas type of meet.....


Please reply in any form you like, BoatMad, FaceBook, E-mail, Text, Phone call...... as this will help us with catering and venue size etc.


Many many thanks for your time on this matter.


The ORDA Committee...
__________________

snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper66 View Post
Hi All.........





The Offshore Racing Drivers Association (ORDA) are going to hold a very informal 'Drivers Forum' on the Sunday morning of 8th June 2014.
We would like to talk to ANY Drivers / Teams that have some thoughts to air and questions to pose. This we hope to help us ALL move in the correct direction for the 2015 season and beyond.


It will be just a sit down, from the heart, bash out a few thoughts and ideas type of meet.....


Please reply in any form you like, BoatMad, FaceBook, E-mail, Text, Phone call...... as this will help us with catering and venue size etc.


Many many thanks for your time on this matter.


The ORDA Committee...

That so sums up the reason why Powerboat Racing is at an all time low....

Your just announcing that you want to hold a "Drivers Forum" in 7 days time, and you need to know the numbers to decide on catering and venue size!!!!!

A Kentucky party bucket and a phone box should suffice.
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
A N Other
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 69
Interesting View

Thank you racefan......

Not shore what race you are a fan of but it is clearly not Powerboat Racing from the awful sarcastic post....

This fourm site is just a secondary source of information from us, just incase some have not seen the others, and to also act as a reminder.

For your info we already have good numbers attending....

So enjoy your evening in the phone box with your Kentucky party box and mates.


Regards ORDA Committee....
ORDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
While I breathe, I hope
 
Seadog's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Marine Industry
Interests: powerboat Racing, Rallying
Boat make: Marshan 18, Blufin, Torenvliet, Avenger 16, Avon Sea Rider,+
Cruising area: West coast Ireland/Inland Waterways

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 62
My aim is to assist to see real offshore racing flourish again. With hopes for the future.
Best Regards
Řivind «Simon» Dreier Sivertsen
Chairman Offshore Norway
Ph. +47 930 16 650
simonfromnorway@gmail.com[/QUOTE]


Lets keep this thread positive and all work together to help Simon reach his AIM -Real Offshore Racing Flourishing.
His aim is what all of us want and deep down we know we have to look within the sport and maybe some changes will be needed.
I hope this forum will become a building block in this process as members here have vast experience and knowledge. Its up to you on what you do with it.
__________________
While I Breathe, I Hope
Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Country: UK
Location: Surrey
Occupation: Motorsport Development inc Engine Managment
Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 375
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDA View Post
Thank you racefan......

Not shore what race you are a fan of but it is clearly not Powerboat Racing from the awful sarcastic post....

This fourm site is just a secondary source of information from us, just incase some have not seen the others, and to also act as a reminder.

For your info we already have good numbers attending....

So enjoy your evening in the phone box with your Kentucky party box and mates.


Regards ORDA Committee....
If I was ever on a committee that put out a response like this I'd be calling for an EGM to ask what on earth was going on.

I'm stunned by the lack of professionalism shown by some 'professional' groups here.

Surely as a body who represents a collective group of like minded people you should know:

Rule 1, remain professional
Rule 2, don't feed the trolls
Rule 3, if any problems occur refer to rule 1
etc...
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Country: UK

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
My aim is to assist to see real offshore racing flourish again. With hopes for the future.
Best Regards
Řivind «Simon» Dreier Sivertsen
Chairman Offshore Norway
Ph. +47 930 16 650
simonfromnorway@gmail.com

Lets keep this thread positive and all work together to help Simon reach his AIM -Real Offshore Racing Flourishing.
His aim is what all of us want and deep down we know we have to look within the sport and maybe some changes will be needed.
I hope this forum will become a building block in this process as members here have vast experience and knowledge. Its up to you on what you do with it.[/QUOTE]

My head is telling me to walk away. I have raced for 20 years and have won 4 British Championships. I have raced in European and World Championships in
South Africa and Italy. My head believed in the 2 VC management teams only to be bitterly disappointed after spending Ł300k building a "Marathon Boat" (not quite finished building yet because my potential sponsor heard alarm bells 3 months ago!) My head was promised openness and transparency which was not forthcoming. Should I now believe in Simon?
My heart and passion for the sport says yes and I have filled in the questionnaire and returned the same.
Mad or what!
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Lets keep this thread positive and all work together to help Simon reach his AIM -Real Offshore Racing Flourishing.
His aim is what all of us want and deep down we know we have to look within the sport and maybe some changes will be needed.
I hope this forum will become a building block in this process as members here have vast experience and knowledge. Its up to you on what you do with it.
My head is telling me to walk away. I have raced for 20 years and have won 4 British Championships. I have raced in European and World Championships in
South Africa and Italy. My head believed in the 2 VC management teams only to be bitterly disappointed after spending Ł300k building a "Marathon Boat" (not quite finished building yet because my potential sponsor heard alarm bells 3 months ago!) My head was promised openness and transparency which was not forthcoming. Should I now believe in Simon?
My heart and passion for the sport says yes and I have filled in the questionnaire and returned the same.
Mad or what![/QUOTE]

Go with the Heart Monkey.
Surely with all the boats now available the time is right to sort something out.
As said earlier in the thread, the money needs to be kept at a reasonable level to get the teams to engage and a main sponsor on board from the start.
Then I think it will work.
Fingers crossed.
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
BananaShark Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Occupation: Racer and builder
Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post

My head is telling me to walk away. I have raced for 20 years and have won 4 British Championships. I have raced in European and World Championships in
South Africa and Italy. My head believed in the 2 VC management teams only to be bitterly disappointed after spending Ł300k building a "Marathon Boat" (not quite finished building yet because my potential sponsor heard alarm bells 3 months ago!) My head was promised openness and transparency which was not forthcoming. Should I now believe in Simon?
My heart and passion for the sport says yes and I have filled in the questionnaire and returned the same.
Mad or what!
Same here - 20 years, podium at World level, raced 20 years in OCR, RIBs and Offshore as well as marathon, got a National Championship and two speed records, been to Italy, South Africa and Norway, built a set of moulds and a race boat and I don't want to add up the cost - I'm walking away before I waste any more money - anyone want to buy any moulds?
__________________
Cookee



British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Renegade's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: london
Occupation: Powerboat Skipper
Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: london
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Same here - 20 years, podium at World level, raced 20 years in OCR, RIBs and Offshore as well as marathon, got a National Championship and two speed records, been to Italy, South Africa and Norway, built a set of moulds and a race boat and I don't want to add up the cost - I'm walking away before I waste any more money - anyone want to buy any moulds?
There are quite a few people now that have invested in supporting their classes and sport with absolutely no back up when needed.

Im still of the mind that its best to shut up shop and start again once the crap has been ousted.
__________________
Im re branding pepper spray as Arsehole Repellant.im going to make a fortune.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Great Horwood

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Great Horwood
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
For anyone that was in the Bournemouth area over the last weekend would have seen hours of powerboat racing action.

P1 Superstock & Aqua X from Bournemouth Pier and ThunderCat Racing at Boscombe Pier.

Both events were very well organised and supported.

In the 4 years I organised the Cowes - Torquay - Cowes with the BPRC, we ran to a tight budget, ensured safety coupled with the best officials - Ultimately giving racers an event they could trust.

The Cowes Classic 2014 will be no different.

Perhaps, "The Future of Offshore Racing" isn't so hard?
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Country: UK

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,235
Well, sounds like you have it cracked then!
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Great Horwood

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Great Horwood
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Holmes View Post
Well, sounds like you have it cracked then!
Certainly, "We were not allowed on deck to take photographs as this was reserved for the press and the visibility through the windows was poor!"

I did sort out for the following year - Sadly, you didn't support the event that weekend.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Country: UK

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,235
I only get burnt once!
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 106
Ciao
There lies one of the problems ! One race per year !! who on earth is going to fork out a shat load of money for one race. What is the point.
What you have done is organized the same race for 4 years. What is required is a number of races so we can get value for money.
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #16
Registered User
 
RHINO's Avatar
 
Country: ENGLAND
Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,068
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I have just received the following from a good friend of mine in Norway. I will leave it to you to decide what to do but this man knows what he is talking about,

Hello,

My name is Řivind Dreier Sivertsen, but I am also known as ”Simon from Norway”.

I have been involved in Powerboating for more than 50 years and have for a number of years been a member of UIM Cominoff and worked as a UIM Commissioner at several Championship Events.

My Powerboating heart feels sad when I see the state of affairs for offshore racing in General within Europe. With the latest development of the Venture Cup, which was tried turned into a Rally under Pleasure Navigation and now cancelled, I feel that the offshore sport need to see some positive signals.

It is in this context that I contact you. I am first of all trying to find out what kind of boating material is in existence and what kind of racing people would like to see being brought back to the sport. If sufficient interest is proven for the Pro-Vee class or Marathon then an initiative will be taken to bring the class back to the scene.

Please fill in the attached form and return it to me A.S.A.P. If you have a friend who has a boat and is interested in Offshore Racing, please pass this mail on to him or her.

My aim is to assist to see real offshore racing flourish again. With hopes for the future.

Best Regards

Řivind «Simon» Dreier Sivertsen
Chairman Offshore Norway
Ph. +47 930 16 650
simonfromnorway@gmail.com
hiya simon,i know a lot of people on this site will not agree with me but here goes,i think the rya should enforce the power they have and disband all clubs and run the offshore racing themselves and let the key people in the sport organise the venues,minimise the classes and only approve a certain amount of venues ,so if you want to compete that is the venue to go to,because having different clubs with their own ajendas the sport is going nowhere.get the entrants to pay their entrys upfront and then you know who is seriious ,and make all classes join force ,if certain classes do not want to join then dont approve their races
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Great Horwood

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Great Horwood
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Leader View Post
Ciao
There lies one of the problems ! One race per year !! who on earth is going to fork out a shat load of money for one race. What is the point.
What you have done is organized the same race for 4 years. What is required is a number of races so we can get value for money.
I suspect the point is that many of the entrants who have competed at Cowes in the last 4 years can only afford to do one race.

Those that can afford to do more have business commitments / family weekends that would make a series of events unviable.

If a UK / European Marathon racing season was achievable and practical it would have happened by now.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Dozzer's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Oxford
Occupation: Property
Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oxford
Posts: 143
Ciao is right.

I have looked through the entry lists for the last four years, and most of the people racing at Cowes do this as their hobby.......a very expensive one.

The problem we all have is that running our own businesses take up a lot of time and we can only have a few week-ends racing, because the rest of the time we have to take our wives and girlfriends on holiday to compensate!

There is no money in the sport any more.

In the 1970's my parents raced in France, the fuel was free, there was start and finishing money, the accommodation was free, food and booze free. We will never see this again.

So, I do my annual race at Cowes and have a nice time with my friends. If I make the finish I am even happier.

Anyway, Cowes 2014 is on, I'll be there, and I hope a few more of you will join me for a great week-end.
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Steve
 
Country: UK
Location: Wootton Bridge, IOW
Occupation: Quality Assurance Auditor
Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wootton Bridge, IOW
Posts: 150
Cowes today still carries on that tradition from when it started back in 61', anyone with a boat and wanted to have some fun for a weekend and race down to Torquay, have a spot of tea, and then latterly raced back too Cowes.

Well done to Cowes, roll on August 31st.
__________________
Not missed a C-T-C in 35 years (1977 -2012)
36 races
woottonwillis153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
Cowes, as it used to be with loads of spectators, no H & S then!
ML.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowes.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	41932  
__________________

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×