Boatmad.com

Old 30-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

What a great sport we have

On reflecting from Cowes - for me after so many years involved in the sport - I still think what a greta sport we have. Also Cowes is still the best venue and the only one with the history and social side to an event.

OK - we know things are not perfect - but if we can just all be more positive, work together more, ride with the inevitable set-backs, be more supportive - then out sport can grow again and get back some more of its glory.

Was great to see so many old and new faces at Cowes this year and long may it continue.......

Old 30-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Well said Adam.
Yes, a good weekends sport, roll with the setbacks & try to change for the better for the future.

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Indeed - it needs everyone to work together more and work on the positives.

Mnay good things at the weekend and many good performances - but actually I thought one of the high lights was seeing Martin Lai and team finishing a very close second (after various set-backs in past events) - but then enjoying it so much.

No going round trying to be ice cool - they enjoyed their success and showed them emotions - great to see.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Interests: powerboats / Ribs / Young Boys
Boat name: Luna-sea
Boat make: Sharp 19'6
Engines: Evinrude 235hp
Cruising area: Solent

indeed

well done to all teams and again to the ocean dragon team after the disaster last year at cowes.

Well said Adam and i second everything you said.

Long may it continue. Had a great weekend.
odyssey aka Blue streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Totally agree Adam the quality of entrants this year was great and most were british.
Great to see the safety boats very much involved with all the razmataz this year and would like to here there views.

However the facilities in the dry pit area was the pits again this year.

After 4 years of the missus and kids coming to watch twice as a competitor, this year is probably there last as there was nothing happening.

Yet again the same as last year the BPRC put on a great race and some great evening events in all the yacht clubs ( if that your thing ) and the RB12 crew putting on some fantastic entertainment in the Yacht Haven
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

we got a lovely welcome from the safety team this year,unlike last year. had a good berth,and even enjoyed the cowes carnival on saturday night. dont do yacht clubs,just wish there was a beer tent
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
we got a lovely welcome from the safety team this year,unlike last year. had a good berth,and even enjoyed the cowes carnival on saturday night. dont do yacht clubs,just wish there was a beer tent
That's good to know.

Spent most of the weekend in the fountain. Highly recommend the home made fish pie.

I walked into the Panther P1 wagon thinking it was the beer tent.

I know the argument will be that the beer tent was not used enough last year but it won't be if all the functions are else where and they don't need to build one that can cater for a Take That concert.

Some facility so that you could haver breakfast and or a pint with a computer screen showing the Yellow Brick tracker would of been great.

( and a creche for my boy )
Old 30-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
That's good to know.

Spent most of the weekend in the fountain. Highly recommend the home made fish pie.

I walked into the Panther P1 wagon thinking it was the beer tent.

I know the argument will be that the beer tent was not used enough last year but it won't be if all the functions are else where and they don't need to build one that can cater for a Take That concert.

Some facility so that you could haver breakfast and or a pint with a computer screen showing the Yellow Brick tracker would of been great.

( and a creche for my boy )
Yes, watching the brick tracker in the marina was big highlight last year, able to watch it with interest with my son while having a burger and a pint/coke it was bliss.This year we went home after they paraded off down the Solent to watch the Brick, my son has called it a day,nothing at the marina to enjoy, we did not return. This was my first time that I failed to watch a Cowes finish in 37 years. It will be powerboat racings loss that my son has felt there was no point in returning, lets hope or I hope he returns in years to come!!!!
We though must congratulate those entries that raced in what looked to be on the tracker a great race, well done Cinzano and its crew and the same goes to Ocean Dragon Racing.
Lets hope the future starts today for next year event and that all the organisations involved come together with a plan to get this great race back on track for where it belongs, the no1 offshore race in the world today.
Good Luck!!
woottonwillis153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woottonwillis153 View Post
Yes, watching the brick tracker in the marina was big highlight last year, able to watch it with interest with my son while having a burger and a pint/coke it was bliss.This year we went home after they paraded off down the Solent to watch the Brick, my son has called it a day,nothing at the marina to enjoy, we did not return. This was my first time that I failed to watch a Cowes finish in 37 years. It will be powerboat racings loss that my son has felt there was no point in returning, lets hope or I hope he returns in years to come!!!!
We though must congratulate those entries that raced in what looked to be on the tracker a great race, well done Cinzano and its crew and the same goes to Ocean Dragon Racing.
Lets hope the future starts today for next year event and that all the organisations involved come together with a plan to get this great race back on track for where it belongs, the no1 offshore race in the world today.
Good Luck!!
Its a pity you went home.
Upstairs in Race Control, there was a laptop, with many gathered around it, & Simon Harley (ex commentary team) updating a white-board with placings, rather like the old Daily Express Boards of long ago !
It was for all race enthusiasts, not just officials.
We'll try harder next year, if money to fund a better facility becomes available !
The atmosphere in the Pits when the boats returned just had to be savoured too !
Old 30-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #10

martin most people dont know where race control is,let alone if they are welcome
Old 30-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55

Martin , I wish you could not of let us know via Boatmad forum, I supposed it would of been a bit cramped in there!!!!
Yes gutted to miss out, we need the beer tent back ,perhaps we can have a pre event beer or two for the forum members/enthusiasts etc.
woottonwillis153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Nick & I were discussing this, a beer tent / gathering point for the racing & race following community, with a big screen for the tracking system to be displayed live for all. If we have to go to the expense of these trackers (I thought they were feckin dear!) lets at least make the most of what they can give.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Nick & I were discussing this, a beer tent / gathering point for the racing & race following community, with a big screen for the tracking system to be displayed live for all. If we have to go to the expense of these trackers (I thought they were feckin dear!) lets at least make the most of what they can give.
Sounds a good idea Jon.
Maybe remind John Moore (If he heads up the race in 2011 - he may have had enough, who knows !), during the run up (But not too close) to the race, & a licence, permission, etc could possibly be obtained.
It would certainly be a good facility, but may require a financial input (From Boatmad subscribers ?) to fund it !
Old 30-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #14

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Just to add to that. The beer tent doesn't actually cost the organisers a penny, well it didn't me and it would have been nice for somewhere to shelter when that rain came down. Also, where was Joe Public? Otherwise a totally enjoyable weekend.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Just to add to that. The beer tent doesn't actually cost the organisers a penny, well it didn't me and it would have been nice for somewhere to shelter when that rain came down. Also, where was Joe Public? Otherwise a totally enjoyable weekend.
ML.
Hey does someone in marathon racing care about Joe public

It will cost money if not enough money goes over the bar and that means racers and organisers must become part of it.

I still remember being in awe of seeing Ted Toleman and sons drinking at the bar after they busted there boat.

Nothing better than hearing the Italian mechanics flushing lambos out after the race. Now they were the days.
h
Goodwood festival of speed is a prime example of how to do it. Not a race track but bloody succesfull at putting on a display of motors from past and present involving The PUBLIC.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #16

Cruising area: southcoast

cowes

i heard over the weekend theres a chance cowes could be slightly later next year and by being in september would save a small fortune therefore cheaper entrys probably ferry,s too.i dont see a problem just wondered what others think,would think it may help getting the start and finsh where it belongs too. cowes is still in my mind the best and most prestige event of the calender
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #17

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
ML.
I always thought the Beer Tent was a left over from the sailing week earlier in the month, is that not the case?
Old 30-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
I always thought the Beer Tent was a left over from the sailing week earlier in the month, is that not the case?
I used to think that and maybe in the 80's but not recently.
Old 30-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #19

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
No it's not, The Cowes Yacht Haven organises it if you want one, Tim Powell tipped me off about that.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #20

I think the guy that runs the anchor pub has something to do with it