Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Thread split from 'Furburger too' thread by JF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Now whose troublemaking.

Damn place is full of Shead boats.Spoilt for choice really.I may have the odd Shead sticker I could slap on D2S`s transom.You can admire it all the way to Torquay and back.
With 10 more feet, and well over twice the power, If we weren't 'following' D2S it would have to be an amazing cocktail of poor prep, design and driving, wouldn't you say??

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
With 10 more feet, and well over twice the power, If we weren't 'following' D2S it would have to be an amazing cocktail of poor prep, design and driving, wouldn't you say??
Cowes is going to be the first race for the boat subject to getting it finished. Whilst it’s nice to dream, it’s no spring chicken and it lacked the legs when it last had petrol’s fitted. I see no reason why it would be different now.
This is for Martin & I, life’s last great adventure, we are not looking to scorch a pace to Torquay & back we are wanting to just get back and complete the course. That to us will be wining.
Keeping a realistic outlook is the only sensible option. The combo is untried, untested & not finished to expect anything other than a finish flag would be very optimistic at best. If that makes it poor prep, poor driving or whatever we don’t mind but Team MWA are going to make it one heck of a day as it’s a life long dream to take part in the race for me, other team members can speak for themselves.
You and others are very lucky having already achieved this goal. It’s still something I have yet to attempt, let alone complete, it might all end it tears, but Team MWA are going give it a shot as best we can with very limited resources but an abundance of enthusiasm.

Mind you having said that to get home in front of the No 44 Phantom would be nice and the icing on the cake with a nice big glacier cherry to boot but not fussed either way, as long as we all get back safely having enjoyed the day & the racing.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
Cowes is going to be the first race for the boat subject to getting it finished.
The combo is untried, untested
Yes, I know that scenario well, except we had 1500 miles to cover in an untried or tested boat, not 200 and 3 weeks out, we didn't even have a deck.

What I don't get, is what seems to be a reccuring theme, where our little (and underpowered) class E/5 boat is apparently level pegged with boats from 2, or sometimes 3 classes above us. And the thought of beating it with a larger boat with 2.5 times the power is somehow an acheivment.

In normal offshore, one would never expect a IIIB boat to stay with a 4, or 6 litre boat, why is endurance different?

We are just bottom feeders, don't confuse us with the upper classes. Set ya sights on a worthy opponent, not someone from kinderclass.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Traveling

I actually think you have one heck of a well prepared, balanced reliable boat (straight out of the box into RB08 proved it) that should be a benchmark to any marathon boat, irrespective of class. To coin a phrase “it punches above its weight”.
Both Nick & you obviously work well & drive hard. I was picking up on the analogy that if we are behind at the finish it was down to what was it poor prep, design and driving. You can put a shot across the bow, thats racing fun banter but do expect a return of service once in a while

Bottom feeder - oh come on somebody gotta pic-up on that

Team25Racing.com

Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #5

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Yes, I know that scenario well, except we had 1500 miles to cover in an untried or tested boat, not 200 and 3 weeks out, we didn't even have a deck.

What I don't get, is what seems to be a reccuring theme, where our little (and underpowered) class E/5 boat is apparently level pegged with boats from 2, or sometimes 3 classes above us. And the thought of beating it with a larger boat with 2.5 times the power is somehow an acheivment.

In normal offshore, one would never expect a IIIB boat to stay with a 4, or 6 litre boat, why is endurance different?

We are just bottom feeders, don't confuse us with the upper classes. Set ya sights on a worthy opponent, not someone from kinderclass.
Jon,
I agree with you, you just don’t get it, its not your boat I want to beat its a man I respected I want to beat, I want to beat him in "just a load of old bits nailed together haphazardly for the purposes of unfairly winning a bet."

I received this message this morning and have kept the originators name out of the equation as It was a "Private Message" but I thought I would share it with you as it gave me a lift today.. I don’t know the chap and have never met him but his words are an inspiration to me

"Martin,

i am afraid i am one of the dreaded people who reads but never posts on here! mostly cos i will get abused as a rib nobber!

i think what you are doing to D2S is outstanding!! against the hundreds of people who told you it ist worth it, you budget is too small and you dont have the knowledge! i say screw them and get on with it!!!!

if it means getting a bit of racing history back on the water then you should be encouraged to the end!! unfortunatly i wont be on the water this year as we sold the boat to pay for some work on the house, next year when we are back, if i see you out will be sure to come and say hi!!

good luck and keep up the reports! its great so see something come back to life!

Kind regards"
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
Jon,
I agree with you, you just don’t get it, its not your boat I want to beat its a man I respected I want to beat,
So get a Class E boat and do it.

You can't 'beat' someone in a lower class, it doesn't compute. not anymore than 'beating' a Mini with a DB9. as for 'getting it'! righto, whatever.

I wonder if Hannes throws a party every time he beats a boat from 4 classes below him, somehow I doubt it.

A really good start to successful racing, would be aspiring to beat the boats in your class, or classes above you, not below.

BTW, he was right, Ribnobbas don't count, they're all stupid.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
So get a Class E boat and do it.

You can't 'beat' someone in a lower class, it doesn't compute. not anymore than 'beating' a Mini with a DB9. as for 'getting it'! righto, whatever.

I wonder if Hannes throws a party every time he beats a boat from 4 classes below him.
But I’ve got a 35 year old boat! By your own affirmation "Nailed Together" coupled with "an amazing cocktail of poor prep, design and driving" so you should make us look like "Bar Stool Racers"

The question is will you?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
But I’ve got a 35 year old boat!
Yawn! haven't you played that silly card enough yet. How old is CESA, or even La Grand Argentina for that matter. Our own boat is a 28 year old design.

I really think you should move on, enter a race, targeting folk in your own class and drop the whole campaign of talking up a good fight, albeit against the minnows, as that appears to be your dissapointingly low goal.

Personally, I've never stepped into a race situation where I haven't believed we had at least a chance of winning in class. I can't even begin to see the point in anything less. Of course, my belief hasn't always been perfectly placed, but it's always been there. It is therefore totaly alien to me that someone could have thier sights (and subsequent measurement of success/failure) on beating entries from way down the class structure.

John, 'punches above it's weight'. mmn, in class E, this might be the case when it roughs up, it certainly isn't when it's flat, as a few 'E' boats can run a full 20mph quicker than us, as proved on the flatter legs of RB08.
On a flat day, I'd expect those sprint boats to give you boys a very good run for your money, but when it's roughs up, our 32 is rather unlikely to punch above it's weight against considerably larger rough water boats, in 3 classes above us, now is it.

Come on girls, aim high (try it just this once)

Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Traveling

We will be racing against boats in our class, unless the rules have changed to allow us to run a boat in a class which in the sprit it was not intended or displacement exceeds.

We are going to have a blast on race day regardless. We have set our target, that target is to finish our very first marathon race at the first attempt. I hope we can be successful and join all in Cowes for the post race celebration on the day. If we finish placed in class several things will happen:
a. All of our team will be very drunk in the evening
b. A lot of piss taking doubters throughout the project will still take the piss
c. You would have been proved correct about the boats extra 10 feet & 2.5 times the power

If we finish last
a. All of our team will be very drunk in the evening
b. A lot of piss taking doubters throughout the project will still take the piss
c. You would have been proved incorrect about the boats extra 10 feet & 2.5 times the power

Point C from both the above is academic but looking back at RB08 I see you finished in front of Wetpunk & Red FTP, which part of the “amazing cocktail of poor prep, design and driving” did they suffer to have you finish in front? The statement is sweeping with no latitude but then it could just be “Racing” couldn’t it? It was that comment that started the current trend.
Sometime things just happen, Sometimes it’s just nice to finish and take things forward from that point. We will be out there in the correct class meeting the rules that are in effect & in the true sprit of the event, enjoying every blo*dy minute. Roll on August......................

Team25Racing.com

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #10

Well said John
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
numbskull

Yeah, very well said

I always knew we could easily wap Buzzi & Bohinc, they're feckin useless.

For the record, Buzzi's poor prep and driving was failing to read the chart at Portsmouth, and failing to produce an aftermarket engine oil pump that would stay together And Bohinc's poor prep was to let Buzzi leave his engine compartment air intakes facing forward on a race where rough water was highly likely, and choosing fragile Issota Franchini engines that struggled to complete a 200+ mile leg without the injectors falling out..(again buzzi's fault, as he won't let Bohinc have Seateks because he's fallen out with Bonomi)

There's an explanation for everything.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #12

Got another PM today that I thought I would share with you - again kept the originators name out of the equation as it was a P.M

Interestingly enough I have never me this chap and dont know him either but kind words are allways welcome..

"Hi Martin

I'm full of admiration and gratitude for what you are doing too..!! It will be fantastic to see D2S up-and-running and I wish you all the very best.

I called-in at Driver's on my way home on Saturday evening, but there was nobody about.

I appreciate that you must be incredibly busy at the moment, so i promise to take-up as little of your time as possible and not get in the way!

Anyway, to cut to the chase, would it be ok to call-by on Saturday? Will be good to meet you.
And "more power to you" for all that you're doing!!"
Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
numbskull

Yes, and I'd like to echo his comments.

What a guy! well done Pash, it's people like you that put the great in Great Britain.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #14

The only difference is Jon, the PM was sincere and unsolicited, and your one was..... well..... sad really....
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
numbskull

No, deliberately insincere and sarcastic, because that's what I think you deserve.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #16

Exactly... Sad Really.....
Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
numbskull

In your opinion.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #18

And those of others... but hey I know its all just fun
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
numbskull

maybe we need a poll

Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #20

Why have a poll - you would win hands down as its your ball and the votes would be counted by you, published on your Site... hardly a fair test of public opinion now is it really? Lets just wait till Cowes and see who wins (we have stated our goals and targets)