Boatmad.com

Boatmad.com (http://www.boatmad.com/forum/)
-   Technical Q&A (http://www.boatmad.com/forum/f5/)
-   -   Stretched gasket... Cut and shut???? (http://www.boatmad.com/forum/f5/stretched-gasket-cut-and-shut-22869.html)

John.Richardson 26-05-2013 04:28 PM

Stretched gasket... Cut and shut????
 
So I have taken the Vapor separator off on my promax 225 to clean te final filter.

There is a long shaped gasket that goes round the top like a very long thin rubber circle but in the shape of the separator.

Only thing is- it appears to have stretched or got longer as I can't seat it back in the grroove that it needs to go on an keeps popping out.

Have had a good try, dried it out and frozen it but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Could I cut it and stick it back together with rubber cement?????

RossM 26-05-2013 11:27 PM

They expand from the petrol.

Two choices,

Use superglue to hold it in place while you get it in place...fiddly but can be done, alternatively just order a new oring, definitely wouldn't cut it !!

sinkunit0 27-05-2013 06:39 AM

I,ve cut and glued one was fine

russ williams 27-05-2013 10:08 AM

Grease
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John.Richardson (Post 234704)
So I have taken the Vapor separator off on my promax 225 to clean te final filter.

There is a long shaped gasket that goes round the top like a very long thin rubber circle but in the shape of the separator.

Only thing is- it appears to have stretched or got longer as I can't seat it back in the grroove that it needs to go on an keeps popping out.

Have had a good try, dried it out and frozen it but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Could I cut it and stick it back together with rubber cement?????

Have you tried putting grease on the o ring and the groove it should hold the
O ring in place , I would not use superglue as this could score the seating in the groove.

scooby_hugh 27-05-2013 11:17 AM

Dont be tight! Buy a new gasket

RossM 28-05-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ williams (Post 234731)
Have you tried putting grease on the o ring and the groove it should hold the
O ring in place , I would not use superglue as this could score the seating in the groove.

If you've ever tried you'd understand, theres no was grease would hold it, superglue is the only option if you are re-using it, all you need to do is rub a little between two fingers then wipe the residue on the o-ring, just holds in in place, besides superglue dissolves in petrol anyway.

russ williams 28-05-2013 11:06 AM

Glue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RossM (Post 234772)
If you've ever tried you'd understand, theres no was grease would hold it, superglue is the only option if you are re-using it, all you need to do is rub a little between two fingers then wipe the residue on the o-ring, just holds in in place, besides superglue dissolves in petrol anyway.

Ross all I was saying is super glue is hard as nails fella and by the time petrol gets at it you would have done the thing up and damage done .
If the o rings are so far out properly best to get a new one.

Marinautic 28-05-2013 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John.Richardson (Post 234704)

There is a long shaped gasket that goes round the top like a very long thin rubber circle but in the shape of the separator.

This one? 26.00....

John.Richardson 28-05-2013 07:46 PM

That's the one! Don't suppose u have one in stock????

7-10 days from mercury and I'm racing again in 10!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.