Boatmad.com

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
OOD

Interests: Racing
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Wow, you mean you DON'T like P1?!

Your rant was irrelevant and unhelpful, and only serves to make newcomers question why they'd want to join the sport? Not everyone can afford to go race X Cats in the UAE, people need and want affordable racing and helpful clubs, which can be found.
If you are looking of a helpful Club UKOBA will do all we can to help please feel free to contact me

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #22

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Wow, you mean you DON'T like P1?!

Your rant was irrelevant and unhelpful, and only serves to make newcomers question why they'd want to join the sport? Not everyone can afford to go race X Cats in the UAE, people need and want affordable racing and helpful clubs, which can be found.
So how do reckon taking over a series and then asking teams to buy a new engine year 1 and soon a new boat is affordable racing? Or have I missed something here? As for Xcat...I have raced for Xcat this year and it cost a lot less than racing Superstock...!!! Cos guess what? There is prize money in Xcat!

So guess what the policy is at P1 Superstock....sod off all the Honda moaners and let's attract a new breed of racer...well some of us cannot accept that after already suffering what F4SA did to the series. They (P1) have used video of my boat on their site in promoting themselves and when asking them to remove it they say they had the rights and when asking them to produce evidence at the time they could not. The organisation is one that gets its own way no matter ...do you not see the History of what they did to their main classes in 2010? What happened to them? Last minute pull out and what did the UIM say about that? Check P1s releases - if they are still there...but of course today's news is tomorrow's chip paper...some of us will not forget they way the whole process was done and will not give up I'm afraid.

So this memory is going to haunt P1 and their cronies as I for one will not sit back and let them do it to others without warning them!

Check the recent history, check what happened to the main series, check out the real progress of Superstock year 1 and then consider what the impact was on all this on the m,ultitude of teams involved directly or indirectly.

XCat will cost you less if you team up with another so don't for a minute think you have to be rich to do XCAT you just need the balls and ambition to do it and then organise yourself.

And if you haven't raced before talk to people like Rob McCarthy and get your experience with classes like OCR then like Mark Walker you can progress to being one of the best drivers in the World and he proved that in the rough side by side with Fazza at the first turn boy...!

Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #23

Interests: boats,boats and boats
Boat make: Cougar 21
Engines: Merc 2.5 promax 150
Cruising area: solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy808 View Post
After running a superyacht for the last 3 years I think it's probably time to return to the UK and start enjoying boating again! (and paying tax!!)

I'm looking to start racing but I'm unfamiliar with the different classes. Is there any info on the different classes out there?

Which classes, in your opinion, offer the most, i.e, good racing, plenty of events, good banter etc.

Thanks in advance.
hi mate, if i was u il give brian (orda) or bob (ocrda) a pm,as both of them can help and are very nice and helpful people
chris
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
hi mate, if i was u il give brian (orda) or bob (ocrda) a pm,as both of them can help and are very nice and helpful people
chris
Second that
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #25

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
Jon, this is a matter of interpretation. It is clear that in the UK there are many people disenchanted with aspects of the racing scene - less so the marathon side I suspect but certainly within the circuit racing scene. I have personally spoken with teams and class leadership. This forum has witnessed statements from such leaders and there is a huge amount of frustration. I was referring to my direct knowledge of the events over the last three years through Honda - F4SA and P1's 'acquisition' and the way they represented the offering to teams and what they actually delivered. Honda delivered and left a very strong teenager...but sadly adopted by calamitous form of business mis-management.

People have no idea of the level of investment that was made by teams such as ours and how badly the situation was managed and I'm afraid to say with full sanction.

What is missing is a clear structure of disinterested leadership and that is a matter for the clubs. It amazes me that I hear so much pain from the leaders of clubs who all seem powerless to act. That is down to them getting together I suppose. The governance of this sport needs to change and needs to lead an environment that does not favour those who pay or support those who have clearly brought down classes through total mis-management and what's more then continue to support them for whatever reason clearly known only to those involved. I wont make friends in high places but I am stating what people are thinking but not prepared to stick their necks out to say.

I would not want other people to suffer the way we have and even the greatest recent team supporters of F4SA and P1 have now realised the downside financially as represented by boats for sale on e-bay and elsewhere.

My comment is based on real experience and people should be made aware of the sort of things happening. Call me the Wikileaks of the powerboat scene in UK if you like....but just remember that Cowes got paid much faster when I published outstanding issues here!

The circuit racing scene is in demise and the only way to reinvigorate it is to spend less time supporting people like P1 and it's 'associates' and supporting more people like OCRDA, ORDA, and other classes.

If you really knew what happened to Four Nations and the tactics used against them you would totally understand why people like me stick their necks out!

In terms of racing commitment - I'll be one of the first to buy a race licence this year though so don't forget that!

But something has to change in UK - if Channel Islands is working well, fantastic, but that isn't helping the 40 people who invested in one design race boats only to see the slow process of stopping them from racing (unless they totally reinvest!). The amount of fire sold boats has been astonishing and nobody on this earth will convince me that it is simply down to recession.

Hope this explains the context of my statement a little better Jon
I personally dont see what your problem is,you have Bob on here openly asking people to come and race,he will design a class to suit your boat/boats,why dont all you cougar/honda lads have a chat to him,bring your series back,be some spectacle if we all race together as one but in different classes,no need to bung them on ebay or torch them on your insurance,cost you a lot less than than racing under Hondas or H4s banner,only downside is you might not get on the tele as much,then again i thought it was all about racing and not having Scream It.com,Claygate Bathrooms,Hydrex,etc,. etc,. advertised on C4.I know how much you all spent on your cougars/hondas,my mates have got three,you cant sell them for anything like you paid,as the glut on ebay recently showed,youve got them so why not race them again? Done right thro Bob and maybe a few others,the new series could be massive and better still,a lot feckin cheaper.As it will be your own series no need to pay the likes of Curtis and cronies "fees" for wanting to join in or am i missing something?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #26

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Dowdy's spot on !! Thats exactly what its all about !! Powerboat Racing for Powerboaters !!

POWERBOAT2011 is moving on very nicely already 24 Teams inc 1 Honda 225 showing an interest, This will be the place for all your boats to compete in this coming season !! Race, Leisure, Old, New, inboard, Outboard.

Provisional info showing calendar,Teams & Boats etc.on www.powerboatracing.tv

If you have'nt already sent your forms in then please do so now (if you cant find it on here then email me and i will send you one.

Happy 2011

Bob
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #27

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
No thanks because I dont! I tell it as it is. And, unlike you I am qualified through experience to comment.
Woah, woah, no need to get personal about it. if you want to throw insults that's fine but I'll let you know next time I'm in the UK for that.

Yeah, sure, I'm relatively inexperienced compared to you and many others, but I'm definately putting 110% into furthering the sport in the UK which isn't something I could say about you.
I may well be in Guernsey, but I'm putting a hell of a lot of time and effort into managing to involve UK racers by sorting cheap travel, low race fees, free storage, races to Guernsey etc. As for the Honda/P1 fleet, as someone already said, bring your boats and come join us, we'll make you a specific class.

We all get it that you're pissed off with P1 etc, but why infect the rest of the race scene with your disheartened views? Maybe what the scene needs is new blood prepared to put everything they have into developing the sport.

Tell you what, come to Guernsey in the beginning of September, see what I can do, then judge me. Not before when you don't have a clue.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #28
living the dream

Interests: BOAT RACING
Boat name: i call her baby
Boat make: Aero-tek
Engines: a lot of horses
Cruising area: WW

This is a tipical thread ...just like here in the US ....

opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

MY ADVICE TO THE PERSON NEEDING INFO, DO WHAT U FEEL IS BEST AND DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY !!!!!!

believe non of what u hear and only half of what u see !!!! Then u go racing !!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
I remember many years ago, when my Dad first wanted to go racing he bought a small Fletcher for Class iv (now OCR).

We went down to Kent for a meeting, and enjoyed a smoke filled room full of politics, arguments etc.

My Dad decided that was not the way to go, sold the Fletcher in the local paper, and asked Steve Baker to build him a Phantom 16'.

The boat was built (2nd P16' Race Deck) and then taken to Chertsey, where a Yamaha dealer gave my Father a near cost price on a Yamaha 85 motor. (Not sure what the dealer is up to these days, Eric Smilie)?

We then went to the UKOBA AGM at the Oval Cricket Ground -

Hell was breaking loose!

Competitors were accusing the Officials of staying in the best Hotels, and so the evening progressed.

That was 1982, with good Club sponsorship from a tobacco company.

This stuff never changes.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #30

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Same Shit different day !! But some of us will keep pushing forward !!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Same Shit different day !! But some of us will keep pushing forward !!
Indeed - Once you get that CMS sorted, we raise £x for Cowes -

Should be a good 2011.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Competitors were accusing the Officials of staying in the best Hotels, and so the evening progressed.

That was 1982, with good Club sponsorship from a tobacco company.

This stuff never changes.
I always mean't to talk to you about those Hotels you stayed in on RB8

There should be a section called get on your soap box. Then again some would never get off
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #33

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
You lot are a tough crowd! Doesn't Cowes Torquay count? See you in Torquay Rhino!

As for you Davis ........... A good journalist gets his material from any reputable source but I deny cut and pasting
I thought I wrote the SB&R CTC preview & reports !
The report was certainly re-written from my original, as a description of just one teams experiences !
Never mind Cookee - we all know what you meant - I think !
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #34

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post

There should be a section called get on your soap box. Then again some would never get off
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
I thought I wrote the SB&R CTC preview & reports !
The report was certainly re-written from my original, as a description of just one teams experiences !
Never mind Cookee - we all know what you meant - I think !
Not by me! That was Alex the editor who did that.

I was talking about taking part in the CTC although I did write my report for the race alongside yours - weren't you credited for the preview?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #36

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Busted!!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I always mean't to talk to you about those Hotels you stayed in on RB8
What the Premier Inn? In '08 I didn't have Lenny Henry as a room mate.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #38

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Not by me! That was Alex the editor who did that.

I was talking about taking part in the CTC although I did write my report for the race alongside yours - weren't you credited for the preview?
Yes
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #39

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

'What the Premier Inn? In '08 I didn't have Lenny Henry as a room mate'.

Easy mistake to make, at 6ft 3in tall and black, I'm often mistaken for Lenny Henry.
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #40

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
Easy mistake to make, at 6ft 3in tall and black, I'm often mistaken for Lenny Henry.
And Ciao was Dawn French....