Boatmad.com

Old 16-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #1

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

V24 2008 series

I see in this months World of Powerboats that Cliff Smith is running V24 next season, with a rent a ride scheme, 10k I think, Sounds promising.

Old 16-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #2

Boat name: spend it
Boat make: sr9 pascoe
Engines: 496 mag ho
Cruising area: Poole n solent

rent a v24

Are u thinking of renting one yung man

Andy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
2008 WC & 2009 V24 Champ

Engines: 2, 1000shp gas turbines
Cruising area: South

Yes your right Tony, Cliff Smith and Andy Twemlow are running a series next year with the backing of the RYA and are finalising the details as i type.

Currently they have 8 boats, 4 have signed up for the series and 4 boats are still available for rent.

The outline for the series is 6 races, 6 events, race entry paid for, fuel paid for, boat taken to event for you. all you have to do is bring your overalls, do a dunk test and turn up to briefing then go race. First timers will require to undertake some training by an affiliated RYA instructor.

If anyone is seriously intrested in competing in one of the best boats in one design offshore racing then call Cliff Smith on 07836717982 time wasters will lose there little pinky
Little Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
Fiona Pascoe

Interests: Lots
Boat name: Positivism
Cruising area: Global

Are the races separate (on their own) or with the National Championships? will the other V24 boats around be racing with them??

It would be fantastic to see the fleet back together again.. when Mark P stopped there were 14 racing so it would be amazing to see them and more get together!! beautiful boats!!
Fiona not P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
CB1

From what I understand from Cliff the races will take place at same venues as 3c, but will not be national races. They will be racing their own Championship for the season. Hope it takes off, as you say Fi great boats to watch racing.
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

There are 'unfortunate' rules with the series...

1) If you beat Cliff Smith more than once you get disqualified.
2) Marc Lamont is banned.

Other smaller issues... Where on earth did they get 8 boats from? I know where 8 boats are and Cliff Smith is getting none of them!

They have V2, V3 and the very old V1 and possibly V6.

The reason they will not be running as a National Championship is that they will not comply with the National Championship rules.

I would also like to know which sucker will give Cliff Smith - A bankrupt who is facing claims of fraud - 10 k ??
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
CB1

Wow Marc, thats fighting talk!! You not heard of the rehabilitation of offenders act 1972?
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #8

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I knew Monday was set to liven up as soon as it was posted
Old 17-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Large member

You have to question 'rehabilitation' if he is continuing in his ways. It will be fun to see him try take me to court given the facts. Hard to see who will take who to court first, given his comments about me.

Besides, someone should warn those who dont know that the man can not be trusted. Perhaps if someone had warned me about Springbok Mick I would have saved around Twelve Thousand Pounds, but everyone who knew kept their mouths closed out of some form of fear for not stating things as they saw them.

My point is simple.

They currently do not have the boats they claim to have.
The 'support' they claim from the RYA is that the RYA will sell participants a race licence.
And in my not so humble opinion, anyone knowingly going to stump out £10k to Cliff Smith is an idiot. Knowingly is the issue. So now people can know that he is not to be trusted, and if they still want to give him ten grand, then fine, but they have at least now got the warning.

Finally - anyone who buys a race series so that he can stop someone else from beating them by excluding them from the series is an asshole. And think for just one minute.. You arrive at the event, and get into a Cliff Smith prepared boat to race against Cliff Smith. How long to you recon it will take before your boats 'preperation' is hobbled when you start catching the fat bastid? First you'll get the good race props, then as you get better, your props will 'drop off' on performance, or one of the hundred other ways to slow a V24... The difference between a properly prepared V24 and not is about 5mph.

V4 - Boys From Gib got the boat off Gavin Brown at the begining of the season and they were hitting 75mph, by the end of the season they were doing 70's - for the simple fact that at the end of one race they would tow the boat back to London and fetch it for the next race, no work on the boat in the interrum

Simple fact is that V2 is 300 kg overweight. Every single v24 should beat him in a fair race. Even when his boat was 150kg overweight with Pete Little driving it, he beat me in conditions that were perfect for my boat and my boats setup. So there is definately nothing wrong with his boats performance or handling. He cant drive for shit. And he will ensure that no other driver will get an advantage over him in his series *IF* it actually gets off the ground.

The guy is a cheat, and will not allow anyone to get advantage over him, and will ensure that the boats are 'prepared' accordingly.

The only reason why I will keep my V24 running is to ensure they cant make their series a National Championship series and disgrace the boats even more.
Old 17-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

Cool v24

until reading this i was interested is cliff on b,mad to defend himself
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
2008 WC & 2009 V24 Champ

As i said in the previous post if anyone is seriously intrested or has any questions about the series, then they can call Cliff and speak to him personally and he will be happy to answer them. I think Cliff isn't on boat mad as he feels its is better to speak to people personally rather than hiding behind a computer screen.
Old 18-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #12
Large member

Gosh,

I better stop 'hiding' behind the computer screen, and tell the idiot to his face that he is an asshole.

Oh, I forgot, I already did that.
Old 18-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
2008 WC & 2009 V24 Champ

which idiot would that be? there are many in the world! and i'd hate to tell the wrong one!
Old 18-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #14

Now let’s get this straight Marc…without hiding behind subtle hints and innuendo ..shall we ? I’m beginning to get an inkling that maybe…just maybe… you’re a little down on this fellow Cliff Smith? I mean… I wouldn’t like to make an incorrect assumption……
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Old 18-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #16

Thumbs down Hospital Food!

Call me old fashioned but I have a feeling that when these two meet an ambulance may be useful. And on a serious note, at least Cliff is trying to host a series for these amazing boats. All Tricky has ever done has been to the detriment of the same.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Call me old fashioned but I have a feeling that when these two meet an ambulance may be useful. And on a serious note, at least Cliff is trying to host a series for these amazing boats. All Tricky has ever done has been to the detriment of the same.

Is that because he keeps winning? and others don't like to come second so they just don't bother racing anymore?
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #18

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

somehow I get the feeling tricky would sooner win a championship with 15 boats than one with 4 boats, also if I recall tricky did also offer money to participants that wished to race and not just in V24, he also organised a race some months back so although he may have some rather heavy issues with Cliff Smith I still believe people like tricky who put their money where their mouth is are desperately needed in the sport of power boat racing...like many I also find V24's are great fun boats to watch so it would really be great to see a large field back out to play in the sea on not sat on a trailer in some back yard
Old 18-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
Is that because he keeps winning? and others don't like to come second so they just don't bother racing anymore?
How many Championships has Tricky won excactly?
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Large member

Why hide behind a screen name, just come out, you know you want to....

Quote:
How many Championships has Tricky won excactly?
None, and I have been racing for four years, so it is about time... I did win nine of the eleven races in 2006, but aparently that is not good enough with the points system to win the championship. The winner won two races in 2006, and won the championships. 2007 was a bust from the start, as I was banned by ORDA from participating in Guernsey, and could only ever come last. Lucky for me the RYA have changed the rules, and ORDA can no longer ban me from National Championship events, so perhaps that is why there is now a 'private series' being organised?

Quote:
And on a serious note, at least Cliff is trying to host a series for these amazing boats. All Tricky has ever done has been to the detriment of the same.
On a serious note, all Cliff Smith and his 'apendages' have done since I won my first event is attempt to get me removed from the Nationals. Starting off with protesting me in every single event ( except the Cowes 2006). I had a protest at Littlehampton when my valves bent, and they were going to strip my boat then, but chickened out after holding me at Littlehampton for two hours - they did not pay the fee. They claimed I was running 'special' heads and 'special' valves that enabled me to beat Cliff Smith.

After I had broken the seal placed on the engine at Sweden by Volvo, I was forced to get the engine 'certified' by the RYA before I could race again. And as the engine was passed by the RYA and certified as 'AS MANUFACTURED', sealed and secured to the boat, many waited to see what would occur in the next race, my supposed first race with a legal engine. I won again, and won every race since, except those when I broke the hull. I have also continued to get faster, setting a new record at Conniston in 2006 and breaking that again in 2007. I now hold the World and British records for V24.

I have been protested by Cliff Smiths navigator for taking the wrong course several times, once when he had made a mistake transcribing the course onto his paper, and when shown his error still insisted that the time keepers timings should be checked in case I made a different mistake on the course. The same event I was also protested for the second race and had my GPS examined by ORDA Committee members claiming to represent the RYA, who found nothing wrong with my course. Duh.

I was also accised of jumping a start, and lucky for me I had a video showing that I was LAST on the start run. Which was good, as that was turning nasty.

I have had my fuel tested several times, my gearbox gear ratio tested, my ECU swapped over with Cliff Smith and previously with Martin Weekes, I have had four sets of seals from various scrutineers placed on my engine to see if I was changing things.

Finally ORDA managed to get me banned from the first event in Guernsey 2007 because I publically criticided the organisers because I was unhappy that Cliff Smith had removed my fuel cap in Guernsey in 2006. Funny enough there was no action taken against Cliff Smith for doing this and he remained a committee member of ORDA as did his Navigator. A Honda team was banned for 5 years, but Cliff Smith was not because he was 'just taking the piss' and was not intending to sabotage my boat.

Before I started getting good I had no issues with Cliff Smith. When I passed him at the line at Ramsgate 2005 he suddenly became nasty. It was apparent from that date that I was no longer just making up the numbers, and that I was now a threat to him.

He won the National Championships in 2007 - with an illegal boat - and being the ONLY v24 in the race - as every other boat had withdrawn from the series, and every other boat withdrew because of Cliff Smith or his Navigator &or mechanic. So of the massive four boats who entered the 2007 National Championships, three withdrew because of Team Cliff Smith - So I was not the only person having an issue with him.

He will run this series to ensure that there are other boats in the water when he wins, as I am sure even he felt like an asshole winning the series, but knowing that there were no other boats competing.

Andy Twemelow joined the series for the finals as a non national series entrant, to make up some numbers, and I entered the finals as my parents had flown over to watch me race, which had been planned 8 months earlier. Apart from that all the races since Ramsgate had been one single V24 'winning' the championships.

If Cliff Smith was truly interested in running a race series, he would enter his boats ( all four of them ) into the National Championships, and take his chances against people like me and Martin and Geoff. But he has decided he needs control over all the boats he races against, and so has run the series privately and with his rules.

If his team lost 40 stone (and became just overweight) and learned to drive a V24 as it is designed to be driven, he could then compete equally against other drivers - Pete Little has proved that Cliff Smith has a better boat than mine, even with the 20 stone weight penalty of the navigator that he had to carry at Cowes 2007.