Boatmad.com

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Venture Cup

I've been asked to publish the following, which has also just been sent out by email:

TEAMS,

It is with regret, I'm sure, that we all received yesterday's news about the cancellation of the Venture Cup. However we believe that all is not lost; the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) has a meeting today at the RYA to start to seek a way forward.

It is then proposed to hold a meeting of all interested parties before the end of the year to reach a consensus. This will be held both in person and online (through a live private channel) to keep costs to a minimum. If you could kindly contact either myself or Aidan by email as soon as possible to state your teams position: ie: are you going to race, if not why not, if so is there anything that you need or would like to be changed? We will try to collate all of this information to form a true picture of the demand and to create a race that we all want.

Once we know where we are, we will broadcast this information to all who have said they are back in this terrific challenge. It is our very firm belief that there is a genuine demand from at least 20 boats, so we have a race!

It's timely to thank Mike Lloyd for getting us all so far; with the support of his team he had the vision and determination to put in countless thousands of hours, (literally), on this project. I am sure that we all hope that he will choose to still be involved, albeit in perhaps a little less of the limelight.

We have to remain positive, supportive and freely exchange ideas and information to get this great event back on its feet again. There is a massive undertaking here and so many people want it to happen, we cannot underestimate the challenges ahead and the need for compromise facing us both on the sea and in the preparation for such an event.

We look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Signatories:

- Simon Wood Power
- Peter Dredge
- Markus Hendricks
- Steve Curtis MBE
- Ole Herman Finholt
- Richard Carlton
- David Graham Smith
- Alan Goodwin
- Aidan Foley

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Quick update. We're 24 hours on from requesting opinions from those that are interested in exploring options for recovering the event (with ALL options being open) and we now believe that we have 27 teams that are prepared to put the time and effort into working through the options available. We will continue to engage with all teams and then begin to formulate a suitable date for a meeting

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #3

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Please don't use the heading "The Venture Cup". That copyright has been returned to the Sussex Motor Yacht Club and is their intellectual property. Unless you want to pay for it of course.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Trade Member

Interests: Mountian Biking
Boat name: Clam Chowder
Boat make: Humber RIB
Engines: 85 Yam 2 stroke
Cruising area: Humber

Wink

The adVenture Cup?
Old 13-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Please don't use the heading "The Venture Cup". That copyright has been returned to the Sussex Motor Yacht Club and is their intellectual property. Unless you want to pay for it of course.
ML.
Never understood why it was changed from Cowes - Monte Carlo to venture cup in the first place.

The initail deposit was for C-MC not venture cup

As we all know organising marathon racing is almost impossible as there are not enough teams around with the money to race and then you want to set up a series. (that wasn't rocked science)

As you know Mike I highly respect you but there are questions that need answers.

Regarding the initial entree fee the enquiry now needs to be why did so many teams show an interest but never actually enter.

It would be nice to here from teams why.

I can give you one answer as 1 of my RB8 crew wanted to pay the initail deposit as it wasn't much between us but I never wanted to reserve a place and give false hope unless we were 95% sure of entering and I was only 50%

Starting a thread may be usefull so past, present and potential racers can give there opnion (as long as it doesn't get personal.)
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #6

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Never understood why it was changed from Cowes - Monte Carlo to venture cup in the first place.

The initail deposit was for C-MC not venture cup

As we all know organising marathon racing is almost impossible as there are not enough teams around with the money to race and then you want to set up a series. (that wasn't rocked science)

As you know Mike I highly respect you but there are questions that need answers.

Regarding the initial entree fee the enquiry now needs to be why did so many teams show an interest but never actually enter.

It would be nice to here from teams why.

I can give you one answer as 1 of my RB8 crew wanted to pay the initail deposit as it wasn't much between us but I never wanted to reserve a place and give false hope unless we were 95% sure of entering and I was only 50%

Starting a thread may be usefull so past, present and potential racers can give there opnion (as long as it doesn't get personal.)
You can ask as many questions as you like Barry but this is my last post EVER on Boatmad. Frankly I can't be bothered with this industry any further and at 73 years of age will seek interests elsewhere. Somewhere where there is no double dealing, back stabbing, duplicitous and just plain nasty people such as there is in powerboat racing. Everyone has an opinion and rightly so but after thirty years in the sport this is not for me any further. We are now being threatened with being sued by one of our sponsors, whose name we will make public later, and I have been working for two years - unpaid? So you can poke powerboat racing where the sun doesn’t shine. I'm gone.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
You can ask as many questions as you like Barry but this is my last post EVER on Boatmad. Frankly I can't be bothered with this industry any further and at 73 years of age will seek interests elsewhere. Somewhere where there is no double dealing, back stabbing, duplicitous and just plain nasty people such as there is in powerboat racing. Everyone has an opinion and rightly so but after thirty years in the sport this is not for me any further. We are now being threatened with being sued by one of our sponsors, whose name we will make public later, and I have been working for two years - unpaid? So you can poke powerboat racing where the sun doesn’t shine. I'm gone.
ML.
As I have said I respect you and your hard work.

I would like to add that all the teams that entered RB8 put in many hundreds of hours of unpaid work to get there boat ready and then spent many many 10s of thousands of pounds to enter the race. To make the race what it was.
We all got involved for many varied reasons and we all got something out of it, some more than others. (unfortunatly the video never showed the majority only the select few) but thats another story.

You never got involved in organising races for the hell of it you must of enjoyed and got a buzz out of it other wise you would not of got involved in something that was much larger.

All your team helped because they loved what they do. Its the same with car racing all the marshalls at le mans do it for love not money many from England.
That is motorsport other than F1 all other aspects of motorsport fund it themselves (Money creates many problems people murder for it) unfortunatly off shore power boat racing is not only very expensive it's almost impossible to watch.

Without the likes of people like you putting your neck on the line and all the competitors there would not be racing.

In the past my fingers have run away with me on the key board but I would like to thank you for your hard work for the time I have known you. Remember in Cowes when you took a picture of the revenger.

Regards
Old 13-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #8

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Crews, Boats

So guys, given that there seems a small chink of hope that this race may well be saved the next thing is to get "bums on seats".
What we need to do is to match people who may have a little budget and a desire to be in a boat with those the other way around, who have a suitable boat but lack crew and budget.
So if you want to help either by being in a boat or as part of the support crews lets hear from you.
Any potential competitors who want crew we need to be hearing from you too.
I am sure that there are loads of you who are crazy enough to give up two weeks of your life to be battered and bruised physically, mentally and in the wallet!
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennpromo View Post
So guys, given that there seems a small chink of hope that this race may well be saved the next thing is to get "bums on seats".
What we need to do is to match people who may have a little budget and a desire to be in a boat with those the other way around, who have a suitable boat but lack crew and budget.
So if you want to help either by being in a boat or as part of the support crews lets hear from you.
Any potential competitors who want crew we need to be hearing from you too.
I am sure that there are loads of you who are crazy enough to give up two weeks of your life to be battered and bruised physically, mentally and in the wallet!
We have a seat available - no experience required although you will need to come down to Devon and spend some time in the boat to qualify for a passenger permit for the race as the RYA have insisted that even "Back Seat Passengers" require some experience, you will also need a survival at sea certificate and a first aid certificate along with a dunk test - we can arrange all of the above if required.

Book your seats for the next flight here!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

UK Marathon Series

So here is another idea for foreign competitors:
After you have finished the Cowes Monte Carlo ship your boat back to the UK:
We are looking to have a 3 race Marathon series in the UK at the end of August and early September to include the famous Cowes-Torquay-Cowes race, a race around the Isle Of Wight and a race in Lymington.
We can arrange very good value boat storage in Southampton for you, at Drivers Dry Berthing, and you can then go by water to all 3 races.
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
v24 rocks

Boat name: bat out of hell, tooti fruty
Cruising area: LA

ven

Pennpromo did we have a meeting at the rya on Tuesday and ORDA. Have the
first Marathon race on the weekend of 24 May to 28.2013 Or did i miss something Cliff
bigdog v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennpromo View Post
So here is another idea for foreign competitors:
After you have finished the Cowes Monte Carlo ship your boat back to the UK:
We are looking to have a 3 race Marathon series in the UK at the end of August and early September to include the famous Cowes-Torquay-Cowes race, a race around the Isle Of Wight and a race in Lymington.
We can arrange very good value boat storage in Southampton for you, at Drivers Dry Berthing, and you can then go by water to all 3 races.
I don't believe it..... Said Victor Meldrew

Your banging on about a race series again

After 2400 miles of racing spending thousands and thousands you still belive there is money left to race a series.

Can I ask you 1 question. What was the main why only 13 paid?

A: The organisation
B: The RYA
C: Money
Old 13-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
v24 rocks

Vent

ML If you did all the work unpaid where is all the. MONEY YOU HAD GONE.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #14

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog v2 View Post
Pennpromo did we have a meeting at the rya on Tuesday and ORDA. Have the
first Marathon race on the weekend of 24 May to 28.2013 Or did i miss something Cliff
Simon is refering to the foreign competitors to be able to have 3 races close together !! Not the 5 race series with best 4 to count beginning with ORDA in Torquay over late may bank holiday !!
Old 13-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #15

It seemed a huge shame that having witnessed a brilliant RB08, that the vast majority of people raved about, and indeed still talk about, that it was not possible to re-run the race.
With all the hard work done once, organising venues, fuel, transport, accommodation etc, it should have been a far easier job to organise and run the follow up.
I also believe if it were run on a regular basis (say ever 4 years) it would encourage;
a) new teams into the event having seen the previous running
b) encouraged entrants to trade up boats, as wanting to 'do better' next time.
c) people to enter in the first place knowing that in 4 years time it would run again, giving people time to recover physically and financially and justifying the cost of boat purchase in the first place.

Respect to all those that put their necks on the line to try and make things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
As I have said I respect you and your hard work.

I would like to add that all the teams that entered RB8 put in many hundreds of hours of unpaid work to get there boat ready and then spent many many 10s of thousands of pounds to enter the race. To make the race what it was.
We all got involved for many varied reasons and we all got something out of it, some more than others. (unfortunatly the video never showed the majority only the select few) but thats another story.

You never got involved in organising races for the hell of it you must of enjoyed and got a buzz out of it other wise you would not of got involved in something that was much larger.

All your team helped because they loved what they do. Its the same with car racing all the marshalls at le mans do it for love not money many from England.
That is motorsport other than F1 all other aspects of motorsport fund it themselves (Money creates many problems people murder for it) unfortunatly off shore power boat racing is not only very expensive it's almost impossible to watch.

Without the likes of people like you putting your neck on the line and all the competitors there would not be racing.

In the past my fingers have run away with me on the key board but I would like to thank you for your hard work for the time I have known you. Remember in Cowes when you took a picture of the revenger.

Regards
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
v24 rocks

venT

Thanks bob have to have a drink now
Old 13-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #17

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Judging by last post I thought you already had !!
Old 13-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog v2 View Post
ML If you did all the work unpaid where is all the. MONEY YOU HAD GONE.
Unlike RB12 that was sold as a business.

RB8 and C-MC was not and in that case income and expenditure should be published.

Of course many hours of un paid work would not be included but could be recorded.

As I have previously said everyone involved in this race give there time for free. Entrants pay as well.

Racers need organisers and organisers need entrees other wise don't get involved.

Let's face it Guy does it for the
Old 13-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
v24 rocks

venT

Bob not aloud to say what i think has it get deleted by the big WIGS ON BOATMAD
Old 13-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
v24 rocks