Boatmad.com

Old 13-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #41

Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Boat make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engines: Verado 350 Sci
Cruising area: Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
Same here mate GSXR1100'S kAWASAKI 1000/GPZ Turbo but none have the instant grunt of a tweaked V-Twin,

BTW you do know I am the Guernsey driving examiner for cars/lorries/bikes, and you have just confessed to cutting your L plates down!

Dont worry mate it doesnt bother me (unless you bring it up for test)

Steve

TonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #42

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Freddy that's incredible! What a hero!

I saw Eric Teboul run the quickest ever 2 wheeled 1/4 mile on his rocket bike last year (or maybe '09?) at Santa Pod - 5.2 seconds, total lunatic! He'd been on a break for a while due to not being able to get high quality hydrogen peroxide I think!

I really fancy building a Triumph bobber over next winter, gonna have to rope my brother in for the fab work once he's finished his '30 Ford Model A hot rod though.

Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Freddy that's incredible! What a hero!

I saw Eric Teboul run the quickest ever 2 wheeled 1/4 mile on his rocket bike last year (or maybe '09?) at Santa Pod - 5.2 seconds, total lunatic! He'd been on a break for a while due to not being able to get high quality hydrogen peroxide I think!
Hmmmmm. The supply of hydrogen peroxide is a real problem, hence building my own plant. There was no point in building a bike if the supply of fuel is a problem. The only supplier in the Europe was Peroxide Propultion in Sweden, but they suffered a serious explosion and fire and have since stopped production last year. Hence Eric Tebouls break.

The problem with making high grade peroxide is not so much the distillation but removing the stabilizer. The stabilizer is added to slow down its natural decomposition in storage, but for rocket applications which use precious metal catalysts the stabilizer has to be removed by passing it trough an ion exchange column which can causes an exothermic reaction, and can run away and cause an explosion as was the case with Peroxide Propulsion.

http://www.portaltotheuniverse.org/b...ts/view/68331/

So I came up with an alternative system that uses commercially available stabilized 50% peroxide, no catalyst and produces more power. But that’s top secret !!!!!

Again thats on hold untill the Cougar is finshed
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #44

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

You're quite clearly a little bit insane, which they say comes with genius! The thing that really got me with Teboul's bike was the silence and tranquility on the start line, I can't even imagine how you'd prepare yourself for the launch!
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #45

Turbine projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Now that's incredible!!! I love it, just my kinda story. After hearing that, I just know the cougar is gonna turn out awesome!!

That does it, now I'm just gonna have to build myself something with a turbine. Now where did I leave that P18.....

James
The problem with turbine projects is that unless it is a high compression engine they are very inefficient. Most small turbine run at about 3.5:1 compression ratio and will consume half the amount of fuel at idle as they do under full power, my turbine bike will consume some 6 gallons in half an hour run time.

The only small high compression engine available is the Rolls Royce Alinson engine which will produce 300-450bhp and weigh in at 70kg. I did give this some serious consideration for the Cougar project, but they are very fragile and would not put up with the constant shock loading of a offshore power boat. People have connected them to jet drives on boats but they have only been used in lakes with calm water.
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #46
Martyn W

Interests: Burning fuel!!!
Boat name: The Magician, A Fine Pair
Boat make: ring20b, chriscraft stinger 26
Engines: merc XR2, 2X AQ311B 5.7's
Cruising area: channel islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
Same here mate GSXR1100'S kAWASAKI 1000/GPZ Turbo but none have the instant grunt of a tweaked V-Twin,

BTW you do know I am the Guernsey driving examiner for cars/lorries/bikes, and you have just confessed to cutting your L plates down!

Dont worry mate it doesnt bother me (unless you bring it up for test)

Steve
Lol, if I was to take my bike test I defo wouldn't take the test on the mille, it doesn't tend to like our 35mph speed limit with the Sprockets I'm running!!
I try to leave it in the garage as much as possible as I seem to be getting quite skilled at riding a uni-cycle

My nav man has a 05 zx10 r, just looking into a trip to the nurburg ring this summer on them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20110413_131337.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	30072  
martynwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #47
topgun

Interests: Boats/bikes/Black label
Boat name: Flash Back/Avenger/Anchor Management
Boat make: Sunseeker San Remo/mini cougar/Cougar cat 25/Avenger 21
Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8
Cruising area: C.I.Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynwilley View Post
Lol, if I was to take my bike test I defo wouldn't take the test on the mille, it doesn't tend to like our 35mph speed limit with the Sprockets I'm running!!
I try to leave it in the garage as much as possible as I seem to be getting quite skilled at riding a uni-cycle

My nav man has a 05 zx10 r, just looking into a trip to the nurburg ring this summer on them

My brother and a few mates did nurburg last year, full course through the trees.
He said it was a brave man who keeps the throttle pegged on the sweeping bend, he was on a blackbird and his mate had a new Gixer 1000 they loved it
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #48
Martyn W

Interests: Burning fuel!!!
Boat name: The Magician, A Fine Pair
Boat make: ring20b, chriscraft stinger 26
Engines: merc XR2, 2X AQ311B 5.7's
Cruising area: channel islands

Yeah iv been practicing the circuit on gt5 some nice tarmac!!!

The mille should go well but really looking forward to topping the zx10 out down the big straight. It's fully de-restricted with power commander and race-fit growler gp exhaust. Should smash the double ton!!!
martynwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #49

Interests: Offshore Racing

Motorbikes!

After my wife sold my boats! I have slowly been collecting bikes!

Suzuki VS800 Intruder, TZR 250, BMW F650, 200 Enduro, Italjet 50 Packaway, Honda ATC 70 ( For Sale ) , 3 Quad Bikes and a mini moto!!

Keeps the adrenalin pumping, we are a long time dead!!!
chiefscrutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Na, ex missus was ok with that one, but she did go mental when I built plant to distill hydrogen peroxide in the garage at the back of the house for a rocket bike project.

Bearing in mind that it can be a bit dangerous I moved it all to a contained on a farm. It was an old refrigerator container all nicely lined with white walls, I painted the floor, had all stainless tables, various test tubes and other chemicals, lab scales etc and looked just like a proper laboratory.

So also on this farm was a few small businesses, landscape gardening business, a mechanic, a car body shop and a builder etc. One morning I had to go into hospital for a few tests about lunch time I got board and went outside for a cigarette and switched my mobile phone on, only to find out I had nine missed calls from my brother. So when I rang him he explained that the chap on the farm with the landscaping business had phoned him to let him know that the police were doing a class ‘A’ drugs raid on the farm and were trying to gain access to my container. So I asked my brother if he would get the number of the officer in charge because I could just imagine them thinking that it was to do with drugs and carting my still which had a thousand pounds of hand blown custom glassware in to the back of a transitvan..

Twenty minutes later I got a call from the head of drug squad saying they had now managed to force access to my container and were very concerned about what they had found and asked if it was an amphetamines lab thinking that all there Christmases and birthdays had come at once. So I explained that it was a small plant for distilling hydrogen peroxide to rocket grade for a project.

Now, bearing in mind this was only a few months after the London bombings of which one of the chemicals used was Hydrogen peroxide everything now took a turn for the worst. Both end of the road were shut off, all the local houses were evacuated, a hundred yard exclusion zone was set up, and then they called anti terrorist unit, the army bomb disposal squad, the fire brigade, health and safety, the council and police forensics and they all converged on my box.

Well about five o’clock I got out of hospital and though I had better face the music and drove to the farm to be grated by the head of the drugs squad, he said he believed me that it was for a legitimate project but due to recent circumstances had to follow protocol but the council officials who were there still wanted a word with me. So whilst reading the riot act about what I could not do on an agricultural farm they said they were reporting me to the health and safety executive.

About a week later I got a phone call from head of health and safety who was also there explosive chemical process expert, so I though quickly and thanked him for his call and said that I always like to work with health and safely. So he asked me what I was doing, so I explained that it was a project, then he asked me how I was doing it so I explained, then he asked me what safety precautions I was tacking so I explained at which point he said well you obviously seem to know what you are doing so I wont bother comeing out to visiting you . At which point I said I was thinking in the future that I might step it up and do it on a commercial basis and what would be the situation then, he said well when you have around twenty tons then we will have to look a bit more seriously at you.

Hence the local papers that week sad “Police thought they had found a terrorist bomb factor turned out to be a mad rocket scientist”

Now she did have a total sense of humor failure about that one.
what an epic story..i love it,and heres me thinking this place just had grumpy boatys
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #51
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

What a lot of us have bikes... bikes n boats... BMW K1100LT, a bit sedate compared with some here but a match for a cabin rib I suppose.
Old 13-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #52

One thing I always notice....everyone I've known who has gone BMW never goes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw. View Post
What a lot of us have bikes... bikes n boats... BMW K1100LT, a bit sedate compared with some here but a match for a cabin rib I suppose.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #53

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
One thing I always notice....everyone I've known who has gone BMW never goes back.
Yeah i noticed that, i think its because parts and servicing is so expensive!

Badoomchink! thank you i am here all week, please......... try the veal.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #54

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

just kidding of course, great bikes. .. you just got to see long way round for evidence.
Old 14-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #55

Ducati 998 Final Edition..........more of an ornament now!!

Temporarily Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #56
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Watched him run yesterday at the Pod. 5.summat @ 245mph. a screw loose me thinks.

One of the fuel cars ran 5.2 / 289mph

All still a bit lame compared to Slamin Sammy's 3.81s @ 386mph (1/4m) or his 2.54s @ 319mph (1/8m) back 29 years ago

The Swipewipes livery looked good on Brian Paynes 'Stang'. He's still setting up after some changes, but managed a 8.7 @ 152mph.

Chaos was there too....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	30180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	30181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	30182   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050088.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	30183   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050092.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	30184  

Name:	P1050093.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	30185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	30187  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #57

Interests: Fast cars, bikes,quads, boats, going fast...etc
Boat name: Cheetah
Boat make: Hunton XRS37
Engines: Volvo D6 with DPR drives
Cruising area: So'hampton

Ducati Diavel Road Test

Having sat on the new Ducati at the Miami show in February we thought the styling and seating position to be really nice so on Good Friday we borrowed a bike from Moto Rapido in Winchester. Being full of anticipation and expectations we road cross country to Alton then back to to Hamble where we had a debrief as to it's plus and minus points:

Plus Points from the riders point of view:

1. Its a Ducati

Minus Points:

1.ABS breaking system has absolutely no feel ( in my opinion ABS is for sissie's anyway if you can't modulate your braking "DON'T RIDE" )
2.The chassis is under developed and been rushed to the market.
3. Although the centre of gravity is very low the very wide rear tyre has a much bigger contact area and when you run down ridges in the road it changes the centre of gravity which steers the bike particularly noticable at low speeds..
4. It also feels very poorly screwed together, lots of clunking and banging from the rear swing arm.
5. The slipper clutch is also very noisy and unnecessary if you blip on the downshift.

Plus Points from the pillions point of view:

1.It's a Ducati
2. A little more padding for my "BUTT - OCKS"

Minus Points
1. I can't see where we are going as the rear seat doesn't overlook the front..
2. The rear pegs are in completely the wrong position for comfortable riding especially if you have long legs like me, Peter could actually rest his arms on my knees OH!! maybe that should be a plus point from the rider's point of view...
3. The seating position is too close together and even with super smooth shifting and braking it is very difficult to avoid the occasional helmet clash!

In conclusion it is definitely NOT a bike for us maybe after a years development we will have another test to see if they have sorted out at least some of their issues, So we are going to stick with the Sreetfighter which is going on a carbon fibre diet.. and we are also going to drop two teeth of the front sprocket which will lower the overall gearing. Should be even more difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	30191  
peterunwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #58

Cruising area: southcoast

ducati

hi peter and co.i cant deside i thats a good looking bike or not kinda weirdly funky. hamble hot choc ?
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #59

Interests: Fast cars, bikes,quads, boats, going fast...etc
Boat name: Cheetah
Boat make: Hunton XRS37
Engines: Volvo D6 with DPR drives
Cruising area: So'hampton

Forgot to mention another important point the heat soak from the headers when you are "GIVING IT SOME" makes it unbearable had to ride with my right leg sticking out at an ungainly angle to stop it from being roasted...

Peter
peterunwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #60

Boat name: B-52
Cruising area: The Solent

WR250f anyone ?

Looks like a bargain. Forwarded to me from a friend. But i know nothing about it.

http://www.wightbay.com/XCClassified...asp?ID=3855196

gap52 is offline   Reply With Quote