Old 22-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

The Bladerunner project....

As no one wants to buy the thing from me, I have made the decision to try and turn it into a usable boat.

First step is to clear out the very crappy interior. Two days spent ripping and pulling and tearing... I have removed over 500kg of foam, vynal, fake suede, pine wood strips, lighting, oldwiring, radar & radar arch.

So with the boat 500kg lighter it is now off to my favourite boat repair shop. 500kg of lightness should help with the speed at top end, but there are still issues with the boat hull and dynamic performance of the hull in the water.

So, for the next few weeks my favourite boat shop will make some surgical alterations to the hull and tunnels. Cutting out bits, gluing on other bits and reshaping others - miracles will be performed. Additional remedial work to the spray rails, front end and rear sponsons should make the boat less likely to kill someone.

Then some balance work. Moving the centre of gravity away from the front of the boat and closer to the rear, so the boat actually balances on the second step will require the removal of the fuel tanks from the front of the boat, and their installation in the rear section.

Some final work on removing heavy items like the glassed hatch door over the rear section, and removing storage floors in the front section of the hull should save an additional 300kg of weight.

The final version - hopefully a faster, much lighter boat will then be tested to see if the hull alterations have changed the hull performance. If all is well, it will be re-sprayed and the interior flowcoated and some decking fitted.

Wish me luck.

( I will say however it was very plesent taking a hammer to the boats interior! )
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote