Boatmad.com

Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Interests: Boats, kids and looking after the Wife HaHa
Boat name: Shamu
Boat make: Banana Shark 770
Engines: Mercury XS300
Cruising area: Solent

Optimax Lightened & Balanced FW gives Rapid Acceleration!!!!

Super Light Weight Mercury Optimax Flywheels for 3.0 and 3.2 litre 200hp 225hp 250hp 300hp

I can get these flywheels down to 4516 grams!!!!! See pics on my FB page David Webber profile pic is a rib.

If you want really rapid acceleration and a top end gain of between 1-4mph ( speed gain on props that are slightly over pitched) this is it!!!

I am currently totally out of stock and all incoming 2nd FW are sold!!!

I can only machine and balance your FW and return. All work completed with in 7 working days, but usually in 3/4 days.

For FW at 5221 grams that have no occasional stalling at tick over £150 plus shipping.

For " Stealth FW" these are next to impossible to see they have been lightened whilst fitted and very hard to see when they have been removed. The only way is to put them on the scales. I can usually remove around 1000grams PM me for info!!!

FOR THE VERY LIGHTEST FLYWHEEL YOU CAN BUY, A STAGGERING

4516 grams ONLY!!!!!!!

For only £250 plus shipping!!!!

The only thing you can buy close to that is a very soft aluminium 4350 gram one with a steel ring gear for a staggering $1599!!! Sold by a company in the US

Banana Shark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
2jz

please send pictures i might be interested. couldnt find fb profile

2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

I don't get how reducing the mass of a flywheel can increase top speed???
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #4

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

+++
Old 09-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I don't get how reducing the mass of a flywheel can increase top speed???
Simple way to put it is lighter rotating mass + increased rpm=speed mph

flywheels on optimax are so heavy 15lbs-20lbs. install 10lbs flywheel the engine as less mass to move in turn quicker acceleration and slight rpm gain
Old 10-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #6

lightened and Balanced Flywheel optimax

Of course with the 300xs the power stops dropping off from 5000rpm so less it has to turn, the easy it is for the engine.

This is why I have had such Massive success with my Hub lightening with Bravo 1 and Rev4 props. The stock weight for these is 6.8kg I get them down after working the blades as well to 4.75kg.

So the rotating mass the engine has to spin has lost around 4kg on the flywheel and 2.050kg from the prop end.

The engine is having to spin over 6 kg less weight!!!!! That's why it goes faster!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jz View Post
Simple way to put it is lighter rotating mass + increased rpm=speed mph

flywheels on optimax are so heavy 15lbs-20lbs. install 10lbs flywheel the engine as less mass to move in turn quicker acceleration and slight rpm gain
My experience differs. A light flywheel makes no difference to top speed in a car for example. A heavy flywheel just takes longer to get there. A flywheel is not inefficient, its simply a store of kinetic energy. Heavy flywheel takes more energy to spin to the same speed as a lighter one, but once the energy has been transferred the loading to maintain that would become equal.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #8

Test drive

Ok Beyond Help.

Here's a simple offer, your profile says the solent is one of your cruising areas, my boats in Portsmouth Harbour.

I'm happy to stick a stock flywheel (only takes 10 min to swap them over)and prop on my boat, fill it up with fuel and you and I will both have a go at getting our best speed.

Then we swap to lightened, I have a lightened rev4 21 and a totally stock rev4 21. Top up with fuel and go for it.

If I'm right you put a post up on here admitting your wrong, if it's the other way around, I'll find a large stone........and crawl under it HAHA

Sound Fair??????
Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Surely that's the prop work giving you the extra top end speed and not the flywheel? You can't change two things at once for a proper test...
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

Boat name: No
Boat make: Phantom 18rs
Engines: Mercury 2.5
Cruising area: solent

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Mercury fit lightweight flywheels to there race engines?? If they do it! there must be a reason why they have been doing it all these years!! I believe that it puts less stress on the top bearing, it spins up and down faster etc
I have fitted one of Dave' s flywheels and tested top speed before fitting it then after using 3 different GPS and all I can say is I gained 5mph same set up same weight , same tide ,same everything!
So I can say that it does work !!! I have also achieved quicker acceleration now. It hits the Rev limiter now as well!!
I just need a bigger prop now lol!!!
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #11

Testing

Firstly Thanks Hornet!!!!!!!

Paul the prop I was talking about changing to has had no blade work. Only the hub has been modified. However I more than happy to run any prop that is slightly over pitched and change just the FW. Afterwards I would like to demonstrate that the lightened Hubs work to.

This is an open offer to anyone on here. Also I am happy to swap the FW's over on anyone's Optimax engine 3.0l (I have theses FW in stock) and let you try in your own boat.

Pound to a penny you won't want to give it back!!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #12

Try before you buy

Let's really open up this Testing offer to Everyone.

Ok calling Mercury 3.0l and 3.2l optimax engine owners

I am offering a 28 day Money back Gaurantee

If you fit one of these FW's and your not 100% happy simply return it and a full refund will be given, excluding P&P

All I ask is that you test with a prop that doesn't currently hit the Rev limiter.

I make lightened FW's for all lots of engines, so if you want one just PM me.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Shark Dave View Post
Ok Beyond Help.

Here's a simple offer, your profile says the solent is one of your cruising areas, my boats in Portsmouth Harbour.

I'm happy to stick a stock flywheel (only takes 10 min to swap them over)and prop on my boat, fill it up with fuel and you and I will both have a go at getting our best speed.

Then we swap to lightened, I have a lightened rev4 21 and a totally stock rev4 21. Top up with fuel and go for it.

If I'm right you put a post up on here admitting your wrong, if it's the other way around, I'll find a large stone........and crawl under it HAHA

Sound Fair??????
Flywheel alone you said gained speed. Prop I ENTIRELY BELIEVE. Flywheel alone I don't lol
Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #14

Stick it on an engine dyno. Show me with or without lightened flywheel. If the lightened one shows more power at the prop then original (which isn't possible) then it would make sense. If there is no more power @ prop then it cant possibly go any faster.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #15

Testing

I don't have an engine dyno and I don't need to prove anything to you.

However I am more than happy to take you out on my boat and you can see the results for yourself. We can test the FW's , I have several at different weights and lots and lots of props in any order you want.

Or you are more than welcome to take advantage of my 28 day Money Back Guarantee, I will even fit it (and remove if you so wish) for free.

The results speak for themselves as do previous customers like Hornet!!!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #16

Dave just to say totally NOTHING personal, and you a quite right you have nothing to prove.
I spec build and tune engines and their engine management systems for cars (and now a couple of customers boat engine projects), and often use a car dyno (not yet found a local boat one). When people state claims on a subject that can be proven by physical measurable means, I want to see the evidence, or a sound explanation as to how said results are being achieved.

Even if it was a best mate of mine claiming something like this, I'd be the same, in fact I'd be much harder, and no disrespect to hornet, but the basics are you are saying by lightening the flywheel you get more HP at the prop.

What I won't question is that I agree it will put less stress on the top bearings, and also acceleration will be possibly quicker, so there will definitely be benefits to be had. Just IMHO I'd shout more about those and less about the MPH for the flywheel, and shout about the props if they gain speed... Then from an engineering perspective it all adds up...

Again nothing at all personal - just IMHO.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #17

Testing

Sorry Beyond Help, I don't know your name.

My theory is that the crank spins and at one end there's a prop the other a flywheel.
The lighter these items are the less HP the engine wastes overcoming there weight before it does its job of spinning the prop.

Currently the lightest FW I make is 4kg lighter than stock and my Bravo 1 and Rev4 props are 2kg lighter than stock.

So the engine has 6kg less weight to overcome before it starts Spinning the prop.

So if for example a prop is reving to 5800 with a 6000 limit, the engine is able to push those couple of hundred rpm.

Evidence can be seen on the 300x vs the 300xs engines, the difference is the 300xs also has a belt driven compressor coming off the fly wheel. The stock 300x makes 320hp the 300xs loses 15hp pushing a belt and a compressor wheel, it only makes 305hp as stock.
In cars power is lost on belt driven air con units and alternators, this is widely accepted.

However this is only my theory and it may be wrong, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work. I don't know how a helicopter flys, but they still do!!!

YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME AND TRY IT!!!!

I am so confident of my claims I am happy to go and test as is, return to the marina (there's power on the marina) and swap the FW over, whilst the boat is in the water for a stock one.

Then go and retest without refuelling (test area is 10 mins away, so 20 mins of extra fuel will be used before stock flywheel is tested.) and you will still see atleast 3mph difference, but more likely 5mph.

You can drive on both tests, as I will. I am happy to do this anytime you wish, weather permitting. PM me to arrange.

I cannot be fairer than that can I?????
Old 10-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
Dave just to say totally NOTHING personal, and you a quite right you have nothing to prove.
I spec build and tune engines and their engine management systems for cars (and now a couple of customers boat engine projects), and often use a car dyno (not yet found a local boat one). When people state claims on a subject that can be proven by physical measurable means, I want to see the evidence, or a sound explanation as to how said results are being achieved.

Even if it was a best mate of mine claiming something like this, I'd be the same, in fact I'd be much harder, and no disrespect to hornet, but the basics are you are saying by lightening the flywheel you get more HP at the prop.

What I won't question is that I agree it will put less stress on the top bearings, and also acceleration will be possibly quicker, so there will definitely be benefits to be had. Just IMHO I'd shout more about those and less about the MPH for the flywheel, and shout about the props if they gain speed... Then from an engineering perspective it all adds up...

Again nothing at all personal - just IMHO.
Im a engine builder and tuner myself. engine management systems accel dfi,Pro efi,hondata,AEM,fast,motec. As a tuner i cant see how its hard for not to believe DAVE in his findings. If dave can feel difference in his pants im sure a dyno will see the changes also. Now as far as dyno you have engine dyno and chassis dyno. Any engine would make less HP on chassis because of drivetrain. (mass,load) On dyno you power cure and HP increase with less rotating mass. Not personal its just facts

here is your dyno
Old 10-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #19

Video

Hi just watched your video, very good. However I have 1 question, when you say 0-30 mph a increase of 1 second. Sorry it wasn't on the screen long enough for me to write down.

Do you mean it took 1 second longer with the lightened FW??
Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

Video tests

If you are saying it takes you longer to reach certain speeds, you now need to adjust your props.

I ditched 3 blade props after I fitted my lightend FW as they simply wouldn't bite.

I now use Bravo 1 props and Rev4 props. I also adjust the exhaust tube/defuser length as you will find you get very pronounced stern lift if you don't and your boat will almost bow steer.

When you get that tube length exactly correct and you need to fine tune in 2-3mm increments, other wise you will simply miss the sweet spot. Takes awhile as from the trailing edge of the blade to the end of the tube is 68.5mm. I know what length to start searching for the 'sweet spot' on my boat and several others and from that info I can make a well educated guess what will suit most boats.

That " Sweet Spot" will give you a sudden 4-8mph jump in speed!!!!

I fully lighten, blend and polish the insides of the hubs on these props and can remove from stock weight around 2kg in weight, including the loss of blade weight as well.
This again gives them great acceleration and a Top speed increase over stock weight.

I have various rev4 props with the hubs modified and the blades untouched and stock props to back this up!!! This isn't a discussion I want to get into today.
If you don't believe it and your genuinely interested in purchasing a worked prop then simply PM and arrange to come and test with me.