Boatmad.com

Old 15-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Interests: Water Ski Racing, Basic Racing
Boat name: Bad Boy 717, Hotshot 777
Boat make: Phantom 21, Phantom 21
Engines: JSRE Merc 2.5 EFIss 280hp, Merc 2.5 x 2
Cruising area: Weymouth, Weston and rest of UK

Sad loss of Karl Brooks

Britain's Karl Brooks was killed whilst out practicing on Lake Mead, Nevada on Thursday. His family were shocked to receive the tragic news a few hours ago at 3am Friday morning (UK time).

Karl was 25 years old and one of the nicest people in our sport. Far beyond his ability to ski, was the fun, lively and positive character of a guy who had so many friends and who was liked for being the great person he was.

Having just got off the phone from Martin Brooks, I have been asked to let everyone known about this. It's not easy for me to conjour up words right now as this is so upsetting, but below is an extract from a letter I wrote about Karl 6 months ago and it describes this wonderful lad.

I have known Karl since he was born. His mother and grandfather were in fact water ski racing competitors in my home club of Penarth, Britain, and good friends. I can vividly recall the day that I observed for Karl in one of his early British National races and it is incredible to see a novice skier go on to become one of the finest water ski racing athletes in the world.

Not only is Karl an exceptional athlete whose success is borne from tenacity, commitment and extraordinary ability, but he is one of the most likeable young men in this highly competitive sport. He is the epitome of a true sportsman who excels on the world stage, yet who remains a down to earth man with a splendid personality.

I have witnessed Karl's sporting career blossom into a long series of remarkable performances which have resulted in him becoming the current European Water Ski Racing Champion and four-time British Champion. Among other international successes, Karl's extraordinary ability was best seen at the 2005 World Championships when he won the Silver medal. Having watched him progress to this level, the Gold medal is but one step away from this most gifted athlete.

Karl's achievements have resulted in numerous TV and Radio appearances and a personal meeting with the British Prime Minister's wife at her home, which was arranged by the British Sports Minister. Karl is a shining example of what any nation's sporting ambassadors should be.

I have great respect for the fact that Karl shares his knowledge and talent with young aspiring athletes in a bid to help them to excel in the sport. Karl's training and sporting spirit in fact helped Britain's Kim Lumley become a World Champion. This is a shining example of Karl's extraordinary ability in the sport, both here and abroad.

I have spoken with other people this morning who are all upset over this. I know hundreds will be truly saddened by the loss of Karl. Let our thoughts be with Karen and Martin, his two brothers Kurt and Scott, his grandparents (who have all been involved in ski racing) and the other members of the family that Karl has left behind. And of course with Karl, who had so much going for him.

I know many people will want to write some words about Karl and for his family. Please use the comments section in the posting which will appear on www.skirace.net later today.

Yours in ski racing,
Robbie Llewellyn

Bad Boy 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

How very very sad. Each loss in our expanded sport is a tragedy and we are diminished by them.

Our thoughts and sympathy are with his family and friends.

Old 17-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Boat make: p 21
Engines: XR2

A tragic loss, heartfelt sympathy to all his family.
Rob21 is offline   Reply With Quote