Boatmad.com

Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #61

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Good Luck with it Cookie I'm sure it will be a credit to you and Kitten and will go like the clappers (Especially with those Props )

When fixing the entry fees we were in parity with SEPA for the Ramsgate race thats the reason, And once fixed there is and was no going back. As we at UKOBA are looking to hold this race at this venue each year until the Olympics - that was the Plan with the Folk at Weymouth, it could well be revisited next year and a different format of Entry fee may well apply.

I look foward to hopefully seeing you at Weymouth good luck and keep Kitten working all the hours that God gives..

Cheers
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think we will probably enter, but at the rate things are changing I think I'll wait until the music stops and I have a boat to race!

We decided last night that it really is pointless trying to get to Cowes, so this race will be our only one this year, very disappointing but sh1t happens.

Just one question on the entry fees - why change the system that every other race uses? ClassIII does it that way - all of the marathon and UIM races have the same system that has been working for any number of years.

IMHO If it ain't broke don't mess with it!

Old 13-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #62

Clarification today from the RYA

"I have now received replies from the ORC Members, as a result, full points will be awarded to the Marathon teams in any Marathon Class where there is only ONE boat starting in that Class; this applies to all of the Marathon Races for the 2010 season.

Thank you to all of the ORC Members for their input."

That can only be Good News

Martin

Old 16-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #63

With the attrition rate on Sunday of the Marathon Fleet it's worrying that if the same or similar was to happen again there could be a problem with recovery of Disabled or Damaged boats with the current published course, taking this into account together with our Implied Duty of Care and UKOBA's interests in safety being paramount we have decided to review the course for the South Coast Marathon.

Details will be posted as soon as they are available.

Thanks
Martin
Old 16-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #64

Out of interest, we have had 2 expressions of interest regarding a "Club Basic Race" would anyone be interested at a cost of £200 per entry? Just a thought....
Old 17-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #65
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
With the attrition rate on Sunday of the Marathon Fleet it's worrying that if the same or similar was to happen again there could be a problem with recovery of Disabled or Damaged boats with the current published course, taking this into account together with our Implied Duty of Care and UKOBA's interests in safety being paramount we have decided to review the course for the South Coast Marathon.

Details will be posted as soon as they are available.

Thanks
Martin
I had a discussion about this yesterday with TF - The problem with this sort of action is where do you stop? Surely changing courses because a boat might break down is going against the ethos of Marathon racing? Where do you stop?

All IMHO of course!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

If this becomes a lap race, or similar, it will be of no interest to us.

Either run it as a Marathon, or just do a basic lapped thing, don't try and mix those ingredients, they'll curdle.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
If this becomes a lap race, or similar, it will be of no interest to us.

Either run it as a Marathon, or just do a basic lapped thing, don't try and mix those ingredients, they'll curdle.
No I agree With you Jon - it's not a Lap Race just a different course. So does that mean that Nick has said yes? and I can count you in?
Old 21-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #68
numbskull

Quote:
it's not a Lap Race just a different course. and I can count you in?
Would need to see the 'different course' first I think.

The Needles race was not attractive for the same reasons.

FWIW, the Weymouth>NAB>Weymouth course was nice & simple & offshore. Other than maybe a mark somewhere south of NAB to create separation (to please the course approval mob) I think it was pretty good.

Marathon was supposed to be a fend-for-ones-self series as far as rescue/support/safety goes.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 21-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #69

I found at Harwich, that combining the MCA and the local knowledge of 'Motorvator', we produced a fast, technical marathon course that challenged the main ambitions of the sport - speed, navigation and seamanship.
We anticipated and prepared for many calls from stranded sand banks and got none, however, the comms from Longnose, describing the 100 mph duel of A42 and B110, were breathtaking, as was the 2 second finishing gap between Darren and Gordon at end of 125nm. Racers should not be underestimated

Marathon is a class that has a great future in GB, so long as it is democratically controlled by it's organisers and made enjoyable for it's participants.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #70

Quote:
Would need to see the 'different course' first I think.

The Needles race was not attractive for the same reasons.

FWIW, the Weymouth>NAB>Weymouth course was nice & simple & offshore. Other than maybe a mark somewhere south of NAB to create separation (to please the course approval mob) I think it was pretty good.

Marathon was supposed to be a fend-for-ones-self series as far as rescue/support/safety goes.
For what it's worth Jon, It was not my decision to change the course, it was that of others at UKOBA.

As you say the "Weymouth - NAB - Weymouth course was nice and simple" and with a few Marks thrown in to encourage Navigation I thought it would be good. But the new course is equally as challenging and complies with the rules of Marathon Racing so lets hope all goes well.

Hope you and Nick can make the Race
Old 22-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #71
numbskull

Quote:
the new course is equally as challenging and complies with the rules
So would you care to share this new route with us? (a rough summary will do)

Old 22-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #72

Jon, allow me share the thinking on why the course was changed in the first instance. We were advised by a Senior Safety Officer that we should implement the use Trackers for the Race, upon being given this information we are deemed to have taken due cognisance of it. As there is no allowance in the budget for the installation of trackers and we wanted to keep the costs to a minimum we changed the course to one which would not require such a devise to be fitted, however, if you guys will run to the Nab and back without trackers (and "Hold the Organisers Harmless as a result of your decision") we will change the course back to Weymouth - Nab - Weymouth. What do you think? Please make your comments

Martin
Old 22-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #73
numbskull

I can only speak for Nick & I with regards to trackers.
I understand why the safety folk like them and appreciate that they could be extremely useful in the event of an incident that brought the boat to a stop with either electrical (radio) failure,, or incapacitated crew, but, I can't help thinking this will (if allowed to become the accepted/expected norm) lead to such stuff being required for all racing where its not tight laps in a bay, which is simply more cost & aggro, and another nail in the racing coffin. In short, we are more than happy running without trackers, in the knowledge that in the spirit of Marathon, we built a boat that is strong, predictable, safe and has the best possible chance of getting us home safe and sound under our own steam (twin engines with completely independent fuel & electrical systems) . At least as good a chance as one can have in a motorsport that has to be accepted as having some dangers attached.

Old 22-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #74
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
I understand why the safety folk like them and appreciate that they could be extremely useful in the event of an incident that brought the boat to a stop with either electrical (radio) failure,, or incapacitated crew, but, I can't help thinking this will (if allowed to become the accepted/expected norm) lead to such stuff being required for all racing where its not tight laps in a bay, which is simply more cost & aggro, and another nail in the racing coffin. In short, we are more than happy running without trackers, in the knowledge that in the spirit of Marathon, we built a boat that is strong, predictable, safe and has the best possible chance of getting us home safe and sound under our own steam (twin engines with completely independent fuel & electrical systems). At least as good a chance as one can have in a motorsport that has to be accepted as having some dangers attached.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #75

Quote:
I understand why the safety folk like them and appreciate that they could be extremely useful in the event of an incident that brought the boat to a stop with either electrical (radio) failure,, or incapacitated crew, but, I can't help thinking this will (if allowed to become the accepted/expected norm) lead to such stuff being required for all racing where its not tight laps in a bay, which is simply more cost & aggro, and another nail in the racing coffin. In short, we are more than happy running without trackers, in the knowledge that in the spirit of Marathon, we built a boat that is strong, predictable, safe and has the best possible chance of getting us home safe and sound under our own steam (twin engines with completely independent fuel & electrical systems). At least as good a chance as one can have in a motorsport that has to be accepted as having some dangers attached.
Jon, for once we are in total agreement
Old 22-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #76

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Problem is, the S/O that looked after RB08 & Round Ireland, both races using trackers - now feels that it would be a retrograde step to over see a long distance Marathon Race without them.

You could just imagine the questions in the enquiry in a worse case scenario.

We have paid for 35 trackers for the CTC next Sunday, perhaps Martin would like to contact me - He may be pleasantly surprised at the cost.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Problem is, the S/O that looked after RB08 & Round Ireland, both races using trackers - now feels that it would be a retrograde step to over see a long distance Marathon Race without them.

You could just imagine the questions in the enquiry in a worse case scenario.
My point exactly John, and not wanting to make President Case Law in the event of a worse case scenario going to Court that’s why I/We would want to be "Held Harmless" in the event of such proceedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
We have paid for 35 trackers for the CTC next Sunday, perhaps Martin would like to contact me - He may be pleasantly surprised at the cost.
Will give you a call tomorrow - if just for future use only, thanks John

I can see another side of the Tracker question however, If, and its a BIG IF, Organisers/Sponsors of Races had a Big Screen somewhere that was easily visible to the spectators it would provide a good representation of how the race was progressing rather than just seeing the boats off and back. Just an Idea..
Old 22-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
I can see another side of the Tracker question however, If, and its a BIG IF, Organisers/Sponsors of Races had a Big Screen somewhere that was easily visible to the spectators it would provide a good representation of how the race was progressing rather than just seeing the boats off and back. Just an Idea..
We have a 6 m screen in The Haven - and the plan is to feed the input.

It will be a trial for the future.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #79

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

good idea
Carl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #80

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Jon, allow me share the thinking on why the course was changed in the first instance. We were advised by a Senior Safety Officer that we should implement the use Trackers for the Race, upon being given this information we are deemed to have taken due cognisance of it. As there is no allowance in the budget for the installation of trackers and we wanted to keep the costs to a minimum we changed the course to one which would not require such a devise to be fitted, however, if you guys will run to the Nab and back without trackers (and "Hold the Organisers Harmless as a result of your decision") we will change the course back to Weymouth - Nab - Weymouth. What do you think? Please make your comments

Martin
Jon Fuller is quite right. The "Senior Safety Officer" is frankly a pain in the back side and I suggest not a real friend to the sport. He didn't want the RB08 fleet to run down the Solent, he didn't want the fleet to run close to Portland Bill, he didn't like the long run upto Bangor (far too dangerous) and suggested that Lord Beaverbrook was talking out of his backside and so was I and we were not qualified to comment on "Safety Aspects" and so on. And as for his comments to me when I took over the Cowes 2008 that "you can't put a race like that on in three weeks" was of course absolute rubbish but of course he does have influence (and friends) with the consequence that the RYA gave me a right rollicking over various “safety aspects” - with I may add with this SSO present - after Cowes 2008 but what the hell, we got the race running, once again so frankly I didn't give a damn.

I won't continue as my blood pressure always rises when he comes into the equation. May I suggest Martin that you talk to a few more guys in the sport who have actually been racing Marathon – like Jon - quietly before listening to such people? There are times when you have to take the race by the scruff of the neck and just put it on, otherwise the sport will be stiffled, Just my humble opinion of course.

As for having to use "Tracking Units" in the CTC and the South Coast Marathon, well, I'm speechless! Some of the old racers will be turning in their graves. They managed to run the CTC for 49 years without them, so what's changed? . Rant over.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote