Boatmad.com

Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

V24's, 2 Litre and 1.3 litre

ANYONE ELSE FEELING FRUSTRATED????? I feel I have to voice my extreme frustration at the lack of any publicity or race reports in relation to the National Series for the V24's, 2 Litres and 1.3 litre race boats.

Having recently attended the Cancer Research Race, which raises loads of money for a worthwhile cause, I was amazed that I have been unable to find anywhere, in any publication, a mention of this event, let alone any pictures. If I am wrong, please let me know. If this is the case what can we do to raise the profile of this series?

snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

National Results

At last,a voice highlighting the feedback of results.Well done Dave,you have my complete sympathy.Year on year it`s the same problem,only the national series does this happen and you would think it can`t be that difficult to put it on a website.Matt would put it up if only he is fed the info.For the last few years,the only way I update my records which go back to the early 60`s is to resort to obtaining the result sheets from the RYA,and that is in February of the following year,which is laughable.We get the first couple of races which is great,but then the impetus tails off every time.It probably has no interest whatsover to most racers,to keep a historical record of the sport but there are a few who take an interest.Surely this feedback is all part and parcel of the whole organising package,albeit a very low priority it would seem,unfortunately.So may I ask that in future the National results are fed through to the ORDA website for EVERY race.and as a bonus,the Boatmad threads as well.There could even be a poll thread to see who would like them posted just to get the message across.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #3

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Tragically it needs someone with your enthusiasm to attend and write a race race report to send out to the magazines and press. As you maybe aware these events take a lot of organising by not enough people. I am sure ORDA and indeed OCRDA would welcombe your volunteer publicity services.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #4

National Results

If organisers are obliged to send the results to the RYA,why can`t they be made available to the websites? The ORDA site carries advance information on some races,so why not add the results.It`s a good job WPPA,SBIP/APBA,OSS,OPA,P1 etc put their results up, otherwise they may suggest I cruise the worlds racesites to keep abreast of things.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
If organisers are obliged to send the results to the RYA,why can`t they be made available to the websites? The ORDA site carries advance information on some races,so why not add the results.It`s a good job WPPA,SBIP/APBA,OSS,OPA,P1 etc put their results up, otherwise they may suggest I cruise the worlds racesites to keep abreast of things.
I think that now the RYA have their shiny new CMS web site online, it wouldn't be too hard for them to post the race results on the Monday or Tuesday.

The club webmasters could then lift them from the site, and post on their own respective sites.

With regard to race reports, these can be tedious and time consuming things to write, and I think under the circumstances ORDA and OCRDA have produced some entertaining and well written reports over the last couple of years on their web sites.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

To be honest Graham, I'm certainly a guilty party here. Shirley often sends me the results, but it's sometimes a couple of days before I get round to uploading - all depends on how busy work is. And "right now", none of the historic results are uploaded - but I'll add them to the todo list if people find them interesting. I imagine Shirley'll send me some new results in the next couple of days to publish to the website.

FWIW, (referring to earlier post) The ORDA site does use a CMS - used to be Mambo, now Joomla since "the crash", but still much to do to get it slick.

BTW, all the photos are uploaded the the media site, but should there be Powerboats (I & II) K-Z folder? If so, it didn't copy to the cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

I sometimes get fan mail about Pat's race reports. Admitedly it was just from Mike Lloyd, but nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
With regard to race reports, these can be tedious and time consuming things to write, and I think under the circumstances ORDA and OCRDA have produced some entertaining and well written reports over the last couple of years on their web sites.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

FWIW, (referring to earlier post) The ORDA site does use a CMS - used to be Mambo, now Joomla since "the crash", but still much to do to get it slick.
Ever tried MODX? http://modxcms.com/
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Whilst I only have a single page per month and I don't have room for lots of results or photos I do try and represent Powerboat racing not just in the UK, but also P1 and Class One - if anyone has any news that has a connection to racing, records or Poker runs, please send it to me at cookee@btconnect.com and I'll make sure you get a mention in SportsBoat and Rib.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #10

Missing File

Don`t know what happened there Matt,I`ll send you the missing file.

What with the `Multimedia` saga,and then some erbert moaning about the result service,July has been a bad month for Mr.Webmaster.

I will add my thanks along with `Old Man`for the Peedells reports in the past.To get a lengthy reports on the National scene is becoming rarer and rarer,and these are added to the fish files for future reference, which is running at circa 14ft high.All these reports including cookee`s is much appreciated,so keep them coming please.

At least your honest,Matt in your comments re the results being put up.I don`t expect to see them that quick,but it would be nice to see them after 2 weeks.I notice Jon is asking about speeds for the last race.Just make sure Mr.Ciao doesn`t reply,as he can get tied up in knots,bless him.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #11

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Content management and the Web

I feel qualified to comment on this subject as my Company Goss has been supplying content management software to government and corporates for the last 10 years.

The problem is that it doesn't matter how slick the software is - it still has the bottleneck which has moved from the "webmaster" to the non IT contributor. But my friend who runs a little design outfit called Crunch Creative has just built a site for Round the World Yachtsman Conrad Humphries which does the following:

It has integrated feeds from Wordpress, pictures from Flickr, video from his Youtube Channel and tweets from Twitter.

It means that all the roles may be eaily delegated to those keen enough to do their bit but the content all ends up in one place. It means that corporate style can be maintained and it means that people can use the type of systems they are used to in order to publish content

Check out www.conradhumphreys.com

In terms of publicity get the clubs to collate a mailing list that can be shared between them. Writing engaging releases is key to publicity and that is a bit of a talent. But stick journalists in the boat and it wins everytime doesn't it Cookie
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
But stick journalists in the boat and it wins everytime doesn't it Cookie
Yeah - when do I get the ride in the X cat then?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote