Boatmad.com

Old 20-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

The point of racing?

From reading this forum it would seem that the world of powerboat racing is populated almost entirely by pot-hunters and chinscratchers.

I was struck by a comment I saw on another forum recently. The racing in question is motorbike enduro racing (Dakar Rally type events) which, whilst furiously competitive, seems to have a much better spirit than a lot of other racing.

"To me, the point of racing is to try to exceed expectations. If that's a win, great. If it's 24th when you expected 30th, it's just as great. The point is to struggle, and give it everything you have, and then some more."

There are masses of people who enter these races knowing that they don't have an earthly chance of getting anywhere near the top of the field, so there can be more to racing than chasing a crappy trophy!

Any chance of a bit of that spilling over to powerboat racing?

Old 21-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #2

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Would have agreed with you in the past - there were always a few poorly supported classes where competitors practically got a Trophy for turning up. Buy a big boat - get a big trophy!

However the classes that have survived have done so by being competitive and can obviously best speak for 3C - where I'm sure everyone wants to see as many boats as possible and racing to be as high level as possible.

I'm sure everyone aims to win or learn enough so that they can win in the future. A trophy is really just recognition of that.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #3

I take my hat off to you boys. I am just a would-be racer. If it weren´t for most of you on here (and the very existence of this site), my interest would have probably died completely by now. I had an opportunity to get involved in the racing world over 20 years ago and didn´t stick it out, but that´s another story. So my interest and passion has been fuelled by my desire to take great photo´s of racers doing their thing. I admire all of you for doing what you love. Keep it up!! For me to contemplate coming back over to the UK next August to take photo´s once again after a number of years away from the scene is entirely down to the great crowd on here. And it´s the 3C class especially that has been the most well supported and provided on most occasions the most exciting racing. Cheers!! (although of course the V24 crowd will dispute that - I´m so out of touch in reality that I have much to brush up on!!) Looking forward to next August!!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #4

Interests: not getting my fags wet
Boat name: Baccaruda Rescue
Boat make: Binliner 175
Engines: OMC tractor
Cruising area: Hoo (medway)

myself and my girlfriend race in OCR primarily for fun we are not brave enough (or young enough)to be ultra competitive but we
always enjoy getting away for the weekend and lets be honest
when your at a race weekend the last thing you think about is work but it is thanks to people like ian sterling and bob mcarthy
who took us for a blast across plymouth at there own expense on a come and try it day (by the way i filled my pants on the spot)
that we became involved in powerboating i know there is a lot of bitching and moaning around variouse forums but at the race meetings this seems to drift away and everyone becomes mates again you only have to look in the OCR pits if a boat has rolled
to see the majority of racers all offering their help in some form or another and the concern on racers faces if somebody has been hurt (as we have a couple of times) at the end of the day if we have had a good weekend away we havent broken anything and we hobble of to work on a monday morning with every muscle and bone aching we consider its all been worthwhile (apart from the expence of running the bloody thing ie fuel,oil,fags,redbull,magners and of course burgers , so the answer to johnny rockets post is not everybody is a pot hunter
but it is nice to recieve one every now and again so you have a small reminder for the future to remember what complete idiots
we were(and how much pain we felt)
regards
Steve And Ali
mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #5

Re: The point of racing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Rocket
From reading this forum it would seem that the world of powerboat racing is populated almost entirely by pot-hunters and chinscratchers.
I aint a "Pot-hunter"!

So i must be a "Chinscratcher" i suppose?

Guess i have been pidgeon holed then?
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

You aint a racer either, so he aint refering to you.

Still, the chinscratcher bit may apply anyway!
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
JBP

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mell
myself and my girlfriend race in OCR primarily for fun we are not brave enough (or young enough)to be ultra competitive but we
always enjoy getting away for the weekend and lets be honest
when your at a race weekend the last thing you think about is work but it is thanks to people like ian sterling and bob mcarthy
who took us for a blast across plymouth at there own expense on a come and try it day (by the way i filled my pants on the spot)
that we became involved in powerboating i know there is a lot of bitching and moaning around variouse forums but at the race meetings this seems to drift away and everyone becomes mates again you only have to look in the OCR pits if a boat has rolled
to see the majority of racers all offering their help in some form or another and the concern on racers faces if somebody has been hurt (as we have a couple of times) at the end of the day if we have had a good weekend away we havent broken anything and we hobble of to work on a monday morning with every muscle and bone aching we consider its all been worthwhile (apart from the expence of running the bloody thing ie fuel,oil,fags,redbull,magners and of course burgers , so the answer to johnny rockets post is not everybody is a pot hunter
but it is nice to recieve one every now and again so you have a small reminder for the future to remember what complete idiots
we were(and how much pain we felt)
regards
Steve And Ali
Got to agree with ya there, at the race meets it's wonderful to see everyone getting 'stuck in' so to say to help out not just the event but each other.

I think verytricky was amazed at our kids class racers, parents and organisers who all put in 110% to fulfill their passions, (boating ones!!) before you start, then race come back in, wash down then enjoy each others tales about how good bad or indifferent they were....

Racing is deffinately a passion and hats off to those who put in the effort not only to race but to organize all the events ejoyed by thousands across the UK, Europe and the world.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
You aint a racer either, so he aint refering to you.

Still, the chinscratcher bit may apply anyway!
Ive been in the "Human Race" for the last 40 years Jon, races dont come any more dangerous than that.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

True, though I think of it as the 'Rat Race'.
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #10

Interests: Ex-OCRDA Secretary,RYA Race Secretary,Trainee Safety Officer
Cruising area: Anywhere Sunny would be nice!!!

Steve & Ali,
You forgot to add the endless supply of Jaffa cakes you provide to the UngOver safety crew to your expenses list.
See you in Torquay
Mark & Fi x
kranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #11

Interests: Petrolhead
Boat name: Wayne Kerr
Boat make: Phantom xl
Engines: Mercury 2.5, 200(ish)
Cruising area: Essex, Hampshire, Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally posted by JBP

Racing is deffinately a passion and hats off to those who put in the effort not only to race but to organize all the events ejoyed by thousands across the UK, Europe and the world.
If only it was, if only ,,,,, !!!!:
Not saying it's not ,,,, but it would be nice to have some sort of "payback time" from those who make a nice packet out of our efforts !!!!

If only ,,,, If only.

Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote