Boatmad.com

Old 30-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Round Ireland Race

I have just had a phone call from Justin explaining that the race is definately on... Fabio has entered 3 boats & there are 2 boats from Greece & 3 from the US

All funding is in place & ferries & other items have been discounted or free

Justin would like to arrange a mtg in Southampton in the next couple of weeks for 2 hours on a Saturday

He will fly over to present the current race situation/costs & answer all the questions... the only boats that are missing at the moment are the UK boats

I said that I would help by letting people know about the mtg, without discussing the in's & out's of the race on this thread... who of boats entered & boats that are thinking about it would attend this meeting??

Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

Boat make: 9m RIB

I have paid and entered a buzzi 36 RIB. Under going its "new" look now for the event and also ctc.

TomLinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Also good to know,

Rob Andrews OOD & Richard Safety Officer.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

[QUOTE=Goinglean;178723]I have just had a phone call from Justin explaining that the race is definately on... Fabio has entered 3 boats & there are 2 boats from Greece & 3 from the US
QUOTE]

Justin is a little behind the times, certainly Fabio "wants" to bring his three boats to Ireland but it depends - he is not 100% sure, more will be made clear after tomorrows P1 extraordinary meeting. There are no American boats now going to Ireland, well that's not strictly true, there might be a 50' Outer Limits powered by Yanmars but again that is not 100%.

However, all of the above WILL be coming to Cowes including Dry Martini.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Ghost Rider

Just to update you Mike.

Only hours ago Barry Cohen came on to one of the U.S. sites asking Charlie if he had heard anything form the Irish!

What can you say,except get a grip! I just hope it doesn`t jeopardize their plans for Cowes.Even Charlie is trying to work out the logistics of it all,so it ain`t 100% yet.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
tomorrows P1 extraordinary meeting.
ML.
Problems?
Old 31-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

Cruising area: southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
Problems?
We will know that on April Fool's Day ...
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #8

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

[QUOTE=OldMan;178742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
I have just had a phone call from Justin explaining that the race is definately on... Fabio has entered 3 boats & there are 2 boats from Greece & 3 from the US
QUOTE]

Fabio "wants" to bring his three boats to Ireland but it depends - he is not 100% sure, more will be made clear after tomorrows P1 extraordinary meeting. There are no American boats now going to Ireland, well that's not strictly true, there might be a 50' Outer Limits powered by Yanmars but again that is not 100%.

However, all of the above WILL be coming to Cowes including Dry Martini.
ML.
Just wanted to jump in and clear up some information here. We were originally invited to come over and bring three boats. Ghost Rider, Dry Martini and Benihana. We asked if it would be possible to leave the boats over there until Cowes. They said sure, no problem.

The Benihana was going to get new engines and drives, provided by a major manufacturer, in return for the expected press coverage from both races. We got a call telling us that the manufacturer was running behind in delivering orders in hand and they were selling the engines and drives we were promised. Hey, that's disappointing, but that is business, we understand.

Ghost Rider's owner had originally agreed because he was looking at the first dates that were published for the race. When he found out the dates had been changed, he called me from Europe and said that he had a conflict with the dates. He had just invested 40million euros into a new medical invention and was scheduled for a big showing to the medical community on that week. He was not going to be able to come.

Dry Martini originally had a restoration schedule based on Cowes. When I contacted the owner with the Ireland offer, he told me that he would try to push it and be ready. In the meantime, he also took on another historic restoration for Cowes and was caught between the two schedules. He informed me he would not make the Irish race, but would be there for Cowes.

These three boats could not come, due to no fault of the race organizers.

In the meantime, I asked a friend of mine if he was interested in going to Ireland as his boat was ready to go. He agreed and I informed the Irish that the original boats would not be coming, but we could bring another boat....not a historic one...if that was okay. They said yes.

This is all happening as we speak. The water test for the new boat is next Monday and Tuesday in Florida. It is a 50 foot Nor Tech, with triple Yanmar's and Arneson drives. Bobby Saccenti and myself, along with the owner of the boat would be crew.

Once the water test is done, we will load up our race gear and seal the boat with shrink wrap and take it to the port for shipping over. We very much want to do this. This may be the last hurrah for Bobby and me, as we are starting to get a little long in the tooth...(Sorry, Dag Pike) We are preparing to win. We have almost the max size engines for Class B and we feel that we have a strong chance to do this.

It has been very enjoyable to prepare this boat....... as when we had some questions with the Arneson drives, we simply called Howard Arneson who answered any and all questions and offered some suggestions. Bobby and I were there when Howard first showed up with his "new idea drives". So we all go a long way back.

Bobby and I have invitations to crew on boats for Cowes, but those boats are already over there. I cannot speak for the other boats on whether they will be there or not.

We hope the competitors will welcome us and we look forward to a great race with some good competition. Anything we can do to make the race happen as planned, you can count on us.
Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Would be nice to see yourself and Bob Saccenti in Cowes. Very cool.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #10

Top Banana- I look forward to meeting you greatly and it will be a pleasure to run against you. I hope testing goes well.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
Problems?
Just heard a little story that I hope is April fools or just plain old got it wrong!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #12

Cookee - if it's what I heard at the start of the week about a mix of the following words .....two, years, suspension, focus, ....then there could be some very interesting days ahead.
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #13

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Just heard a little story that I hope is April fools or just plain old got it wrong!
Would the last one to leave please turn off the lights!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #14

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Would be nice to see yourself and Bob Saccenti in Cowes. Very cool.
Thank you Jon. We are excited about being there and picking up the mantle left behind by Betty Cook and Bill Elsworth with their Cowes wins.

Top Banana- I look forward to meeting you greatly and it will be a pleasure to run against you. I hope testing goes well. Tom Linley

Thank you also Tom, we are looking forward to meeting the new modern era racers in Europe. As a far as running against us.....don't pick on the old guys too much. LOL.

Sorry to hear about the P1 news today. This sport is so hard to get traction. I only wish everyone concerned the very best in going forward.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
We are excited about being there and picking up the mantle left behind by Betty Cook and Bill Elsworth with their Cowes wins.
Was that a pun? Mike Mantle Betty Cook's CTC navigator will be at Cowes!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Was that a pun? Mike Mantle Betty Cook's CTC navigator will be at Cowes!
No.....just a figure of speech......but that is a good idea if he was the winning navigator, that would be great.

By the way who did Billy use when he won? I remember Richie Powers was his throttleman?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
if he was the winning navigator, that would be great.
Last time I saw him - He thought he was.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #18

Hannes Hohinc has entered his 39 RIB today. I am receiving alot more info and updates regulary on email now from the organisers, seems to be moving forward and getting their act together,
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #19

Update

I couldn't make the meeting yesterday. Both myself and bounty hunter glenn are based in antibes and wondering if anyone had any news. Cheers.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #20

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

I was at the meeting in Port Solent, along with three UK based teams who needed to hear from Justin that everthing was in place before they signed up. Justin was happy to report that all the finance to not only stage the race, but all the shore side activity as well, is now in place.
The re-fueling was discussed and it will mirror RB08, in fact I think its the same company who supplied the Tesco 99 fuel for Mike Lloyd.
The race route was discussed at great length and once the OOD has rubber stamped it, copies will be emailed to competitors later on this week. The Lay Day options were mentioned, but with fingers crossed that shouldn't caused a problem.
As to teams competing a realistic figure for the first event is going to be 25.
At each stop-over will there will be a party/prize giving paid and organised by the venue, who I imagine will be trying to out do each other.
Justin also mentioned that plans are now under way for Around Ireland 2014 and 2018 races.

Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote