Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Re: Re: Magnetic healing

Quote:
Originally posted by OLD PHART
But old arthritic Ben who was 12 when he started to suffer was on tablets at 20 quid a month. We put one of the pet collars on him and noticed an improvement within days, after 3 weeks was off the tablets and behaving almost like a puppy.
I've since diposed of the collar Now if I can only stop peeing on the carpet.

Old 22-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #62

Interests: Rum. Pirates. And West Cornwall pasties.
Boat name: Any suggestions?
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury 200 Black Max
Cruising area: The Bay of 'E'

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boat Dude
Those "Power Boosting" resistors just wire in series with the ECU engine temp sensor and so make the ECU think the engine is cold not lean. Cold engines require more fuel (choke) and so the ECU goes into (or rather never gets out of) fuel enrichment mode. So in short it doesn't add more air it just makes the engine run rich. Great if you want it to idle like a bag of poo, pop, bang and burn lots of fuel but shite if you want it to do anything else.
Very true JBD. I couldn't remember the exact way they tapped into the system (I've been out of auto electrics for seven years) but all it's doing is 'fooling the computer' as you say.
Best volume I've ever read on the subject is

'How to understand, service and modify Bosch fuel injection and engine management' by Charles O. Probst, SAE (ISBN 0-8376-0300-5)

There were all kinds of dodges for these systems, ranging from rigging a cold-air supply by removing air-intake heating, variable resistor on the coolant temperature sensor and even rigging a driver-operated switch to actuate the cold-start enrichment injector on demand (although this will cause mixture to vary widely between cylinders, as the single injector cannot supply each pot evenly, and was never designed for this sort of use anyway.)

There's only so much you can do. It's really 'Robbing Peter to pay Paul' as they say. Gaining in some areas at the expense of others.

Right. I'm off to look for a high-lift camshaft for me Black Max.

Old 22-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #63

Boat make: Fletcher Arrowflyte
Engines: Mercury 75

Quote:
Originally posted by Burty
IMO just having a re map will not have any noticable difference unless of course its a turbo'd motor
Quote:
Can someone explain to me how re mapping a NA car makes more power.
Yeah, the car is a turbo'd one. Other owners claim it's win-win with better mid-range as well as top-end & fuel economy! Only downside seems to be £450 for the map & increased insurance costs. What makes me a little sceptical is why the manufacturer doesn't 're-map' as standard. What's the downside? I guess it's marketing driven.

I guess you'd re-map a N/A car if your intention was not to increase power but to change the driving characteristics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Burnett
I 'believe' in re-maps - something good in everything I see'
Abba, wasn't it?
Very Good!
TheOrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to Burty
less reliability dude,, more load on engine need a rebuild more often etc
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #65

Why don't they do it as standard?

Why don't Vauxhall punt out the BTCC engine in the roadgoing models? Exactly. The stock engine is a good all-round 'One size fits all' compromise between performance, reliabilty and economy. And price.

Besides, if they did 'max' it from the start then there'd be no 'magic chip' for them to sell you later when you decide you want more grunt!

I used to do a lot of electrical work with an engine tuning company and their head honcho used to say that if you want more grunt from your road car then just buy a more powerful car and be done with it. They did some majorly expensive tweaks to engines for a few BHP gain, but only because the customer's car was constrained by racing formula rules.
No point on the road, because you can drive whatever you can afford to put fuel in and pay insurance on.
Old 22-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #66
hello

Quote:
Why don't they do it as standard?

Why don't Vauxhall punt out the BTCC engine in the roadgoing models? Exactly. The stock engine is a good all-round 'One size fits all' compromise between performance, reliabilty and economy. And price.

Besides, if they did 'max' it from the start then there'd be no 'magic chip' for them to sell you later when you decide you want more grunt!
That makes it sound like they put the same engine in all models just with different chips and that they can all be upgraded to BTCC spec with a 'magic chip' as you put it. I know you didnt really mean what it sounds like you said, so what did you mean?
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #67

Mercury Verado - aren't all the 6 models identical motors with different maps?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #68

Quote:
That makes it sound like they put the same engine in all models just with different chips and that they can all be upgraded to BTCC spec with a 'magic chip' as you put it. I know you didnt really mean what it sounds like you said, so what did you mean?
No, what I meant was that the vast majority of roadgoing customers wouldn't need or want the extra power when they bear in mind the subsequent decrease in fuel consumption and massively increased servicing costs associated with having an engine that's tuned to the max. (The BTCC line was just an exaggeration to stress the point. There's a LOT more to a BTCC engine than a chip, as you correctly say)

If a manufacturer wanted to offer a 25% hike in power in one of his models, would he supply a Nitride cranked, gas-flowed, high-lift cam equipped, uprated injectored, etc..etc.. race engined version of his 2 litre saloon at a cost of ££££££'s and the subsequent increased servicing costs and potential warranty claims of such a highly-strung bit of kit?
(Especially when it finds its way into the less-than-sympathetic or capable hands of Mr and Mrs Average driver)

- Or would he just offer a 3 litre or a Turbo version as an option for those enthusiasts who want the extra power?

BMW however, do sell a high-performance ECU for the Mini as it goes. Don't know a lot about what it does though, ie whether it's worth the money.
Old 23-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #69
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
Mercury Verado - aren't all the 6 models identical motors with different maps?
Its a forced induction motor!!!
Old 23-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #70
hello

Quote:
BMW however, do sell a high-performance ECU for the Mini as it goes. Don't know a lot about what it does though, ie whether it's worth the money.
Also forced induction!!!

We are talking about re-mapping NA motors, there is no question that 'chipping' (along with an increase in boost pressure) a forced induction motor increases the power.
Old 23-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #71

Yeh, but it's s supercharger, so you can't control boost without changing the pulleys - or can you?

Quote:
Its a forced induction motor!!!
Old 23-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #72
hello

If they cant and they truely are all the same then how can the 150 hp produce 125 hp less than the 275 whilst taking in the same amount of air per induction cycle? By only changing the fuel and igniton characteristics how would they get it to run perfectly (not lean) and use considerably less fuel?
Old 23-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #73

Cos I the 150 is a 4 cyl. That's why I said the "6 models" - ie the straight sixes.
Old 23-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #74
hello

What hp are the 6 cylinder models? My original question still applies between the least and most powerfull models (6cyl.) though. Anybody know the answer?
Old 23-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #75
hello

Know one as yet has given a plausable explanation as to how you can increase or decrease a normally aspirated healthy engines power output and give the respective gian or loss in fuel economy by meerly altering the fuel or igniton characteristics and at the same time keep the engine running sweet as a nut?

Does anybody know? Cus I don't!!!
Old 24-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #76

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Just found this,
dyno sheet and explanation......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Saver-Vau...mZ230042007881
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #77

Boat make: Phantom 21, Plancraft Seaflite
Engines: Merc V6, mercruiser V8
Cruising area: Littlehampton, Fowey

Send a message via Yahoo to marshan162
Over 100 items tested, all types . Not one worked

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm
marshan162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #78
hello

What not even the 'SCATPAC Vacuum Vapor Induction System' or the 'Malpassi Filter King', I'm stunned!!!

Surely the 'Electro-Dyne Superchoke', 'Super-Mag Fuel Extender' and the 'Special Formula Ignition Advance Springs' must have all worked!!!

If you fitted them all then maybe that would work?
Old 24-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #79
hello

The 'Grancor Air Computer', now that one has to work. Its a computer, how can it not work!!!
Old 24-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #80

Interests: Extreme Sports, Cars, Boats

Send a message via MSN to Rupert Munro
Guess that settles it then! At last...

Rupert Munro is offline   Reply With Quote