Go Back   Boatmad.com > Torkin Bollix
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 18-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #21

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

The cancer charities race is on I think the 7th of june organised by the Royal Motor Yacht Club in Poole .Its an all class all boat race of approx 35 miles and a good get together for ALL boats give them a ring re entry fee and def date.

the edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #22

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edge View Post
Get them all to enter the charity race in Poole in june what a great starting point .As I said before they tried to organise a Phantom challange years ago but not that many competed [advertising ? - I don't know] this site is a great medium get all your friends down there to beat any Honda's entered !
How about organising some basic races further north, I'm sure they would get a good responce.

Old 18-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #23

Back to you Den isn't that where you started.
Old 18-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #24

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Thumbs up Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
your garage in wiltshire,not a honda dealership is it,by any chance?also,honda are not paying for the series it is the likes of scott who are paying for it,do you actually know what honda charge to race in their series?as far as honda are concerned it is a self financing glorified advert,probably making a profit for them now,looking at the latest charges to join in with the racing.they want 30k of my mate andy musgrave to bring it to phwellei on may 10/11 as well as charging all the competitors fees.rip off. i could run this series for 50 years at this format and be a rich man at the end of it all.
Ive raced in the series now for 2 years, and have to say that it is a great atmosphere, well organised friendly but competitive. You can spend as much or as little as you like - but everybody always misses the point on here- its a one type series - everybody the same. You cant compare a batboat to a honda 225 or a phantom, or even a 150 to a phantom 21.

All the engines are mounted in the same place at the same height, all the props are controlled (yes a 225 will go over 70 and ive been in one with a 3 blade cleaver on it!) - but not in Honda legal race trim. Both classes have a minimum weight of 1120Kgs after racing - much heavier than classIII or OCR. Apples and Pears.

As for the engines, they are a consumer engine, this is not Merc racing stuff. Ive also got merc racing stuff, and it looks bombproof in comparison The whole point was to prove they could be raced. Which they have done extremely well. Im running a 2004 150 with over 300 hours on it, and it still dynos 153 HP at the prop - took us to 6th in the championships last year and that was with 2 retirements. 1 cause i broke my navigators arm (note to diary: must lose some weight for this season) 2. Battery box ripped out of floor of boat - in 2 seasons - 38 races including basics- no engine related failures.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to maintenance - a lot of people do just turn up, then wonder why things break.... and because Honda are very generous and give everyone a 2 year race warranty on the engines, the guys in the race truck get lumbered. The guy in the red boat wonders why the guy in yellow one is quicker, could it be something to do with the fact he spent 2 hours polishing his hull before it was dropped in the water? who knows.

Also, those people know who they are, but those that try to "bend" the rules tend to come unstuck mechanically - for instance using very thin out of spec oil to get a few more HP - Oil sensors then dont work properly and tend to back the engine off in rough water) and those that throw the bottle of octane boost in from halfords on the way to the race tend to find the ecu cant adjust that far and end up in an rpm restriced mode....

As for Phantoms - love em - if I had room id have one aswell with a 2.5 efi on it. I really enjoyed the Plymouth event last year where OCR, Honda, V24 and class III all were racing at the same event.

Honda dont make money on this, in fact I believe it is quite a sizeable investment - One observation I have never seen mercury (although i love their product) offer that size of investment to a series, or offer a race warranty!

I just want to race, Honda suits me very well at the moment, however when the cats finished - probably a Honda boat for sale at the end of the season!
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #25

Couldn't have put it better myself ,if my memory serves me correctly Dave Sewell went to the Mercury importers at that time and they didn't want to know Honda did ! more to do with reliability and emissions than out and out performance.
The Honda series is a great success story .
Old 18-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
wiggy808

Interests: wakeboarding, power boats, 900hp Audi
Boat name: Marshan19
Boat make: Marshan 19, Mirage 22
Engines: Mariner 200, 2.2 5cyl Audi

Are the entry numbers restricted in the honda classes? Also, are the entries on the up or down?

Just wondering that's all.
wiggy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #27

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy808 View Post
Are the entry numbers restricted in the honda classes? Also, are the entries on the up or down?

Just wondering that's all.
From what im hearing the 150's are up, the 225's maybe down a few - but its all rumour, but thats part of the fun, with a limited number of boats to change hands, and sharp eyes seeing whats coming out of the moulds at cougar its always a bit of brinkmanship from the teams on actually what they are up too till the first weekend! So i would wreckon 20 150 boats, and 17 225's

I know there are a number of new teams coming to 150 this year... Anyone want to own up on this forum?

The Force is offline   Reply With Quote