Boatmad.com

Old 04-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

The RYA National Marathon Series

The RYA would like to confirm that the Marathon Series consisting of the Needles Race 15/16 August, the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes 28/29 August and the South Coast Marathon 26/27 September make up the three rounds of the RYA National Marathon Class Championships. Competitors taking part in all three events will be eligible for National Points. For a class to be eligible for national points there must be three or more boats racing in that class in each of the above events. The National Champions will be declared following the final race in September and the champions will be presented with their awards at the RYA Annual awards ceremony in Bournemouth next year.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
TEAM 25 RACING

Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
The RYA would like to confirm that the Marathon Series consisting of the Needles Race 15/16 August, the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes 28/29 August and the South Coast Marathon 26/27 September make up the three rounds of the RYA National Marathon Class Championships. Competitors taking part in all three events will be eligible for National Points. For a class to be eligible for national points there must be three or more boats racing in that class in each of the above events. The National Champions will be declared following the final race in September and the champions will be presented with their awards at the RYA Annual awards ceremony in Bournemouth next year.
Using the entries for the CTC as an indicater, according to the above, only 2 of the 9 Marathon classes will qualify for national points. Assuming that the entries for needles event are likely to be even fewer, this seems a strange descision.

After all we (and by we I include the teams in classes without any other competitors who have spent time and not-inconsiderable amounts of money putting together boats) could compete in a whole series this year, finish every race (1st, last or where-ever) and not score a single point, doesn't seem right does it?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

The rules have always been this way Simon, I do actually agree with it.

This is another reason why we didn't want too many classes, as it worsens that problem.
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
For a class to be eligible for national points there must be three or more boats racing in that class in each of the above events.
This is incorrect: PB1: N 6.8 If a starter is the only starter in a class that starter may be awarded 40 points only.

In other words, if you are in a valid national championship class and you are the only boat running that day, you may only get 40 points, not the 400. But you will get points.

Valid national championship points class:

I dont know - but I have been told:

BP1 N1: To count as a class eligible for national championship points, the class needs to have at least three boats registered with the RYA by the 30th April of the relevant year.

As this is aparently not the case for any class in the marithon series - So I figure the RYA will have an alternate plan for 2009. The RYA will almost definately make a plan to ensure racing is worthwhile...
RichA (Lamont) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
TEAM 25 RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
The rules have always been this way Simon, I do actually agree with it.

This is another reason why we didn't want too many classes, as it worsens that problem.
Jon, I appreciate that is the way it has always been, but it hardly encourages people to invest both time and money in this sport. And we are back to the discussion about too many classes........

So there is a realistic chance that at next year's RYA bash when all the awards are made abosulutely no-one will be awarded any of the 9 national championships competed for this season - what a system!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
TEAM 25 RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA View Post
The RYA will almost definately make a plan to ensure racing is worthwhile...
I hope they hurry up, before it's too late.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Well to be honest, unlike a few I could mention, If I won a championship, but was literally the only boat that took part in the class, I would be embarrased to accept any award let alone one stating that I was a National Champion. Maybe it could be changed to a minimum 2 boats in class, but one is just a joke. You may as well just knock up your own trophy and save the fuel money.
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #8

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Well to be honest, unlike a few I could mention, If I won a championship, but was literally the only boat that took part in the class, I would be embarrased to accept any award let alone one stating that I was a National Champion.
Who on earth could you be referring to Jon, surely not that bovine plonker .................?

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote