Boatmad.com

Old 31-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
PRA

Cruising area: South Coast

PRA Poker Run 23 May 2015

As promised here are more details regarding the first PRA poker run for 2015.

The event is all booked in for Saturday 23 May 2015, running from Hamble Point Marina.

The course will be around 50nm around the Solent, with 5 card stops, a lunch/fuel break at Cowes and an evening party at the Ketch Rigger back at Hamble Point. The entry fee will be £80 per boat which includes mooring at Cowes and two tickets for the evening meal. Additional tickets for the evening meal will be £15 per person. Overnight mooring is available at Hamble Point and there are camping facilities nearby and other accommodation. It’s the weekend of the Spring Bank Holiday so come and join us and make a weekend of it.

All boats taking part must have at least one member of the PRA on board – membership is £30 for the year and registration forms are being prepared right now. We do need to impose some rules for safety reasons – vhf radio, life jackets and kill cord for driver will all be required, and your boat must be fully insured for third party liability. More detail will be supplied in due course.

Register your interest now and we’ll get all the details and entry forms out to you as soon as they are ready – message us on here or email us at PRAPirates@gmail.com

Come and join us and be part of this exciting event!!

PRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Captain slow

Boat name: terminal velocity no.120
Boat make: phantom20
Engines: 2.5efi smillin jack
Cruising area: solent

Count me in please,P20 merc 260 Smillin Jack. Who else is up for it?

andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Good shout Mike..!
Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
RINGPIECE

Interests: Boats and drinking Beer?
Boat name: Ringpiece/Pink Beaver
Boat make: Ring Ranger 21/26 Revenger twin 450hps surface drives
Engines: 200 Honda/twin 450 V8s
Cruising area: Thames/Pirates of the solent poker runs

Thumbs up Poker run

The beaver will be there can't wait:
Ringpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

Interests: speed!
Boat make: P20/ extreme 21
Engines: 2.5 offshore/2.4 mod vp/ 350 mag mpi
Cruising area: south coast

Count me and my dad in!

Malcolm Dopson
Phantom 20 merc

Steve Dopson
Phantom 20 yam

If you send any details or forms to:- lynda@itssar.org.uk

Cheers
Malc
malc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Interests: Bikes n boats
Boat name: Rampage
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Merc 260 efi
Cruising area: South coast

I'm in !

Count me in. R 18
Chalky White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Poker Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRA View Post
As promised here are more details regarding the first PRA poker run for 2015.

The event is all booked in for Saturday 23 May 2015, running from Hamble Point Marina.

The course will be around 50nm around the Solent, with 5 card stops, a lunch/fuel break at Cowes and an evening party at the Ketch Rigger back at Hamble Point. The entry fee will be £80 per boat which includes mooring at Cowes and two tickets for the evening meal. Additional tickets for the evening meal will be £15 per person. Overnight mooring is available at Hamble Point and there are camping facilities nearby and other accommodation. It’s the weekend of the Spring Bank Holiday so come and join us and make a weekend of it.

All boats taking part must have at least one member of the PRA on board – membership is £30 for the year and registration forms are being prepared right now. We do need to impose some rules for safety reasons – vhf radio, life jackets and kill cord for driver will all be required, and your boat must be fully insured for third party liability. More detail will be supplied in due course.

Register your interest now and we’ll get all the details and entry forms out to you as soon as they are ready – message us on here or email us at PRAPirates@gmail.com

Come and join us and be part of this exciting event!!
What extra fees should i expect as i would need to launch or crane & moor at Hamble Point for 2 nights as would be trailering from East Anglia.
Mark
Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Provisionally yes from me depending on a few things.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Captain slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childsy View Post
What extra fees should i expect as i would need to launch or crane & moor at Hamble Point for 2 nights as would be trailering from East Anglia.
Mark
It's £8.20/m for overnight berth,and about £30 to self launch.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
The Doc

Mr Mac, When organising, the words "aproximately" and "about" shouldn't be used.

Count me in, dependant on a few details.
Extreme 24 outboard
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
Captain slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
Mr Mac, When organising, the words "aproximately" and "about" shouldn't be used.

Count me in, dependant on a few details.
Extreme 24 outboard
I do apologise! To be precise self launch is £31.60.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

Interests: skydiving powerboats
Engines: tower power lover

fees

you can launch for free in lee on solent, with free parking,,cpl of miles along the coast
dejasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #13

Interests: My Boat of course
Boat make: Extreme 21
Engines: Merc V8
Cruising area: Solent

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
It's £8.20/m for overnight berth,and about £30 to self launch.
That's feckin daylight robbery...
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

That's about right for that area
Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
Captain slow

I think they quoted us wrong. Been on the phone to them, and it seems it will be less than that. But the night shift haven't got full info. Will get a better price in the morning. Hopefully.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #16

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

[QUOTE=Childsy;253317]Good shout Mike..![/QUOTE

Thanks for the compliment Childsy but Vee and I are not involved in this one having got the committee together to organise all PRA events in the future. It's down to you guys now to carry these events forward and to make them a success and for us "old 'uns" to get out of the way and leave you to it. Mind you I will be there on the day to have some fun like last year.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #17

Interests: My Boat of course
Boat make: Extreme 21
Engines: Merc V8
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
That's about right for that area
No it's not. I grew up in the area and still keep a boat down that way. I slip for free / free slip + few quid for parking and have never paid anywheres near that for overnight mooring fees. I think andy has made a mistake on mooring fees from what I can see from their website. Slip fees look right but they are absolutely taking the piss since you can slip across the river / up the river for feck all. 30 odd quid to use a slipway.... What a feckin joke...
Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
PRA

Great to see the enthusiasm growing – thank you for letting us know you want to join us. Can you now please inbox or email us (PRAPirates@gmail.com) to tell us your name and email address .. we may not recognise you from your boatmad name!!

For clarity, as Mike says, the Association has now been handed over to the ‘membership’. After last year’s hugely successful run, Mike called a meeting in November to propose the next event and to elect a Committee.
On that night, Brian Pelham was elected Chairman, Rose Lores as treasurer (but currently acting Secretary too), and Andy Hiscox and Andy MacGregor were elected to support Brian in organising the events.

Mike paved the way for us to run out of Hamble Point, and it really is a great place to start off from, leading straight out into the Solent, and with the Ketch Rigger bar and restaurant on site and very keen to cater for us.

We, the Committee, are organising the venue, course and card boats, as well as mooring for the event itself both at Hamble Point and at Cowes.

To take part, all you need to do is send us your email address so we can get forms and more details to you, and then just turn up at Hamble Point on the day to join the fun on the water and later in the bar!

How and where you get your boat into the water is up to you – everyone has different needs and different budgets and you are under no obligation to launch from Hamble Point. We are happy to provide info, but are not responsible for marina costs etc.

Looking forward to a great day in May,
The Committee
Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #19
PRA

We just posted the following on rib.net in response to a post and thought we should share it here too .........

We hadn’t stopped to think that not everyone knows what a Poker Run is. Here is a brief explanation that can be found on Wikipedia:

“A poker run is an organized event where participants, usually using motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, horses, or other means of transportation must visit five to seven checkpoints, drawing a playing card at each one. The object is to have the best poker hand at the end of the run. The event has a time limit, however the participants are not timed—winning is purely a matter of chance.”

Obviously ours will be by boat. We will be setting out a course from Hamble Point Marina with 5 checkpoints where each participating boat will collect a card in a sealed envelope. There will be a lunch and refuelling stop at Cowes, and after returning to Hamble Point and sorting the boats out, we will gather in the bar/restaurant there for a meal, a few drinks and a ‘presentation’ of cards. There will be prizes for the best 3 hands.

The course will be within the Solent so nowhere far off shore, and the boats will run in a group from one card stop to the next ... no doubt some at greater speed than others. We will wait for all boats and check that everyone is safe before setting off for the next stage of the run.

The local harbourmasters are all being made aware of our plans, and please be assured that we would not go ahead without their approval. There will be no need for participants to submit individual passage plans as the Association will have done so for the group as a whole in advance. This is most certainly NOT a race, and safety along with courtesy to other water users will be paramount. There will be a full briefing before we set off.

We want to be sure that all boats participating have 3rd party liability insurance as they are ultimately responsible for any incidents they may be involved in, but we will also be taking out insurance to protect the Association as a whole (and therefore it’s members) in the event of a negligence claim.

We have interest so far ranging from 20 foot Phantoms with outboards up to 37 footers with powerful twin engines, as well as some fast RIBs. Assuming good sea conditions, we would expect the overall cruising speed to be somewhere around 30 to 40 knots, but some will run significantly faster at times. Should conditions be particularly challenging common sense will prevail, and we may defer the run till the next day, or use an alternative shorter course around Southampton Water which is more sheltered.

Full details are being finalised and will be published very shortly. Numbers will be limited for safety’s sake, so those registering their interest early will have priority.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRA View Post
We want to be sure that all boats participating have 3rd party liability insurance as they are ultimately responsible for any incidents they may be involved in, but we will also be taking out insurance to protect the Association as a whole (and therefore it’s members) in the event of a negligence claim.
Having "ones" own insurance is just good sense

From the association/event insurance perspective, are you saying that your intended policy is to cover the PRA, which is in turn made up of its members (a membership which is being insisted upon as part of the entry). So in effect, should there be an incident, each members neck is on the chopping block as it could be deemed that they are jointly liable? If this is the case, should the entrants (and thus members) not be explicitly informed of this before they send in their forms.?

Its one thing thinking you've paid a few quid for a day out, its another thing finding out you're now sharing the responsibility for everyone that attends!

Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote