Boatmad.com

Old 13-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Too old to race.

Interests: F1, photography, tech, boating, politics,
Boat name: Joint Venture
Boat make: Regal 2250
Engines: Magnum 350
Cruising area: South West

Angry Nice to read so much rubbish on here! Memories fade, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I remember that boat and that team very well. They raced against us in the Guernsey Worlds in Cruiser B and paced behind us (Flippin 'Eck) for three laps and then shot past us on the final leg of the final lap, they had never gone that fast before so obviously they had "done something" but they got their just deserts because two miles from the finish they blew a drive leg, they never looked up as we passed them!! The next year they came out with the Guinness sponsorship. The boat turned into a real dog and went about ten miles an hour slower and upon investigation we found they had raised their drive legs about 2.5 inches. Needless to say that was first illegal in Cruiser Class and secondly the boat just didn't work with the legs at that height. I never did see them again after that Poole “Needles” race which was the one where Buzzi averaged 100mph in CESA!
Sorry to arrive at this thread two years late! Thought I'd put the public record straight.

1. "Wonderfire" and "Guinness" were two different vessels - both Bonitos, the first a Falcon Royale and the second a Black Mamba. However, they both used the same set of engines - OMC big blocks - a mistake in retrospect.

2. Nick Edwards was my nav. Don't think he raced with anyone else and have been trying to track him down without success.

3. We didn't race in '85 or '86, although we did attend Guernsey in '86 in one of Brian Whitmarsh's stock Bonitos and caught the racing bug there, skirmishing with Jonathan Livingstone Seagull all the way back to Christchurch. (And I'll never forget spoofing for £12 bottles of Bollinger in the driver's tent! £12)!

4. Wonderfire was built in '87 and raced from June. The first race was the Cancer Research with Jamie Whitmarsh showing me what to do! We got a 2nd in the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes and quite a few placings through the rest of the year.

5. In '87, we 'only' had to finish 1st in the last race at Bournemouth - with Flippin 'Eck hopefully doing a DNF - to take the NCB championship by one point. But (in front of almost the whole Wonderfire company who were watching from the end of the pier) we only did about a mile before breaking!

6. We raced with some success in '88 - mostly podiums and DNFs! When we finished, I don't recall ever finishing less than 3rd.

7. We did Guernsey Week with Wonderfire in both '87 and '88. The big boat always went well in Channel Islands waters. I think we got a couple of 3rds in '87. The Raven brothers were our big rivals there. We won Heat 1 in '88 and came 3rd in Heat 2 - finishing on one engine with a broken gearbox (although the organisers f*cked up the results on the day and gave us a cup in the car park)! I think (somehow) Bob Horwood won the Cruiser Cup that year in his Allround 'Penthouse'. Not bad for NCA.

8. Guinness DID NOT have "raised drive legs about 2.5 inches.... that was first illegal in Cruiser Class". This is total rubbish. It always scrutineered fine with no protests. Our issue was the port engine which had suffered a bit too much in Wonderfire and without additional funds we never really got it going properly, although we did get a 3rd in Fowey in '89.

9. There's a nice video snapshot on YouTube of Guinness - looking very cool in all black finish - in the Needles Trophy amongst the Class Ones, although we retired later with no power steering http://youtu.be/yFfE8TZQMG8 It wasn't only Buzzi that had a wing!

10. As I recall, it was Flippin 'Eck that was the subject of the odd protest. Colin Curran will know.

11. Guinness DID have engines at the London launch (but lacked water pumps). At least Sarah-Jane Varley did a great job of christening her!

12. Wonderfire went up in flames in storage sometime after I sold her and Guinness went for £5k as a kit of parts when I needed the money. I'd love to know were she is now.

13. BTW, "Dowdy" the fires were good enough to net me over £1m when I sold the company in 1991 - and it's still going strong today!

tonywonderfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #22

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Wonderfires

No match for the COSYMIZER which i made by the thousands for John Beaumont,outsold yours everywhere we put them.Nearly twenty years ago now and still glowing merrily away,spares readily available from SEAGAS,are yours?

Old 13-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Now now girls! Pokers & tongs at dawn lol.

I'm sure with some private investigations you could find both Nick Edwards & the Guinness Bonito if you really want to.

Let us know how you get on

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
Too old to race.

Talking Yeah, but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
No match for the COSYMIZER which i made by the thousands for John Beaumont,outsold yours everywhere we put them.Nearly twenty years ago now and still glowing merrily away,spares readily available from SEAGAS,are yours?
... we made money on ours! And where is John Beaumont now?

My team ran Valor for quite a few years and Willie is now a top dog at Dimplex.
Old 13-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
Too old to race.

Wink Ha, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

I'm sure with some private investigations you could find both Nick Edwards & the Guinness Bonito if you really want to.

Got two leads for Nick, (1) He works for a chemical company 'oop North and (2) apparently he's still in touch with Andre, for whom I now have an email address courtesy of the RYA.

As to Guiness, where to start? Was sold around 1998 to someone, I think, from the Poole area. Anyone seen a big black boat?

It was made of Kevlar, had a wing and was sold with a pair of Bluewater Mercs. Had some swish Yankee outdrives from a guy (in Littlehampton?) who's name I should remember, but can't. SSR registration name was Pure Genius, natch.
Old 13-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #26

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Was this black one (Pure Genius)?
If so I had a thread a few years ago

gaZ
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #27

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Oops just read above, it sat for a while at Eastlands yard at the front nr Midas
Don't know what others thought but at the time it was a nice looking boat,
The motors were out but the drives were still on at the time, 96 ish

gaZ
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #28

Cruising area: southcoast

bonito

i think i know where it is ,parlez vous francais
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #29

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

Think I know the whereabouts of this one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bonto page 2.pdf (111.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 13-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #30

J.l.b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywonderfire View Post
... we made money on ours! And where is John Beaumont now?

My team ran Valor for quite a few years and Willie is now a top dog at Dimplex.
So did me and J.L.B. Hes got a Ponderrosa in north wales now,ran Valor himself for a while after Fibreflame U.K. went up in smoke,his lad had a play at it but wasnt a patch on his dad,i was partners with Chris Ruddle for a while in mold,made more ceramic coals than citizens in the u.k. at the time,some of them for you Tony,remember Jimmy Lamb at all?Had a stroke last year,another one were we made zillions of coals and ceramic hotboxes.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #31

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
5. In '87, we 'only' had to finish 1st in the last race at Bournemouth - with Flippin 'Eck hopefully doing a DNF - to take the NCB championship by one point. But (in front of almost the whole Wonderfire company who were watching from the end of the pier) we only did about a mile before breaking!

6. We raced with some success in '88 - mostly podiums and DNFs! When we finished, I don't recall ever finishing less than 3rd.

7. We did Guernsey Week with Wonderfire in both '87 and '88. The big boat always went well in Channel Islands waters. I think we got a couple of 3rds in '87. The Raven brothers were our big rivals there. We won Heat 1 in '88 and came 3rd in Heat 2 - finishing on one engine with a broken gearbox (although the organisers f*cked up the results on the day and gave us a cup in the car park)! I think (somehow) Bob Horwood won the Cruiser Cup that year in his Allround 'Penthouse'. Not bad for NCA.

10. As I recall, it was Flippin 'Eck that was the subject of the odd protest. Colin Curran will know.
It still p......s you off then Tony? We (Flippin Eck) won everything in 1987 including being the 1st Cruiser home in the CTC (6th overall I think) in an average time of 56mph and winning the Guernsey Gold Cup - see pic! You guys tried to protest us but never succeeded - Colin Curren is dead now by the way and so is John Baker so let it go for goodness sake - it's ancient history.
ML.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Flippin Eck Team1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	34379  
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Too old to race.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Oops just read above, it sat for a while at Eastlands yard at the front nr Midas
Don't know what others thought but at the time it was a nice looking boat,
The motors were out but the drives were still on at the time, 96 ish

gaZ
I think that one was the Corniche 33 that was in another thread. I could see it was named Pure Genius but it wasn't a Bonito hull.

Guinness looked this attachment (poor image, sorry) before the wing was fully developed. Taken at Fowey '89.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GUINNESS (1989)_jpg.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	34380  
Old 14-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
Too old to race.

Wink Francais?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
i think i know where it is ,parlez vous francais
Oui, un peu.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #34

Cruising area: southcoast

bonito

Quote:
Oui, un peu.
pm sent
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
Too old to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
It still p......s you off then Tony? We (Flippin Eck) won everything in 1987 including being the 1st Cruiser home in the CTC (6th overall I think) in an average time of 56mph and winning the Guernsey Gold Cup - see pic! You guys tried to protest us but never succeeded - Colin Curren is dead now by the way and so is John Baker so let it go for goodness sake - it's ancient history.
ML.
I'm never p*ssed off Mike - '87 was the first time I'd ever raced or even driven anything over 18' long, apart from the Bonito demo boat!

Sport is sport - and you can't finish first if you don't finish. For us, unreliability was our Achilles heel, more from the original build than for want of a decent race engineer.

I'm sorry to hear about Colin and John (RIP) but I can tell you that the Wonderfire team never protested anyone. I think it was something to do with the PCRA committee and organised by Colin.

See my subject line on my first response to this thread - "memories fade".
Old 14-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #36
Too old to race.

Talking Found ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

... Nick Edwards, thanks everyone!
Old 14-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
Too old to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
So did me and J.L.B. Hes got a Ponderrosa in north wales now,ran Valor himself for a while after Fibreflame U.K. went up in smoke,his lad had a play at it but wasnt a patch on his dad,i was partners with Chris Ruddle for a while in mold,made more ceramic coals than citizens in the u.k. at the time,some of them for you Tony,remember Jimmy Lamb at all?Had a stroke last year,another one were we made zillions of coals and ceramic hotboxes.
Yeah, I met Chris and Jimmy at Harrogate and industry events quite often. Sorry to hear about Jimmy, is he OK? I think Darren's doing pretty well, he has an amazing internet business. Do you remember Steve Harris? We've got an apartment next to him in Torquay.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Yeah, I met Chris and Jimmy at Harrogate and industry events quite often. Sorry to hear about Jimmy, is he OK? I think Darren's doing pretty well, he has an amazing internet business. Do you remember Steve Harris? We've got an apartment next to him in Torquay.
Chris retired 4 years ago,sold C.R.F to his staff,heard hes got cancer,jimmy is frozen all down one side but still about,havent heard anything about J.L.B. for years now.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
Too old to race.

Cool I found some more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjfinch View Post
Think I know the whereabouts of this one
... pix of Guinness (1989) and Wonderfire (1987) plus a little write up (by Graham Stevens or maybe Dave Sewell) from Guernsey 1988.

Also a couple of shots of Owen Jelf's circuit boat which we sponsored each year at the Bristol GP. Sorry if this last is off-topic. History!

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fowey89Web.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	34499   Click image for larger version

Name:	CancerResearch87Web.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	34500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol1987web600.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	34501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol1986-OwenWeb.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	34502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol1987-OwenWeb.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	34503  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1988 Cruiser News.pdf (171.1 KB, 90 views)