Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

who is the senior safety officer

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #82
I don't do mornings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
The "Senior Safety Officer" is frankly a pain in the back side and I suggest not a real friend to the sport. He didn't want the RB08 fleet to run down the Solent, he didn't want the fleet to run close to Portland Bill, he didn't like the long run upto Bangor (far too dangerous) and suggested that Lord Beaverbrook was talking out of his backside and so was I and we were not qualified to comment on "Safety Aspects" and so on.

As for having to use "Tracking Units" in the CTC and the South Coast Marathon, well, I'm speechless! Some of the old racers will be turning in their graves. They managed to run the CTC for 49 years without them, so what's changed?
ML.
Mike, that SSO saved your arse on many occasions in the RB08. He got your courses agreed with Harbour Masters who would no longer deal with you. He worked tirelessly on the event for over a year before the race started - he was a major contributor to its success! In no way does he deserve your wrath.

What's changed? As Safety Co-ordinator for 16 years of CTC, I got large numbers of boats (and planes) doing safety cover over the whole course. One year, there were 104 in total! Then a raceboat driven by a semi-conscious crew hit a yacht in the Solent. Risk Assessments came into play big time. THAT's what's changed!

D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #83

Boat name: snow monkey

love the way people dont name people,the inner circle of powerboat racing is alive and well
Old 22-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #84

Trackers

I don't want to get in to need/no need with trackers....... but there is one thing that was great in RB08...... Thousands of people were following the race at home/schools etc.....

With the internet and the Marathon class getting boats back offshore, they make a great way to view the race

For RB11 Trackers have been proposed, RB11 have found this to be cost effective because it minimises Travel/Hotel cost with a reduced requirement for safety officials.

Also will help us to prove that we avoid exclusion zones..... keeping all other parties calm & onboard
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #85
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
With the internet and the Marathon class getting boats back offshore, they make a great way to view the race
Can't disagree with that.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #86
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Can't disagree with that.
same tech as this???

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
I don't want to get in to need/no need with trackers....... but there is one thing that was great in RB08...... Thousands of people were following the race at home/schools etc.....

For RB11 Trackers have been proposed, RB11 have found this to be cost effective because it minimises Travel/Hotel cost with a reduced requirement for safety officials.

Also will help us to prove that we avoid exclusion zones..... keeping all other parties calm & onboard
Yep!all valid points,much as I like to see the navigators tested.A real sense of achievement in bad conditions without GPS etc,as days long gone.

`Old Man` is just passionate about making the sport more spectator friendly,against the tide of every misdemeanour logged against the sport.

It`s almost like the Lloyds Shipping Rules,where every offence has the effect of making the rule book even thicker.An engine bilge pump fails,so next time we`ll fit two,and if that fails we`ll fit three.Forget the reason why it failed in the first place.

Give it a few more years,and every piece of coastline will have exclusion zones,rolling starts will be 3 miles offshore,QHM and his jobsworth mates will have justified their retirement posts, and tracker companies will be rubbing their hands.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #88

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

I agree with you Dean.

My brother in law has just done the Mongol Rally in a little Suzuki van and we tracked him the whole way.......we all felt involved with his adventure and he was safe!

The same applies to marathon racing, during the RB08 I could track my boat being towed round britain! We are still waiting for the Eddie Stobart Trophy to be presented!
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #89
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Not really - that is a VHF based system taking data from the ships on board GPS etc and transmitting it on a VHF channel to anyone in range - the map you use in your example is drawn from data taken from a number of fixed VHF antenna. The trackers for racing are standalone units although I'm not sure how they transmit the data - either GSM or satellite I believe?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #90
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

Trackers

Hello!
Just trying to pack the black tie, the umbrella and the race nickers for CTC.
Will leave tomorrow afternoon, but wife, two kids and sister in law make us 'race' wifes Range Rover. ( no fun car this time...)
Well, the trackers. When we sank in RB08 I spent some valueable time on the VHF giving our position. The tracker then was not that fast but it recorded well for proof to our insurance at least (they paid in full due to doods correct incident report and the tracker datas proof).
At the Round Ireland many people were following in the internet and if I see some of the senior members showing their kids impressions of powerboatracing, then my kids and their generation are following on their smart phones and will keep that impression.

It might be possible on RB11 to have on board WebCams showing live progress in batches.
Much cheaper then the helicopter and unfortunately in UK very common sense.
As far as we are told on the Continent one can't walk on Londons streets without being filmed permanently.
So if in our 'Brave new world' 'Big Brothers' always watching, why won't it make Powerboatracing more popular??

Trackers are cheap today, please open your minds and go ahead and plan the next step.

If the 6m display in the haven works, you will notice the difference.
See you all in Cowes.
Brgds
Markus
Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #91
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
love the way people dont name people,the inner circle of powerboat racing is alive and well
Not really a secret as it's all a matter of record but here you go:

The senior safety officer - Richard Salaman

Semi conscious crew - Tony Dowley, Chris Peeters. Fuller's Logistics/Thunderbird, Cowes 2003
Old 22-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #92

...Further to that, I spoke to Tony Dowley after the race and though friendly enough, he was fairly reluctant to give-out much information. He'd been advised "to not say too much" (presumably as a precaution and to avoid pre-judging any further investigation / enquiry)

The reason Chris Peeters became semi-conscious was due carbon monoxide from a cracked exhaust manifold... Sitting in tandem in that boat (Tony, as throttleman, was behind and higher-up) Chris was lower and therefore was affected first.

Chris was taken to hospital for checking-up / observation, but i don't think he was in for too long.

One of my favourite boats and worth a long trek just to hear that engine... ( possible from several miles away ! )

Sorry, don't know who to credit for the pic...but it's "one of the best" !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunderbird_00.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	25957  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #93
v24 rocks

Boat name: bat out of hell, tooti fruty
Cruising area: LA

cowes

R S is top man old school is the best V24 Rocks
bigdog v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #94
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

No trackers needed. Gordon keeps damn good records of where everyone's broken down

In all seriousness though it is worth remembering that your vhf is next to useless to race control if you are 30 miles offshore as you will be below the line of sight. The only people that will pick you up at that distance will be passing traffic or a serious base antenna such as main coastguard stations.
Old 23-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #95

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Progress is an interesting thing, evolution even more so. Sir Sterling Moss didn’t have safety belts or Hans devices when he raced now a Formula 1 driver would not get in an F1 car without one. As I said on this one I agree with Jon in many respects, but I do think the use of Trackers will come in and in the not too distant future. If they can be coupled to BIG SCREEN’s it must only improve the enjoyment and involvement of spectators in the event and advance the progress of safety.

We are changing the course back to Weymouth - NAB - Weymouth and will be running without trackers but all Teams will be asked to sign the usual disclaimer with the addition to hold the organisers harmless in the event that the use of a tracker would not have proved betterment for them in the circumstances encountered.

I can see it being accepted safety equipment for Marathon Racing in the future PB1 publications.

So Jon, having changed back to the original course, can we look forward to receiving your entry in the near future?
Old 23-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #96

Interests: again...same!!
Boat name: Dragon
Boat make: Revenger 29
Engines: 315 hp Yanmar
Cruising area: would be telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Vee's idea, @ 50p per hp is excellent. very fair and even divides within classes, not just between them. you choose a shed load of power, you pay accordingly. He aint as silly as he looks!

Might stop people exaggerating / lying about their hp too!
I have to say that I completely agree. Some sort of 'levy' should apply to those that can afford to run larger HP boats.
It would only encourage more newbies to come to the sport, surely??
I'm sure those with larger HP's won't mind me saying this, but if they can justify / afford the larger fuel consumption, then surely they can afford the higher entry fee?
Why did it ever change?
kickon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #97

Boat name: snow monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Not really a secret as it's all a matter of record but here you go:

The senior safety officer - Richard Salaman

Semi conscious crew - Tony Dowley, Chris Peeters. Fuller's Logistics/Thunderbird, Cowes 2003
thanks ben,i know its not a secret but unless your in the know,its all very secretive,with no names mentioned. anyway off to fill in my next of kin form for this weekend
Old 23-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #98

Interests: again...same!!
Boat name: Dragon
Boat make: Revenger 29
Engines: 315 hp Yanmar
Cruising area: would be telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Not really - that is a VHF based system taking data from the ships on board GPS etc and transmitting it on a VHF channel to anyone in range - the map you use in your example is drawn from data taken from a number of fixed VHF antenna. The trackers for racing are standalone units although I'm not sure how they transmit the data - either GSM or satellite I believe?
The newset ones 'store' the GPS data every one minute (or quicker if set to), and then communicate that information to a server via GPRS via set parameters.
Cookee already know this, but we've just launched one called Trac-It, it's really desigend as 'self manageing' security device, but can easily be setup to record and display a logged route.
For marathon racing, every boat could be displayed on a single screen, all in different colours to differentiate, and each boat's previous route could be highlighted and displayed . Would be fantastic for spectators.
Happy to answer any questions on it...
kickon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #99

These are the trackers.

http://www.yellowbrick-tracking.com/

They were used on a sailing race in Cowes.

http://live.adventuretracking.com/westwardcup2010
RMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #100
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickon View Post
The newset ones 'store' the GPS data every one minute (or quicker if set to), and then communicate that information to a server via GPRS via set parameters.
Cookee already know this, but we've just launched one called Trac-It, it's really desigend as 'self manageing' security device, but can easily be setup to record and display a logged route.
For marathon racing, every boat could be displayed on a single screen, all in different colours to differentiate, and each boat's previous route could be highlighted and displayed . Would be fantastic for spectators.
Happy to answer any questions on it...
As I thought - the Trac-It is more of a security device whereas the race trackers are satellite based units with live tracking anywhere in the world and don't drop out when they lose GSM coverage, no good if someone has an emergency outside mobile phone coverage!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote