Boatmad.com

Old 10-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #1

Interests: Getting Wet
Boat make: Bernico

Nationals - Tournament

Guys

Was speaking with some friends about the nationals and we were just wondering if having a national championship over a week, at one venue would be a good idea? Whats your thoughts?

The reason we came up with the idea is due to the recent worlds champs and the great atmosphere there. We understand that it may not offer the different water like grand prix style series, but was just an idea?? Also we understand the fact that money wont be recieved by each club with hospitaility and what not revenue, but maybe that could be solved.

Whats you intial thoughts? Has this been attempted before? It proves to be a success in most other sports. (World Cup and even disiplines within the watersports world).

Post your views. Its just an idea, so keep that in mind!

Skifaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #2

Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 2.5efi

I think it would be a good idea and it has been talked about before. It would also free up time for more club racing which is the only way we are going to bring new people into the sport. As dazza has already mentioned the numbers have seriously dropped now and in every formula there are few boats, which is ok if your'e a trophy/anchor/lighthouse hunter, but no good if you want to have a race.

Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Only trouble is what happens if you get boat trouble because it would ruin the whole championship giving you no time to repair
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 AM   #4

Interests: Getting Wet
Boat make: Bernico

Yes, I see Burty's point and it would really be s**t if you had boat trouble. Thats a big negative.

I feel its a weigh up of the good against the bad and I personally think it would be a more attractrive occasion. It will allow great hospitality, good entertainments, proper photograhpy/video etc, proper spectator areas, brochures and all that. The whole occasion would be more attractive to those who want to ski nationally and decide not to for the large costs.

I know for a fact that there is a few skiers out there that are national standard and beyond but cant make the champs for commitment reasons outside sking, family and money. This isnt helping the numbers and as dangerous said, isnt helping the fact of having a good old race. If I was a national champ, I would want to be that bu beating the best, not the three that I raced.

In regards to the boat breaking down, I think the possiblity of achieving a pull from a spare boat that may be lying around may help cure this. Again for example there is many boats going unused in the UK, maybe a family going to watch and ski on the off days will have these boats?? Again, just a suggestion.

Maybe a try and see maybe useful?? Maybe run alongside the exisiting series format!?

Skifaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #5

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

Thumbs up National Weekend

I think that it would be quite a good idea.
It would depend on the location as to how well the event turned out.

It would be no good for example holding an event somewhere that is too tidal to launch when the tide is out.

Equally the venue should have enough hotels and night life to support all the teams and spectators.

Somewhere like Plymouth or Torquay for Example would be good as there are also enough launch sites there for different water conditions.

This would help to introduce more Club races and give those entering the sport more time on the water in race conditions.

It would also help those who want to race at National level but can't commit the time throughout the whole summer.

I would be up for trying this format.

Cyco
Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #6

I think its a good idea! Great idea in fact.

I liked the Brixham water and I know/hear that Torquay has a night life, although a massively long way to travel, if the racing was guranteed then that shouldnt be a problem. Cardiff is a quite a good option, although the course isnt favoured by some, but I think it offers quite good varying conditions.

I think it should be discussed at the Forum and tried at least. If it dont work then at least its been tried.

Whats the other current National skiers think?
eric-shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #7

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

The main problems with a week of racing are:

1: As our series is 8 races, how can you fit this into a week of racing, maybe 4 races and 4 at other venues

2: The cost of organising and running such an event would be high

3: The organisation would probably be left to two or three people

4: If you are injured, no time for recovery

5: The chance of breaking down and not being able to repair your boat are high

6: Keeping ski fit with no other races or long gaps between races, on the water training is never the same as racing

7: If you are doing Europeans or Worlds then a week has already been taken up with the national series

Just a few thoughts
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #8

Interests: My Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Boat name: Retired
Boat make: Retired
Engines: Retired
Cruising area: London

A race on the River Thames in London! i know it was talked about years ago! but why has no one pushed for this to happen! we raced on a river in Austria last weekend and this weekend we are off to the Diamond race which is also on a river but its not surrounded by the City of London! we have this great City in your country with the river Thames running through it yet there has never been a water ski race on it as yet!!!
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #9

Raced at Victoria Docks in the early eighties, last time an event was organised to be held there, someone ran off with all the money, hence no race.

It's a shame that more competitors don't or wont support the the river race at Marnham.

Anyhow the green activists would be up in arms of the thought that we may pollute the water with our outboards, perhaps they should think where there sh*t ends up.
Old 21-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Wacky Racer
Raced at Victoria Docks in the early eighties, last time an event was organised to be held there, someone ran off with all the money, hence no race.

It's a shame that more competitors don't or wont support the the river race at Marnham.

Anyhow the green activists would be up in arms of the thought that we may pollute the water with our outboards, perhaps they should think where there sh*t ends up.
Went to the race on Victoria docks, remember it well, saw meself on TV standing next to Liz Hobbs! there are plenty of docks in London but no one has every tryed to arrange another race on them!
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #11

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Raced at Victoria Docks in the early eighties,
I took my wife, although she was a girlfriend at that time, to that race, and she's never ever forgiven me! She got her own back a few years later by organising a holiday to Tunisia.
Old 21-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #12

Interests: Retired Ski Racer, Ski Racing Photography, Steam Railway Fireman

Re: National Weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco
Somewhere like Plymouth or Torquay for Example
Why not just hold all future races in the South West and with the current turn out, call them regionals
all steamed up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Davis
I took my wife, although she was a girlfriend at that time, to that race, and she's never ever forgiven me! She got her own back a few years later by organising a holiday to Tunisia.
What did you do? push her in !!!
Old 22-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
What did you do? push her in !!!
I bet she had the hump cause there were no shops near there