Boatmad.com

Old 31-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #341

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Would also like to say a big thanks to Jon and everyone that made the races happen again this year, I think I must be a sucker for punishment as I enjoy the walk and part jog along that coastal path to Hurst every year, although this year I parked in the wrong car park so it was just a tad further from Xchurch or at least that's what it felt like

A quick question, was their a particular reason the course was different this year from others.
As it was pointed out before the race Hurst may be on the wrong side for the best view and unfortunately this did turn out to be true, although with a big set of bins it was not to bad but their was little noise as the boats were distant, so it was a bit ruined

Now with such a strong fleet, its a real pity their is not one more race just as their always used to be back in the day after Cowes
Course details at the western end were different this year, for two reasons.
Firstly there was a large sailing regatta in Tor Bay over the b/holiday weekend, & we were not allowed to enter Tor Bay.
Secondly, by the time the race was being approved by Race Approvals (RYA), we had insufficient safety boats prepared to cover "The Skerries", so we had to cut the course back to what could be covered by available resources.
Subsequently, more safety boats were volunteered, but of course, by then, too late to revert to the original plan.
Regarding another race - well I think UKOBA had intended to run Marathon Class at Weymouth, but I understand that as entrants were not forthcoming with entries early enough for the race organisers, they dropped Marathon & have P1 there now.

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #342
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55
Cruising area: Solent

Fury wins power prize

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/sport/fur...ize-45910.aspx

Old 31-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #343
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
Firstly there was a large sailing regatta in Tor Bay over the b/holiday weekend, & we were not allowed to enter Tor Bay.
So the rag and stick brigade have now managed to scupper this great event at both ends. With just a little more effort they can eliminate that pesky bit in the middle and be done with those nasty powerboaters once and for all.
Old 31-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #344

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
A quick question, was their a particular reason the course was different this year from others.
As it was pointed out before the race Hurst may be on the wrong side for the best view and unfortunately this did turn out to be true, although with a big set of bins it was not to bad but their was little noise as the boats were distant, so it was a bit ruined.
Good reason for this.

In 2010 & 2011 the race boats turned on North Head to enter the Solent.

The RYA was concerned that boats were coming in on a "Blind Corner" towards Hurst.

Hence the reason for using Needles Fairway this year.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #345

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
So the rag and stick brigade have now managed to scupper this great event at both ends. With just a little more effort they can eliminate that pesky bit in the middle and be done with those nasty powerboaters once and for all.
I enjoyed listening (a few days later) to the H20 - BBC Radio Solent radio programme which last Friday was broadcast live from Cowes.

Hosts: Sir Robin Knox-Johnston & Shelley Jory.

Shelley "So Robin, why can't the race boats run into Torquay"?

Robin "Because power has always given away to sail and it is the Royal Torbay regatta".
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #346

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Some nice footage from Portland Bill courtesy of Phil Morris who is getting married today!
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #347
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Ya gotta love Phil... Thin Lizzy & UFO...

Great stuff.

I have to say, the level of 'exposure' in Dry Martini is quite something...bugger that! Mike is welcome to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mike-b.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	35976  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #348
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Great shot....

...of you at prizgiving too

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gareth.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	35977  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #349

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Another Chris Davies Classic
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Ya gotta love Phill... Thin Lizzy & UFO...

Great stuff.

I have to say, the level of 'exposure' in Dry Martini is quite something...bugger that! Mike is welcome to it.
Is the crew member starboard side sitting on the bolster? Either that or he's 9' tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic footage with some nice editing to bring in the engine noises at the right time! Nice one.
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #351
Steve

2010 start

Slightly of topic, not sure if any one seen these before, from 2010 start boat!!
I believe they are from Mr Mace's son!

Running down the solent on the start boat, with FPT following.

2010 Start

and the CTC trophies

Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #352

You mean daughter, Steve!!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #353
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Regarding another race - well I think UKOBA had intended to run Marathon Class at Weymouth, but I understand that as entrants were not forthcoming with entries early enough for the race organisers, they dropped Marathon & have P1 there now.
how on earth can "The Organisers" expect entries to a race without a course, race instructions or entry forms?

Maybe of they had come up with some information for the racers there would have been some entries - personally I'm getting fed up of being blamed for the demise of races where the organisers make no effort. Once again it's down to John this year to make Cowes work for which all of us racers can be extremely grateful - all others take note!

Rant mode off!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #354
Steve

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
You mean daughter, Steve!!
Cheers Nige
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
how on earth can "The Organisers" expect entries to a race without a course, race instructions or entry forms?

Maybe of they had come up with some information for the racers there would have been some entries - personally I'm getting fed up of being blamed for the demise of races where the organisers make no effort. Once again it's down to John this year to make Cowes work for which all of us racers can be extremely grateful - all others take note!

Rant mode off!
Deja vu
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #356

Quote:

Rant mode off!
I'm of course agreeing Cookee ! I only "report" what is said.

The UKOBA situation was made by their "organiser" at the Poole Race in May, when he said, in front of a number of persons after prize giving I think it was, that unless they rec'd entries sufficiently early, they would not run the marathon race.
This to avoid commiting finances to a race which may not obtain sufficient entries I think.
At that time little or no pre race publicity had been circulated for their race !
At Cowes UKOBA stated that as competitors cannot enter in time, they were instead running a race in association with P1.
Its a great pity, as a UKOBA race from Weymouth was run two years ago (Won by UNO Embassy I think), & surely a repeat must be possible.

Perhaps Dave Sewell made the right point about a year ago, in respect to last years cancelled Weymouth race, on Raceboat Int website !
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #357
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
I'm of course agreeing Cookee ! I only "report" what is said.

The UKOBA situation was made by their "organiser" at the Poole Race in May, when he said, in front of a number of persons after prize giving I think it was, that unless they rec'd entries sufficiently early, they would not run the marathon race.
This to avoid commiting finances to a race which may not obtain sufficient entries I think.
At that time little or no pre race publicity had been circulated for their race !
At Cowes UKOBA stated that as competitors cannot enter in time, they were instead running a race in association with P1.
Its a great pity, as a UKOBA race from Weymouth was run two years ago (Won by UNO Embassy I think), & surely a repeat must be possible.

Perhaps Dave Sewell made the right point about a year ago, in respect to last years cancelled Weymouth race, on Raceboat Int website !
I understand you are only "Reporting" on what you have been told, but if you are taking on the role of reporter then maybe you should ask others (racers) opinion or do you agree with the "Organiser" that it's all the racers fault?

Ps I'm sure I am not the only racer not to have been in Poole and I guess my invitation must have been lost in the post!

Surely it's time all of the clubs got together and planned a cohesive race season to include as many as possible?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #358

Quote:
I understand you are only "Reporting" on what you have been told, but if you are taking on the role of reporter then maybe you should ask others (racers) opinion or do you agree with the "Organiser" that it's all the racers fault?

Ps I'm sure I am not the only racer not to have been in Poole and I guess my invitation must have been lost in the post!

Surely it's time all of the clubs got together and planned a cohesive race season to include as many as possible?
I said I agree with you Jon.
No, the race organiser/s have a duty, if they are serious about running a race, to circulate potential entrants & encourage their support.
One cannot take the easy route & blaim entrants solely - blaim, if it is needed, should be shared.
Marathon Racing needs more than 2 races in a season - maybe another from DDB in So'ton should be planned for 2013, but by whom ? Don't expect "the usual suspects", we need more promoters.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #359

Interests: Refit/Re-engine Woody's P18 and helping with D2S.
Boat name: Fugazi II / D2S
Boat make: Phantom 18 / Planatec 41'
Engines: 1xMercury XR2 / 2x 8.1ltr Chevys
Cruising area: Kent/Hampshire/Dorset Coasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
So am I correct in guessing that although originally listed as an entrant for CPC that 'Double 2 Shirts' never made it to Cowes?
Ben,
Sadly we didn't make it to Cowes, well not with D2S anyway.
Went testing weekend prior to Cowes and managed to dump half of Southampton Water in Starboard Engine.
Mark and myself worked all day Monday to find and rectify problem. We spent All day Weds and Thurs rebuilding engine and getting it running.
Then for some reason the engine gods became unhappy and the engine would not run properly.
We gave ourselves a deadline of 14.30Hrs to be away from Drivers on Saturday, but by 11.00 we had been told by the Man in the know with the Laptop that he couldn't get the engine out of Guardian Mode because it was flagging several sensor faults which he didn't have.
We put the old girl back to bed and preceded to Cowes to have an enjoyable weekend.
Still work to to do.
Next Year we will be there!!!

Graham.
Navigator & Engineer
Team MWA Racing aka "Double 2 Shirts"
SplitPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #360

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Quote:

Rant mode off!
totally totally agree with you John i asked about Weymouth race and was told get some marathon racers and they can come and race too but not had alot of feed back Claire x

Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote